Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

redundancy setup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

redundancy setup

wcgodzwcgodz Member
edited April 2013 in Help

Hello, I am interested in setting up my site using multiple VPS for redundancy, but at this moment, I have doubts and would like to verify if what I have at hand is correct, so would just like to clarify things before proceeding.

From what I have gathered so far, using Rage4 DNS service is the first part of this setup: when VPS1 goes down, it failsover to VPS2 and vice versa. There are other services, but I have seen glowing comments about this service, thus will just use this.

After which, I have to sync my files from VPS1 to VPS2 on a regularly basis. What I have now is just a simple website, so what's to me is just have uptime. But I am wondering, what is the best way for database replication? For files, I will be using Rsync, but for database replication, I am only familiar with mysqldump, but the process is abit tedious. Thus I am wondering if there are any better ways to do this database replication.

At the moment, I do not need to replicate it as often, but just wondering for future possible applications, this may be necessary.

Is this all I have to consider to setup redundancy for my website? Or are there other things that I have missed out that may be a best practice kind of thing? And finally, assuming I have 2xVPS, VPS1 and VPS2, can I just get a 3rd VPS (VPS3) and replicate both VPS1 and VPS2 to VPS3?

Sorry for the long post, but I am just curious and I understand that Murphy always has his way around here. Thanks for your assistance!

Comments

• bnmklbnmkl Member

Ask @KuJoe.

He has slaves on the Moon and sends backups to Mars.

• I always wondered, how fast does the Rage4 DNS switch? Doesn't it take a while to switch?

• @taronyu said: I always wondered, how fast does the Rage4 DNS switch? Doesn't it take a while to switch?

My guess is that it would take at most TTL secs for clients to get the updated record value

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@wcgodz - thanks for using Rage4 DNS
    @taronyu, @MiguelQ - yes, it depends from TTL

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@MiguelQ said: My guess is that it would take at most TTL secs for clients to get the updated record value

Assuming your nameserver honors TTLs less than some arbitrary value. Many don't - they round up TTLs to 3600.