Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help with renaming filnames in bulk
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help with renaming filnames in bulk

ahmiqahmiq Member
edited April 2013 in General

Hi there,
I have been searching for a way to rename file names in my box(not good at making a script) . the scenario is this. I have many zipped files , which have a names like : filename1(ahmiq).zip , filename2(ahmiq).zip , so i wish to rename all those files which have (ahmiq) in them with a _a or something like that e-g , filename1_file.zip , filename2_file.zip.
may be something like If filename matches (ahmiq) , mv it with _file.. If someone could get a few minutes and help me out with it , will be very thankful .

regards

Comments

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited April 2013

Though I don't have much experience with it, the Linux rename command is designed for just such a purpose, and has extensive options with how to select files to rename, and what to rename them to.

• ahmiqahmiq Member

@DStrout said: Though I don't have much experience with it, the Linux rename command is designed for just such a purpose, and has extensive options with how to select files to rename, and what to rename them to.

tx , looking onto it

• bnmklbnmkl Member
    edited April 2013

for file in *.zip ; do
        mv $file "$( echo $file |  cut -d '(' -f1 )_file.zip"
    done

• ahmiqahmiq Member

@bnmkl said: for file in *.zip ; do

mv $file "$( echo $file | cut -d '(' -f1 )_file.zip"
    done

works flawleslly , thanks

• bnmklbnmkl Member

• ahmiqahmiq Member

@bnmkl said: Member

haha about to watch it :D

• bnmklbnmkl Member

Haha.

• Good now only for future reference, but with the rename command @dstrout mentions you can simply:

rename 's/(ahmiq)/_file/' *

which is both less fiddily and more powerful if you can do regex. If you're not confident then -n will allow you to experiment without actually renaming anything :)

• bnmklbnmkl Member