Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many tor relays currently do you have? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many tor relays currently do you have?

2»

Comments

• @deadbeef said:

@Lunar said:

@deadbeef said:

@Lunar said:
    Why do you even attack me? Saying I'm qualified for McDonalds... I didn't just wake up and decide it's safe. I've decided it's safe because it IS safe and has been proven to be. The only true attack vectors are through the TBB (Firefox). Tor itself is safe. Yes I know there is 3 hops... I'm just using Tor's own wording because Tor's mascot is an onion.. Which has multiple layers.. Do I really need to explain myself?

You do realize that you again just said "it's safe because I woke up one morning and decided so", right?

You're not even attempting to counter my argument that in practice IT IS safe. If you use Tor properly and aren't stupid, it's going to work as intended. Now if you're not going to give me facts I'm just going to leave this argument. You're wasting my time.

You have made no argument. You have only made statements. I assume you have graduated from kindergarten and therefore you should have been aware of the difference.

Surely you don't count "I woke up one day and decided it's safe" as an argument.It follows then that there exists nothing to counter. To put it mildly, we are still at the step where I am simply mocking your statements.

Okay.. You're clearly immature. Attacking me on a personal level doesn't make your argument valid. I'm not going to waste my time talking to you anymore.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • LayerLayer Member
    edited November 2016

It's like using Gmail/Hotmail while it's already compromised by governments'.

Avoiding government compromised services means trusting third party person (mxroute for example).

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited November 2016

@Lunar said:

@deadbeef said:

@Lunar said:

@deadbeef said:

@Lunar said:
    Why do you even attack me? Saying I'm qualified for McDonalds... I didn't just wake up and decide it's safe. I've decided it's safe because it IS safe and has been proven to be. The only true attack vectors are through the TBB (Firefox). Tor itself is safe. Yes I know there is 3 hops... I'm just using Tor's own wording because Tor's mascot is an onion.. Which has multiple layers.. Do I really need to explain myself?

You do realize that you again just said "it's safe because I woke up one morning and decided so", right?

You're not even attempting to counter my argument that in practice IT IS safe. If you use Tor properly and aren't stupid, it's going to work as intended. Now if you're not going to give me facts I'm just going to leave this argument. You're wasting my time.

You have made no argument. You have only made statements. I assume you have graduated from kindergarten and therefore you should have been aware of the difference.

Surely you don't count "I woke up one day and decided it's safe" as an argument.It follows then that there exists nothing to counter. To put it mildly, we are still at the step where I am simply mocking your statements.

Okay.. You're clearly immature. Attacking me on a personal level doesn't make your argument valid. I'm not going to waste my time talking to you anymore.

Immature? Is that like some kind of insult you are trying to express? Because here I was having fun at your demonstrated inability of using the basic tenets of logic and somehow you're feeling sour about it and can't resist the urge to express yourself in such a way so as to avoid the iconification of intellectual competence feeling bad? Right.

Furthermore, I am not sure why you equate my mocking of your words as a personal attack. Clearly, I do not plan to enslave you or cut off parts of you, so how does that constitute an attack? Are your words by matter of definition the antithesis of foolishness? If not, how is the description of their inadequacy of conforming to reality an attack and not merely an act of describing the said inadequacy? And, to be blunt, why do you feel that you being lacking on this department, is a shameful event, worthy of being attacked as?

• Talking about security in absolutes is immature. The first lesson of security is that nothing and nobody is perfect, and no tool is going to do everything. One has to plan every situation specifically and know that the quality of the result is limited by, and can only be as good as, one's skill level.

Thanked by 2beardlyness Yura
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@deadbeef You know what I just edited. Just one step too far. I feel like we're cool enough that I can do that and you'll understand.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
    edited November 2016

@jarland said:
    @deadbeef You know what I just edited. Just one step too far. I feel like we're cool enough that I can do that and you'll understand.

