Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Call for Scaleway reviews
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Call for Scaleway reviews

Hey,

I have been seeing mixed reviews for Scaleway on the internet, including LET. I know some hosting providers may improve or get worse over time.. so at this current time, if you use scaleway, please provide your feedback. My main interest is in their dedicated servers starting at 2.99 Euros per month.

Questions:
1. How do you feel about your current service?
2. Do you have free reinstalls on OS?
3. Do you have unlimited free reintalls on OS?
4. Are reinstalls automated do you have to submit a ticket? if ticket, what is average turnaround time?

Comments

• https://www.scaleway.com/pricing/ is the reference link for pricing.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Never used them, hear mixed reviews, but why ask us, you already said you think we are useless here and this forum is pointless.

• bersybersy Member
    edited November 2016

Just test it yourself for free http://instantcloud.io/

Thanked by 1ehab
  • Tried arm "dedicated" server and did not like it.
    The main issue is, it is not really fully "dedicated", storage is still shared/network based and "not very fast".
    CPU itself is slow too, with very low single-core performance, and no hardware aes...
    It may be good for experimentation, but for any real task simple kvm vps with the same price will be better IMO.

• bersybersy Member
    edited November 2016

@Gamma17 they have been offering Atom (server edition) based dedis too for some time now.

• M_OrdinateurM_Ordinateur Member
    edited November 2016

The disks are sluggish networked SSDs without any RAID or duplication. The only plan with a local SSD is the most expensive one.

@bersy The Avotons are still slower than your typical Xeon

• bersybersy Member
    edited November 2016

M_Ordinateur said: SSDs without any RAID or duplication

Software RAID is actually supported, albeit with some reservations.

M_Ordinateur said: @bersy The Avotons are still slower than your typical Xeon

Yes, sir, and that's obvious.

• @bersy Even then, it's not fair to call networked storage 'Local Volumes' when these disks are anything but local

• M_Ordinateur said: @bersy Even then, it's not fair to call networked storage 'Local Volumes' when these disks are anything but local

I wonder where exactly did you find term 'local' regarding their SSD storage volumes?

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited November 2016

I have one in AMS (€2.99 one , non-arm cores), they are using the Avoton C2750 CPU's on their host nodes. Performance is a bit meh, SSD's are network attached, getting around 200MB/s I/O.

I can max the network at around 200-220Mbps, but that's it, not higher, although the guaranteed speed is 200Mbps.

I tried using OpenVPN on this server, but I could not get past 35-40Mbps download and upload speed, while on my PIA VPN I can get around 350Mbps download and upload (this is on a 500/500 fiber home connection).

It's great for testing purposes, and maybe for hosting a small website, but that's about it.

• bersy said: I wonder where exactly did you find term 'local' regarding their SSD storage volumes?

Right on the page you linked:

Local Volumes

Each server has access to a pool of local drives. These drives are exported to servers via the NBD protocol which effectively makes them network drives. [...]

Local volumes are 100% SSD drives which are able to deliver a lot of IOPS and are perfect for random read/write patterns. The maximum size of LSSD volumes is 150GB.

The total bandwidth of your local volumes is limited by the network link.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited November 2016

@bersy said:
    @Gamma17 they have been offering Atom (server edition) based dedis too for some time now.

Yes, but they use network storage too and you can buy the same machines for similar price from online.net, where they have physical hdd/ssd... what's the point in buying them from scaleway?

• Gamma17 said: Yes, but they use network storage too and you can buy the same machines for similar price from online.net, where they have physical hdd/ssd... what's the point in buying them from scaleway?

Scaleway is more flexible than, say, a Dedibox SC/XC.

If you need a machine just for a few hours/weeks, you can just spin up an instance, use it, shut it down, snapshot it and delete it.

Then you can spin up another instance from your snapshot when you need it again. And you are charged only for the snapshot creation and storage costs in this case.

• I'm happy with them except reinstalling OS. I don't know how to reinstall OS so I terminated current server and bought new one. It costs me a lot.

• M_OrdinateurM_Ordinateur Member
    edited November 2016

@cheapwebdev and @Vbro There is no Reinstall OS feature. People have been asking for it since April 2015 and it's still not there.

Here's a fresh benchmark of the C1 if someone wants it:

Test results for C1 at Scaleway 

Server specs: 
    4 × ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l) 
    2 GB  RAM / 48 GB disk space 
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial
    France

Benchmark summary:
    UnixBench - 441.9
    Disk Read - 9 MB/s
    Disk Write - 15 MB/s
    Bandwidth - 541.05 MB/s

More: https://serverscope.io/trials/e33E

• @M_Ordinateur said:
    @cheapwebdev and @Vbro There is no Reinstall OS feature. People have been asking for it since April 2015 and it's still not there.

I asked this from their support team, They said, start docker server then install OS to other docker image. I don't understand this at all.

• niknik Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2016

Well the price is amazing and the machines itself are pretty reliable, the problem is that it has a lot of drawbacks. The storage system is a mess, you only can get 1 IP, Atom cores are very slow and most software runs way better on better single thread performance compared to 8 very slow atom cores. Also one might think that you can add 15x 150 GB SSD storage volumes (as stated on their pricing page) but there is a maximum GB limit, so you are only able to add 15x 50GB or something because the overall storage is limited.

The object storage is sold out for ages and they disabled the webinterface for that completely. Last time I checked the amsterdam location, the routing (from germany) sucked big time, because they routed everything through paris, so you have additional latency even if you are closer to their AMS location.

