Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you pay premium prices to an LET advertiser? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would you pay premium prices to an LET advertiser?

2»

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Oh snap!

• serverianserverian Member
    edited April 2013

\<alina_> ispirto: oversoldopenvzcrap.com is available
    ^ premium domain.

• The answer to this question, for me, is kind of complex. Some of the providers here yes I would definitely. Others I would not trust to host my dog crap.

Case in point not to long ago I was looking for a couple of providers. One OpenVZ the other KVM, I found both with in my budgets. I uploaded the sites to the OpenVZ provider and had a few problems which we sorted. I had not opened another ticket since then just paid the bills that each month.

Then about fifteen days ago I notice my payments are not going to same individual. Then I get an email saying that I have been sold to another company and my sites and data have been moved across the country. The move was flawless and I got a whole three days notice of this move. This would not have been a bad thing IF I had been given the choice. Oh they did give me a credit at the new provider but still......

The big rub in all this is I see the same person still posting here with the hosting company in his signature. So evidently it is still running. No I will not name names if @Infinity or @Liam would like details I will tell them. Yes I have all the emails still I keep them.

This host I will never trust again nor will I ever send ANY business his way.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited April 2013

the vast majority of the readership here believe LEB/T = Oversold OpenVZ crap

I believe that LEB/T in many cases = inexperienced providers (many of whom would be lost if they didn't have Solus to hold their provider hands and a control panel to hold their server hands) competing on price rather than quality. Thinking that overselling (and/or competing on price) is the ticket to the fast lane goes hand and hand with inexperience.

Overselling is a good thing. Leaving a server using 30% of it's resources is a waste of power and space.

There is a reason why a host who only uses 30%-50% of the resources on most of their servers (with the exception of their recently introduced megaram openvz line where they use 75%-100%) was voted 1st by customers in the last few LET Top Providers Polls, and there is also a reason why a few years after starting their hosting companies many providers who oversell are still working day jobs to pay their bills and only have a handful of nodes. From an end user's perspective, your quote is the reason.

Your Mom

Your Dad :P

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2013

@DomainBop said: There is a reason why a host who only uses 30%-50% of the resources on most of their servers (with the exception of their recently introduced megaram openvz line where they use 75%-100%) was voted 1st by customers in the last few LET Top Providers Poll, and there is also a reason why a few years after starting their hosting companies many providers who oversell are still working day jobs to pay their bills and only have a handful of nodes. From an end user's perspective, your quote is the reason.

Use, not allotment. If you oversell to a safe degree you'll still sit with less than 50% of your node used. In a world growing obsessed with being more conservative with energy and resources, being smart about resource usage is not a bad thing. It's not about the percentage sold, it's about the competence of the provider. The actual truths behind most successful providers (in the realm of quality service) would fall terribly on ears here because everyone hates certain buzz words, but it is what it is. They keep their mouths shut and provide excellent service.

People can use "overselling" as a dirty word all they want, but ask my clients if they appreciate the quality to cost ratio. DallasOne and DallasTwo are currently slightly oversold. DallasTwo is using 15GB of it's 64GB of memory. DallasOne is using 13GB. Both have load averages under 2 almost all day every day. I'm not selling it until everyone using 60GB of RAM or anything. Not even close. Yet, this is reality. Perception is an entirely different beast. People don't need to know what's under the hood, because it needlessly scares them. It's my job to be efficient, and it's been made clear that honesty is appreciated, so I provide it. That's your "oversold openvz" right there, honest and effective.

• @jarland said : ... it's about the competence of the provider ... It's my job to be efficient, and it's been made clear that honesty is appreciated, so I provide it. That's your "oversold openvz" right there, honest and effective.

+1

"overselling" is not the same as "overloading"

The case with hostrail r.i.p is "overloading" IMHO

• I think we, @AnthonySmith, @DomainBop and I, were mentioning overloading, not overselling.

You have to oversell something, at least your CPU or uplink even if you don't oversell RAM and disk space.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@DomainBop said: I believe that LEB/T in many cases = inexperienced providers (many of whom would be lost if they didn't have Solus to hold their provider hands and a control panel to hold their server hands) competing on price rather than quality. Thinking that overselling (and/or competing on price) is the ticket to the fast lane goes hand and hand with inexperience.

This^

My pet hate is reading OpenVZ offers that claim dedicated ram by companies who openly admit to over allocating, the best response I ever heard to this was.... "IT IS DEDICATED,... JUST SHARED DEDICATED!" which still to this day is the most stupid thing anyone has said around here.

• @jarland said: Use, not allotment.

You can present this 1000 times here, some agree, most do not, so I wonder if it is worth my breath anymore.

• @serverian said : You have to oversell something, at least your CPU or uplink even if you don't oversell RAM and disk space.

Then it should be done smartly. :)

• LeeLee Veteran

Thanks for all the comments, interesting points. I think there is nothing new in that established providers like prometeus, buyvm and others have the reputation to provide confidence at any price. For others perhaps the limiting factor of being known for offers around here means you market could be heavily restricted to the "Oh, they are one of those budget LET/LEB hosts" type attitudes, that can still work for some of course.

I think the whole ovz, oversold debate only holds relevance in a per provider discussion. It's not so much in my view about over selling but more about management.

OVZ is actually an incredibly reliable and efficient virtualization, however it's unfortunately not able to choose it's operator!

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited April 2013

I prefer to host with a provider that has reasonable prices and not necessarily overselling prices. For instance 512MB RAM for $5-7 would be technically LEB but with the promise of stability.

So not exactly premium but definitely budget to mid range.

• @W1V_Lee said: I think the whole ovz, oversold debate only holds relevance in a per provider discussion. It's not so much in my view about over selling but more about management.

OVZ is actually an incredibly reliable and efficient virtualization, however it's unfortunately not able to choose it's operator

If done right, OVZ is a beast.

• Fun input: So far this month, we've sold 327210 gigabytes (327 TB) of transfer across all of our VPS products. As of today, our clients have used 15830.895 gigabytes (15 TB), or 4.8% of amount sold, across all VPS products.

While I can see where the "omfg it's not true dedicated resources!" viewpoint comes from, it's rather irrelevant. Have you seen all of the "IPXcore sucks!" threads on LET? Speaks for itself....

Another thought on the subject: If you're buying a VPS container for $7, of any size, and expecting there to only be 20 other clients on the server, you may want to undergo a psychiatric evaluation for insanity. Cuz it aint happenin', Smith.

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited April 2013

@W1V_Lee, it's an interesting topic. As usual I expected more opinion from the buyers than the providers.

Vast majority of providers here are $7 limit type of companies for a multitude of reasons. Most of the reasons aren't good reasons either.

I'd consider paying more than the $7 amount to a few providers here. Reason for that mainly is dedicated resources, larger packages and guarantees of the resources actually being there.

Like many of the providers, operating 5 different DBA, AKA, sub corporations I'd like to see segmentation to justify the uptick in price. Cause one post to LET/LEB and the OpenVZ they offer is getting DDoS'd. Point is, paying for resources away from the common cesspool of advertised resources.

• why not