No problem. Had to read a bit to realize which one of them :D I was just picking them out of the rolodex to check for the responses. Gotta keep those provocateur skills honed. Sorry for busting your balls - wasn't my intention - getting out of the thread. Cheers.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2016

It doesn't matter if an exit node is compromised, because:

1) nobody sane does any plain protocol over Tor anyways (only browse HTTPS websites, connect to IRC using SASL and TLS, etc, so that an exit node can't capture or mess with your traffic);

2) as mentioned above, there are three hops in a circuit, and those controlling the exit node STILL can't find your real IP address. Even with controlling two of the three it's still going to be tricky; and as long as regular non-evil people like us also run relays, the likelihood of that will be low.

Thanked by 4Ole_Juul Yura Lunar Layer
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited November 2016

Domin43 said: If you try to introduce several high BW relays at once it causes suspicion and they may just ban them and tell me to get on IRC

I provide multiple Gbit and NEVER had this issue, this ONLY happens if they are inside the same network or /24 and this is NOT admin ban but automatic by the network.

Lunar said: and someone's real interested in finding out who runs the other half

A bunch are owned by a company on the Seychelles with no owner. Secure enough. One is incorporated in Liberia which has no government to speak of, a few are in countries with none either.

Not a risk at this time.

Further, moot, SSL is uncracked - run plaintext over an exit and you are an idiot anyway and deserve it.

deadbeef said: Any specific reason why the exact opposite argument doesn't carry the exact same weight?

The fucking Tor source? The chaining is secure and unless you are a top level actor, in which case acting would be not in your interest anyway, there is zero way to reverse it at this time. Zero cases in any court worldwide (both US and EU disclose sentences semi-public; EU just no/not much content) have been decided by a reversed Tor chain or a cracked SSL certificate of a HTTPS/SSL connection on an exit.

deadbeef said: The choice of your words implies you don't know even realize that there exist exactly 3 hops in any given Tor circuit.

Wrong, internal (onion) is NOT a 3 chain. You seem to have no idea.

jarland said: Tell me what barriers exist between the same person being in charge of both your relays and exit nodes?

The entry, bridge and it is not much relevant, you cannot prove the traffic is the same unless you hold all keys which is naturally impossible if the connection is end-to-end encrypted. This is not enough evidence for a sentence in the US in any way without either compromising your source computer or the target server.

jarland said: Anyone with real security concerns would probably be moving away from TOR right now precisely for the reason that intelligence agencies will be and are highly interested in compromising it.

Bullshit, as there is nothing that comes even near in terms of network size and security - all others are BY DEFAULT due to less nodes more insecure. No point.

Thanked by 2rm_ J1021
  • mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

Lunar said: and someone's real interested in finding out who runs the other half

A bunch are owned by a company on the Seychelles with no owner. Secure enough. One is incorporated in Liberia which has no government to speak of, a few are in countries with none either.

Real trust-worthy bunch who I'm sure have never thought of just handing over the relays for a few million $_$

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited November 2016

mailcheap said: Real trust-worthy bunch who I'm sure have never thought of just handing over the relays for a few million $_$

Handing over a relay is pointless? It only sees relay/bridge and exit traffic, if at all, encrypted by keys it does not have and will never get. Buying all relays would help you but as at least 25% are ran by reputable organizations (eg. Torservers) gaining a network majority is very unlikely without major notice.

Kind of hard to also pay someone for something if you do not know the owner (in SC you do not need to have one at this time; a lawyer is all entered and you never have to show any ID unless you want a bank account).

Your entire point is also idiotic as i can just avoid the owner entirely and pay the DC; the IP of the relay/exit is after all public.

Please figure out how Tor and public/private cryptography as well as SSL/TLS works (and then also quantum computing to reverse RSA/DSA, then you can go on to quantum safe algorithms).

Same for an exit, as long as the stream is encrypted controlling it is pointless - The Iranians turn on exits inside Iran all the time (for whatever reason, it is fairly pointless, everyone knows it's the gov as normal connections can't even connect and surely not run relay/exit) which are nearly immediately kicked automatically as bad.

Thanked by 2rm_ Layer
  • This is why im here, keep on the discussion. Good stuff.

