Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ARM Servers - Discussion & Interest - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ARM Servers - Discussion & Interest

2»

Comments

• DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2013

@albertdb said: MK808 1GB RAM Dual Core RK3066 ($42 1 unit, much less in big quantities) + Ethernet adapter ($5) = Ultra cheap server with almost zero power needs.

Are there any viable Linux distros available for these yet?

And when I say "viable", I don't mean "LOL HERE'S A HALF-ATTEMPTED, MOSTLY BROKEN 'PORT' OF UBUNTU WITH A 30 PAGE INSTALL DOCUMENT"

• @MrRadic What is your host?

• NickONickO Member

@Jeffrey Check ReliableSites Facebook Page and you'll see...

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited April 2013

Brand new ARM servers are here! Samsung Cortex A9 Quad Core 1.7 Ghz + 2 GB RAM @ $39/m!

Seriously? $39.00/month? Are you smoking drugs? I can get a much better server at that price. I would never pay more than maybe $15-$20 a month and that is totally dependent on the available hard drive space provided with it. @MrRadic, what makes you think this is even a realistic deal?

• @TheLinuxBug $39/Month for a Quad-Core Server is a great price, IMO

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited April 2013

@Jeffrey If it was x86, sure, your not going to get the same performance out of these little machines. Plus its ARM, have fun with getting certain things to work. I wouldn't pay $39.00/month for the privilege of banging my head off the wall trying to setup everything and compile things for ARM. I would rather spend the same amount or about $5.00 more and get a much more powerful server with none of the hassle. Best I see is people who do not know any better or just want to play with it and see how arm is renting them at that price. The whole unit is only $89.00 total (+/- a few dollars depending on the eMMC or MicroSD they put in it), so why would I pay them $39.00/month for it? It isn't like its costing them a lot to power them.

• @TheLinuxBug Very true, I didn't put that into consideration. My home server Pentium 4 2.50Ghz box does just fine. :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2013

Here is their offer as pasted on LET IRC:

Quad Core Samsung Cortex-A9 (4 x 1.7 Ghz)

2 GB RAM (CANNOT BE UPGRADED)
    250 GB HDD or 64 GB SSD
    100 Mbps Dedicated Port
    10 TB Premium Bandwidth
    /29 IP Block (5 Usable IPs)
    Debian OS ONLY
    PRE-ORDER SALE, 2 - 4 WEEK SETUP TIME
    ONLY $39/mo + FREE SETUP

And it's absolutely bonkers insane. The price needs to be slashed 2x for this to be competitive.

Even then, some people will prefer a cheaper and faster Kimsufi. Yes, even an N2800 will eat this "Samsung Cortex-A9" for breakfast. Or even the DataShack $35 server, where Dual Opteron 2216 will literally shred this ARM CPU into a thousand of little teddy bears performance-wise.

Maybe indeed the target audience of this is people who don't know any better and only count cores ("wow a quad-core just for $39").

• @rm_ he's including 10TB bandwidth tho, this is average 30Mbps which is goind to cost money in most places of the world. Only a few providers can afford to offer it for pennies.
    Maybe he can offer a lower / more reasonable price if he includes less bandwidth.

• @Damian said: We have both WD Red and SV35's in use in not-VPS servers and quite like them. No complaints there.

Yea, we use mainly SV35's for dedicated servers, no issues at all and speed is fine also

edited April 2013

@rds100 said: he's including 10TB bandwidth tho

Sigh...
    1) as you can notice the Datashack example includes 20TB, not 10;
    2) $26 Dual Xeon with the same 10 TB b/w: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1248180

The price can not justified, not by bandwidth, not by anything.
    If you will say it is justified by their "higher costs", then it is certainly not competitive.
    And if they have costs higher than others in the industry, they are not competitive in general.
    ARM servers are lauded for the great savings they provide to the datacenter, i.e. the server is cheap, very small and consumes very small amount of power. But this company passes NONE of these savings onto the customer. It's just an attempt at a greedy money grab riding the hype wave, as far as I'm concerned.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited April 2013

@rm_ said: the server is cheap

Yeah, CHEAP - tell that to HP ;-) http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/9620/45-servers-in-4.3u-space

But yes, i agree at $39 probably nobody would buy it. Or maybe just someone who wants to test how the ARM is and play around, but then he can probably just buy one and play with it at home.

edited April 2013

@rds100 the ODROID-U2 linked above matches the posted specs perfectly and is $89.
    By your link these HP Moonshot are Atom servers, not ARM servers.
    And yeah, there are some overpriced ARM server offers on the market (e.g. Calxeda), but those are not the only game in town.

• @rm_ yes, sorry, i'm still sleeping. HP plans to also release ARM based blades for the Moonshot though, and other different types of blades (DSP, GPU, whatever).