So my conclusion is that if you just need a lot of RAM and don't need single thread performance or any extras these machines are awesome. Otherwise they suck and I would prefer any regular VPS.

• MridulMridul Member
    edited November 2016

@Vbro said:
    I'm happy with them except reinstalling OS. I don't know how to reinstall OS so I terminated current server and bought new one. It costs me a lot.

You dont need to do that. Its indeed confusing. To reinstall the OS, you simply need to:

• Terminate the previous server

• Start a new server with the Image you want and using the reserved IP attached to your previous server.

There is no additional cost, this will only cost the normal fees related to a running server with a reserved IP.

• bersy said: Just test it yourself for free http://instantcloud.io/

This shit not load correctly or busy every time.

• Using their 2.99 ARM server (Paris location) since October 2015 (hosting some internal sites and a private Subversion repository).

Steady service. Didn't need to reinstall OS, monitoring shows at least 99.99% uptime. Personally, I think they're just fine.

• I've been using one of their 2.99 KVM VPSes for the past 3 months and I think Scaleway is pretty good. Sure there's some crappy things about them (that have already been mentioned in this thread) but they're still great for the price.

Here's a quick ioping, dd, and network speed test from my cheap Scaleway VPS:

root@scaleway-vc1s:~# ioping . -c 10
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=1 time=189 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=2 time=239 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=3 time=214 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=4 time=226 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=5 time=229 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=6 time=220 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=7 time=248 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=8 time=246 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=9 time=241 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/vda): request=10 time=256 us

--- . (ext4 /dev/vda) ioping statistics ---
    10 requests completed in 9.01 s, 4.33 k iops, 16.9 MiB/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 189 us / 230 us / 256 us / 18 us

root@scaleway-vc1s:~# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    Benchmark started on Sun Nov 27 13:46:51 EST 2016
    Full benchmark log: /root/bench.log

System Info
    -----------
    Processor   : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU  C2750  @ 2.40GHz
    CPU Cores   : 2
    Frequency   : 2393.902 MHz
    Memory      : 2002 MB
    Swap        :  MB
    Uptime      : 5 days, 5:45,

OS      : Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
    Arch        : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel      : 4.8.10-apparmor-1
    Hostname    : scaleway-vc1s

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    ---------------------
    Your public IPv4 is x.x.x.x

Location        Provider    Speed
    CDN         Cachefly    88.5MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US     Coloat      1.37MB/s 
    Dallas, TX, US      Softlayer   9.70MB/s 
    Seattle, WA, US     Softlayer   9.19MB/s 
    San Jose, CA, US    Softlayer   7.83MB/s 
    Washington, DC, US  Softlayer   15.3MB/s 

Tokyo, Japan        Linode      9.52MB/s 
    Singapore       Softlayer   6.32MB/s 

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net     41.6MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb    1.44MB/s 

Disk Speed
    ----------
    I/O (1st run)   : 205 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run)   : 213 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run)   : 175 MB/s
    Average I/O : 197.667 MB/s

• jenkki said: This shit not load correctly or busy every time.

good luck finding a better shit man

• Biggest disadvantage is that Scaleway does not have reserved IPv6. They promised it 1.5 years ago, but still nothing. You only get a random /127 IPv6, lost upon machine restart.

• @Gamma17 said:

@bersy said:

Yes, but they use network storage too and you can buy the same machines for similar price from online.net, where they have physical hdd/ssd... what's the point in buying them from scaleway?

Please provide reference for 2.99 euros on online.net

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2016

@default said:
    Biggest disadvantage is that Scaleway does not have reserved IPv6. They promised it 1.5 years ago, but still nothing. You only get a random /127 IPv6, lost upon machine restart.

Could you please stop, reposting the Fucking Hitler movie with Subtitles?

• anyone can comment on the AMS location? has the routing improved since they started offering the location? or does it still do weird routes for outside of NL

• varunchopravarunchopra Member
    edited November 2016

@Nihim said:
    anyone can comment on the AMS location? has the routing improved since they started offering the location? or does it still do weird routes for outside of NL

This is after ~25 days of experience.

I got an AMS VPS, got a french IP instead of NL. Thought I must've fucked up so I tried to get another NL IP. Ended up with 2 french IPs.

Routing hasn't improved one bit and the CPU/disk performance is sub-par.

If you have a better budget, go for online.net. The only thing good with Scaleway is the pricing and uptime.

Thanked by 1Nihim
  • @varunchopra said:

@Nihim said:
    anyone can comment on the AMS location? has the routing improved since they started offering the location? or does it still do weird routes for outside of NL

This is after ~25 days of experience.

I got an AMS VPS, got a french IP instead of NL. Thought I must've fucked up so I tried to get another NL IP. Ended up with 2 french IPs.

Routing hasn't improved one bit and the CPU/disk performance is sub-par.

If you have a better budget, go for online.net. The only thing good with Scaleway is the pricing and uptime.

VPS is not up for question here... but thanks for sharing.

• @cheapwebdev said:
    Please provide reference for 2.99 euros on online.net

I was talking about x86 offers... the cheapest one is 11.99, which is somewhere in between dedibox sc and xc....
    As for arm yes, it is probably the cheapest "dedicated server" you can find, but it is not trully dedicated with shared network storage capped at 2k iops...
    Also it is very easy to try as you can pay hourly, and trying will be most likely the best solution, it may be still suitable for your needs with all the disadvantages...