Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Locale errors Ubuntu
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Locale errors Ubuntu

DStroutDStrout Member
edited April 2013 in General

All my VPSes run Ubuntu. Today, when I got online and started working with them, they were all spitting out Perl locale errors. For instance:

locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory

Anyone else run in to this? I know how to fix it, but I'm kind of wondering why all my servers are suddenly giving me these errors.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2013

You are not alone.
    apt-get install language-pack-en-base

Much faster way to fix it on Ubuntu.

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited April 2013

Meh, rather not install anything if I don't have to. I've already made the commands from the linked article in to a batch file, so it's probably actually quicker that way. Still, any idea why?

edited April 2013

@DStrout said: any idea why?

It's an issue with how the templates were made. It just happens to be that most of us use these templates.

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited April 2013

So it's a problem that has just "come to light"? Never had this problem before today.

edited April 2013

@DStrout said: So it's a problem that has just "come to light"? Never had this problem before today.

It's actually quite common. The OpenVZ wiki has had an article about it for some time: http://openvz.org/Locales_inside_VE

In my experience it's often not seen until you run an "apt-get upgrade" on the Ubuntu templates.

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited April 2013

I've been apt-get upgradeing every day for a while now, no problems. Not saying you're wrong, just kind of weird I've never seen it at all until today, then suddenly it's everywhere.

Yeah I know what you mean. Hit or miss. I guess it's never bothered most of us enough to really tackle it.

• OK. Thanks @jarland. I've learned my "one new thing" for the day, time for a lunch break.