Oh.. is cyber monday... $

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2016

@William said:

Tor is broken; sure every platform has its proponents but why hold onto a platform that is broken by design and is ripe for exploits?

Member Riffle?

• Despite saying I was out of this thread, I'm going to respond because it's @William.

@William said:

deadbeef said: Any specific reason why the exact opposite argument doesn't carry the exact same weight?

The fucking Tor source? The chaining is secure and unless you are a top level actor, in which case acting would be not in your interest anyway, there is zero way to reverse it at this time. Zero cases in any court worldwide (both US and EU disclose sentences semi-public; EU just no/not much content) have been decided by a reversed Tor chain or a cracked SSL certificate of a HTTPS/SSL connection on an exit.

a) Your argument is exactly the same as "OpenSSL is secure, see the source." We all know how that one ended.

b) Take a look at the Tor blog for a history and technical explanation of real-world-already-done attacks. Sure, they're not 100% no-false-positive but when was that a requirement.

deadbeef said: The choice of your words implies you don't know even realize that there exist exactly 3 hops in any given Tor circuit.

Wrong, internal (onion) is NOT a 3 chain. You seem to have no idea.

a) Who cares about internal?

b) So you used a bridge and got an extra hop. Such wow.

c) You do know that the number 3 was chosen by the core devs for a reason, right?

• I run 1 exit node and 2 relays

• I wouldnt run an exit node because of abuse, but Im looking into running a relay.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2016

deadbeef said: Who cares about internal?

Anyone with a clue? Hidden .onion sites are a major use of Tor. You could almost say the ability to exit to the plain Internet is secondary. Honestly at this point you're being an annoying dork just on purpose, to not get "proven wrong". Kindly shut the fuck up and go away already.

Thanked by 1Layer
  • @rm_ said:

Anyone with a clue? Hidden .onion sites are a major use of Tor. You could almost say the ability to exit to the plain Internet is secondary.

Sure buddy. I'm pretty sure you have plenty of data that compares onion vs exit usage to back that up... oh wait.

Honestly at this point you're being an annoying dork just on purpose, to not get "proven wrong". Kindly shut the fuck up and go away already.

Please Mr. Big Bad @deadbeef, don't be so mean to my feeelz. I don't care about facts, I just want to circlejerk quietly.

• LayerLayer Member
    edited November 2016

Guys, I asked how many tor relays currently you have.

If you don't like tor or don't want use/plan please leave.

Some persons talking like security experts showing security issues in tor.

"Hey, I read this article and it says tor is not secure!!"

edited November 2016

@Layer said:
    If you don't like tor or don't want use/plan please leave.

I love tor. All my junk traffic goes through there. And to top it off, I don't run any relay, I just leech traffic.

Some persons talking like security experts showing security issues in tor.

I know right? Like, how can one go say it's secure without being a hardened security expert? No responsibility for fellow people's security, I'll tell you that. Sad

@rm_ said:

Anyone with a clue? Hidden .onion sites are a major use of Tor. You could almost say the ability to exit to the plain Internet is secondary. Honestly at this point you're being an annoying dork just on purpose, to not get "proven wrong". Kindly shut the fuck up and go away already.

Keep it civil.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • LayerLayer Member
    edited November 2016

@deadbeef said:
    I know right? Like, how can one go say it's secure without being a hardened security expert? No responsibility for fellow people's security, I'll tell you that. Sad

You exactly CAN'T understand what others have pointed to you.

But hey you're security expert. Sorry kid.

@Layer said:

@deadbeef said:

To be clear, literally no one has pointed anyone to anything. This is just conversation here.

• @Layer said:

@deadbeef said:

Sure pal, whatever makes you feel warm in the belly.

I wonder. How does it feel to be twice wrong on a single small line of text? Never experienced that, do share please.

• @jarland please close thread because it goes nowhere due to kid.

• @Layer said:
    @jarland please close thread because it goes nowhere due to kid.

Just don't forget to send the mandatory sobbing with a shoe on head pic.

@Layer said:
    @jarland please close thread because it goes nowhere due to kid.

Roger that. I see it that way too.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
This discussion has been closed.