Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

100mbps vps and 5MB/s speed is fine? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

100mbps vps and 5MB/s speed is fine?

2»

Comments

• @rrr Looking at their site it seems that port speed is capped dependant on the VPS plan you get, however I may be wrong

• rrrrrr Member

Jkr1711 you are right.

Guys I am not looking for any file hosting type sites.. but just pure selling hosting for my clients.. not even for public.. most of the sites are blogs and some are ecommerce..

do I really need 1gig port?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2013

@rrr said: do I really need 1gig port?

I have a client who has a blog. She draws a picture which is the sole content of each blog post. The first page has five posts. They aren't excessive, but you can't treat them like text content. They are pictures, they have to be loaded for each visitor. Her website was tweeted by a religious author. With a full 100mbit port, able to burst around 12mb/s, I saw that line cap multiple times throughout the next few hours. This isn't anything close to being featured on a major website, this was twitter and a religious author. Strong audience, but still limited. The 100mbit port became a bottleneck for me that day. It caused delays in loading the web page for many visitors because frequently we would have up to 50 people trying to load the web site at once. Think 50 people on a 10mbit connection each, loading a page on a 100mbit line, and then 50 more people after them. Almost coordinated hits, due to popularity.

So take that as you will. I wouldn't take on very many clients, and some not even at all, on a 50mbit port.

• if it's shared 100MBit/s i think 5MByte/s is fine

• @jarland said: I have a client who has a blog. She draws a picture which is the sole content of each blog post. The first page has five posts. They aren't excessive, but you can't treat them like text content. They are pictures, they have to be loaded for each visitor. Her website was tweeted by a religious author. With a full 100mbit port, able to burst around 12mb/s, I saw that line cap multiple times throughout the next few hours. This isn't anything close to being featured on a major website, this was twitter and a religious author. Strong audience, but still limited. The 100mbit port became a bottleneck for me that day. It caused delays in loading the web page for many visitors because frequently we would have up to 50 people trying to load the web site at once. Think 50 people on a 10mbit connection each, loading a page on a 100mbit line, and then 50 more people after them. Almost coordinated hits, due to popularity.

So take that as you will. I wouldn't take on very many clients, and some not even at all, on a 50mbit port.

They still are not understanding what you are saying @jarland evidently. So I will put it another way that maybe they can understand a bit better.

You have a 5 mb/s DSL/Cable connection at home okay? Now go to your web browser and open 50 tabs all pointing to Youtube videos of cats playing pianos. See what kind of bottleneck you get.

• 5mb and Cable? ummmm what cable company is still that slow?

• @24khost said: 5mb and Cable? ummmm what cable company is still that slow?

Just an analogy I can not even get Cable or DSL where I live. I am stuck on Dial-Up since a cell does not work for crap here either.

• @24khost said: what cable company is still that slow?

hey, you offend me, and my 1mbps internet by cable :p

@dedicados said: hey, you offend me, and my 1mbps internet by cable :p

Took him 7 minutes to send that reply.

• I was forced to upgrade from 15 mb to 30 mb which is the lowest I can get now. in like 5 months lowest I will be able to get is 60 mb. What good is it though when I can't go download anything via a torrent. It is like being all dressed up and nowhere to go.

But for what he is doing. Probably not going to be an issue for the first 6 months your running but then you will need to upgrade. If you have customers.

• @dedicados sorry at least in the US speeds just keep going up.

@24khost said: I was forced to upgrade from 15 mb to 30 mb which is the lowest I can get now. in like 5 months lowest I will be able to get is 60 mb. What good is it though when I can't go download anything via a torrent. It is like being all dressed up and nowhere to go.

I hope your torrents fail.

Signed,
    Pissed off guy who pays more for 16mbit than food.

• @jarland said: Took him 7 minutes to send that reply.

7!?! was 10!!

• @24khost said: @dedicados sorry at least in the US speeds just keep going up.

im kidding, here at Mexico speeds are from 3-15 with cable, other offer the fiber option up to 150mbps.

im stuck with ADSL at 5mbps, but max is 20mbps with the biggest shit company here.

• @jarland What torrents, I get evil letters from charter if I do that threatening to take me back to the dial up days.

• @24khost use an offshore vpn :)

@24khost said: What torrents, I get evil letters from charter if I do that threatening to take me back to the dial up days.

Ha, back in the day I got a DMCA straight from EA over a torrent. The Sims 2. I called up charter and screamed at them for passing my private information to a third party without a court order. Then I wrote a nasty letter to EA with a picture of me holding the box for The Sims 2 and told them it was the last dime they'll ever get from me since they came right out threatening me instead of taking one moment to even ask if I legally owned the game.

• @imperio, nothing that important I need to pay to download it.

• @jarland besides the internet dying at least once per day, If the united states allowed them to compete in each town, I wouldn't have them.

• @jarland The http server was probably not optimized. You should have 10-20 people accessing and 40-30 waiting. MaxClients is the most important property for Apache.

@hostingwizard_net said: The http server was probably not optimized. You should have 10-20 people accessing and 40-30 waiting. MaxClients is the most important property for Apache.

Quite well, and no one was turned away, it's just that it could have went faster.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@jarland said: Ha, back in the day I got a DMCA straight from EA over a torrent. The Sims 2. I called up charter and screamed at them for passing my private information to a third party without a court order. Then I wrote a nasty letter to EA with a picture of me holding the box for The Sims 2 and told them it was the last dime they'll ever get from me since they came right out threatening me instead of taking one moment to even ask if I legally owned the game.

Just out of curiosity - did they try and offer you free games to keep you as a customer? That's what companies often seem to do in cases like this.

@joepie91 said: Just out of curiosity - did they try and offer you free games to keep you as a customer? That's what companies often seem to do in cases like this.

Not a word in return. From what I hear, EA is one of those companies that really couldn't care less whether or not you're a customer. Much like Microsoft in the late 90s, they just assume you need them and couldn't possibly survive without them.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

@jarland said: Not a word in return. From what I hear, EA is one of those companies that really couldn't care less whether or not you're a customer. Much like Microsoft in the late 90s, they just assume you need them and couldn't possibly survive without them.

Well they're pretty much right for enough of their customer base. :D

• What confusion.

B = bytes, b = bits. Case matters.

• bnmklbnmkl Member

BB = bulletin board, bb = baby.

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited April 2013

I'm on a 100mbps line with a new VPS at IPXCore, same problem. Is atlantic.net Colocrossing, like IPXCore? (FWIW, it's down for me) I ticketed but Damian said there didn't seem to be a problem he could see, and if he asked ColoCrossing that's what they'd see too. No prob for me either, but 1/2 what you should be getting is, well, half.

• @DStrout Already been solved; turns out atlantic.net limits port speed depending on plan (shown on site)

• Good for you. Guess I'll just have to handle it here.