Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

R1Soft Question - SSH Key instead of Password?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

R1Soft Question - SSH Key instead of Password?

Hi,

I have bought a managed R1Soft service to make offsite backups from my servers and after sign-up the provider asked me for my server IP + Hostname + SSH Root login Password access.

The problem is that on my servers I have SSH Password login disable. I only allow SSH Key access for better security.

So I asked the provider if R1Soft could work with SSH Key instead on SSH Password and he said is not possible.

This is the first time i'm using R1Soft, so can anyone please confirm this information? R1Soft does not support SSH Key?

If SSH Key, really does not work with R1Soft, what is the alternative and best secure solution to have? Should enable SSH Password Login and create a new SUDO account just for R1Soft or R1Soft needs to be root?

Thanks

Comments

• beardlynessbeardlyness Member
    edited November 2016

Hello,

Why do you need "managed" services if you don't mind me asking. Also SSH keys are the easiest thing to setup. If they say they don't "support" it that's BS, and I would definitely move away from that company.. If you're still wanting to stay try to educate them on SSH keys cause it seems they're lost on that subject. Ultimately you can setup a sudo user and give it a ridiculous 256 character password just to mess with them.

Hope this helps.

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

R1soft does not require your root password to work. They should have given you the command to execute then they will be able to connect in to start doing backup.

• @ExpertVM said:
    R1soft does not require your root password to work. They should have given you the command to execute then they will be able to connect in to start doing backup.

Well if you want to do backups only look into FTP Sync or Rsync etc.

• Hi all,

Thanks for your help. The problem was some confusion on communication between me and the provider.

They only need the SSH login if i want them to setup R1Soft on my server as a managed service. If i don't want to share my SSH login info i must setup the R1Soft agent myself.

Problem is solved! Thanks