Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Memory useage problem?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Memory useage problem?

DeorDeor Member
edited August 2011 in Help

Posted this over on the quality servers 128meg thread as this is one of their boxes, but thought id post here as well for a wider audience!

Ok, so what’s going on with memory usage? Is it me not being able to read/add up or do i need to open a ticket? This is Debian 6 32bit after running lowendscript ‘system’ part only to clean up, then a fresh reboot.

root@QLS128:~# ps aux
USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
root         1  0.0  0.5   2028   680 ?        Ss   16:29   0:00 init [2]
root       307  0.0  0.5   1948   688 ?        S    16:29   0:00 /usr/sbin/syslo
root       339  0.0  0.5   2288   764 ?        Ss   16:29   0:00 /usr/sbin/cron
root       354  0.0  0.6   2392   908 ?        Ss   16:29   0:00 /usr/sbin/xinet
root       557  1.0  0.8   2400  1116 ?        Ss   22:13   0:00 dropbear -i
root       558  0.0  1.2   2960  1612 pts/0    Ss   22:13   0:00 -bash
root       562  0.0  0.6   2348   908 pts/0    R+   22:13   0:00 ps aux
root@QLS128:~# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        131072      32020      99052          0          0       6500
-/+ buffers/cache:      25520     105552
Swap:            0          0          0
root@QLS128:~#

To me, this looks like the processes are using a fraction of what ‘free’ is reporting as used. On other VM’s I have, these figures are far closer.

What goes on? Anyone have any idea?

Comments

• Since you have a VPS running on OpenVZ have you check the vzFree script from LEB.

You can find more details here

• the vzfree script is a little outdated on newer openvz versions. Make sure you are looking at the -/+ buffers/cache line.

• In this exact example your VZ instance is caching a lot of your RAM for file system use. You can (At your own risk) adjust these.. Well maybe not -- I don't know how restrictive it would be in a container ... Google it ;)

Thanked by 1Deor
  • DeorDeor Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, as long as there's not something inherently wrong that's ok. Is any OS going to cache less or is it down to how the container is set up?

I was worrying a bit as its so different to my 128meg BuyVM.

• It's different because it's running a newer version of OpenVZ. The caches will be cleared to make room for other things that need RAM.

Thanked by 1Deor
  • LeoLeo Member

Seeing you have 0 swap on your free output.

QualityServers uses VSwap, but they have a problem with configuring the VSwap when you install Debian 6.0 32bit on the VPS. The LowEndBox offer was with 128MB VSwap, and you should have 128MB of swap in the free output. There is a thread about this in the QualityServers forum.

Thanked by 1Deor
  • DeorDeor Member

Thankd for the heads up Leo, will check it out.

• DeorDeor Member

Posted on the thread and James had fixed it 10 minutes later, Cant knock that!

• So what was the issue? The missing vswap?

• DeorDeor Member

That's what James fixed yeah, but I hadn't noticed the vswap was missing till Leo pointed it out.

Originally I was concerned that I seemed to be missing memory when comparing what my processes were using with what 'free' was reporting, but i wasn't taking buffers/cache into account. I'm still learning a lot about linux :)

I think mainly i was worried as i was seeing such a difference between my qualityservers 128meg box and my BuyVM 128meg box, when I thought they should be pretty much the same. Sounds like its down to different versions and configurations on OpenVZ.

The server is running well, using it to host a teamspeak 3 server for about 20 gaming mates.