Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

minecraft hosting - off the shelf or DIY?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

minecraft hosting - off the shelf or DIY?

LeechumLeechum Member
edited November 2016 in Help

hey, looking for some advice here. I want to set up a minecraft server for upto 6 players and just wondering would it be better for me to order off the shelf one or try to manage it myself using one of my boxes?
also any recommendations for European providers?

thanks

Comments

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

Depends how it works out economically for you. Our Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale brings us down to $3/GB for our budget London location: https://spartanhost.org/minecraft

Coupon: bf40-2016

• thanks, is it OVZ or KVM?

• NoCommentNoComment Member
    edited November 2016

I'll be utterly honest with you, I think you should expect to be able to host 1 player/100 mb of ram. There's probably zero difference between ordering a vps that comes pre-installed to host a minecraft server and setting it up yourself, so personally I wouldn't pay a premium just to save some time. Also, since there's probably only going to be 6 players, OVZ is sufficient since you won't need much cpu. (Considering how virmach has a preinstalled minecraft image, I'd probably go for a cheap OVZ offer from them... Or maybe time4vps or aruba or some cheapass provider -- I mean, its just you and your friends right? It won't hurt to have a little bit of downtime occasionally)

Thanked by 1Leechum
  • thanks, it's for the kids actually, there won't be more than 5-6 players tops at the same time. was thinking about setting up a voice server so they can communicate

• @Leechum said:
    hey, looking for some advice here. I want to set up a minecraft server for upto 6 players and just wondering would it be better for me to order off the shelf one or try to manage it myself using one of my boxes?
    also any recommendations for European providers?

thanks

A minecraft host is not worth it in my opinion. Oversold and incredibly poor performance for the most part as it's a race to the bottom and I've seem them as low as $1 per GB. Latency isn't too big of a factor in Minecraft from my experience so you can pretty much consider most locations but if the main audience is EU then definitely pick EU :P

If it's just a basic Minecraft server then you'll have no issues with regards to RAM but if you're doing heavily modified a lot more RAM and CPU will be required.

Maybe @Ishaq has something in NL that might work.

Thanked by 1Ishaq
  • If it's for the kids, I'd totally pay more for a good and reliable kvm located in eu ;)

• ivanhivanh Member
    edited November 2016

I haven't setup a MC server before so there may be better panels/scripts out there, but I use https://gameservermanagers.com/ for most my games and voice servers.

Ez install ez maintenance

Edit: https://minerack.org/ from buyvm who are pretty well respected around here. $2/1GB RAM to avoid setup and maintenance (y)

Thanked by 1Leechum
  • 1GB Netherlands KVM

2GB Netherlands KVM

100% CPU use is acceptable, so perfect for Minecraft.

Thanked by 1Leechum
  • @Leechum said:
    thanks, it's for the kids actually, there won't be more than 5-6 players tops at the same time. was thinking about setting up a voice server so they can communicate

Get a 2GB KVM, run minecraft on the box, and voice server

• @ivanh said:
    Edit: https://minerack.org/ from buyvm who are pretty well respected around here. $2/1GB RAM to avoid setup and maintenance (y)

pity there's no stock

@Ishaq said:
    1GB Netherlands KVM

2GB Netherlands KVM

100% CPU use is acceptable, so perfect for Minecraft.

thanks

• @ivanh I heard that MineRack was shutting down? Pls confirm @Francisco

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Correct, I don't have the time to take care of it and I could use the power on other things, like slices.

Francisco

• @Ishaq it seems I've been marked as fraud, can you have a look, invoice #8360. thanks

• MaherMaher Member
    edited November 2016

@Leechum , you could always check for our Game VPS with Game Anti DDoS Protection.
    sharpservers.net/gamevps

• sorry sharpie, I don't like winter hosts

@Leechum said:
    sorry sharpie, I don't like winter hosts

I've been honoring MR pricing at BuyVM if you let me know what plan you're wanting. It almost always ends up with me rounding down, but yeah.

The CPU's would be L5639's which are fine if you're doing spigot and not an FTB.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Foul
  • Pick up an KS-1 from kimsufi.com and you are save

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I have Minecraft and OpenVZ in EU, Minecraft starts at $4.5/qrt which would be enough for a couple players. If you're just running vanilla you could use basically any server, resource usage is low after the popular parts of the world are generated.

• @Leechum said:
    @Ishaq it seems I've been marked as fraud, can you have a look, invoice #8360. thanks

Sorted!

Thanked by 1Leechum
  • @Francisco said:

@Leechum said:

I've been honoring MR pricing at BuyVM if you let me know what plan you're wanting. It almost always ends up with me rounding down, but yeah.

The CPU's would be L5639's which are fine if you're doing spigot and not an FTB.

Francisco

I had a 1GB plan for a friend a while back if you're willing to honour it ;)

@doghouch said:

@Francisco said:

@Leechum said:

Francisco

Sure, but it can't be used to replace another plan with us ;p

It'd be $3.50/month for 2GB RAM, 20G SSD.

Francisco

• teamaccteamacc Member
    edited November 2016

@Francisco said:

@doghouch said:

@Francisco said:

@Leechum said:

Francisco

Francisco

Lowest slice has 2gb now?

edit: my bad, wasn't looking at minecraft hosting

@teamacc said:

@Francisco said:

@doghouch said:

@Francisco said:

@Leechum said:

Francisco

Francisco

Lowest slice has 2gb now?

No, this is just a special deal for users off our Minerack brand. I don't have the time, energy, or real interest to continue with it since I can make a lot more money off the IP addresses and even the power those nodes are using.

I'm willing to give some deals to people looking to move over to it, but I gain the perk of not having to pay for Multicraft licensing costs or having to deal with that headache. Users are expected to handle their own servers as well.

Francisco

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited November 2016

@Francisco good deal; link? OVH is still cheaper, but I'd much rather have at least 1mbit/sec available. After Black Friday/CM, the network has turned into a complete and utter piece of shit. (aka. slower than it's already slow and dying state)

@doghouch said:
    @Francisco good deal; link? OVH is still cheaper, but I'd much rather have at least 1mbit/sec available. After Black Friday/CM, the network has turned into a complete and utter piece of shit. (aka. slower than it's already slow and dying state)

Just get me your Frantech email in PM or email me at [email protected] and i'll have billing arrange it and i'll shove you over to the right node.

Danke,

Francisco

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited November 2016

@Francisco said:

@doghouch said:

Just get me your Frantech email in PM or email me at [email protected] and i'll have billing arrange it and i'll shove you over to the right node.

Danke,

Francisco

Will do, sending a ping over now. btw, just to confirm, it's one CAD, not USD, right?

• I've configured a ton of MC servers. It all about the plugins. If you configure them right you can pull it of on a 512MB ram server, SSD/RAID disk and any cpu with a clock speed of 2,8Ghz or higher. Core count doesn't matter as MC is pretty much single-threaded.

@doghouch said:

@Francisco said:

@doghouch said:

Danke,

Francisco

Will do, sending a ping over now. btw, just to confirm, it's one CAD, not USD, right?

USD, we both know the CAD's not worth jack.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Foul
  • @Francisco said:

@doghouch said:

@Francisco said:

@doghouch said:

Danke,

Francisco

USD, we both know the CAD's not worth jack.

Francisco

Damn, but it's still a pretty good deal. :)