Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to configure a vps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to configure a vps?

Hello,

I have a wordpress blog that talks about sensitive computing.
Do not find my happiness with shared offshore hosting.

I wish to take an offshore VPS (RU | UKRA). However, I am not an expert at configuring a vps.
I would like to know if you have tutorials or videos for:

• Securing the VPS (Update, firewall ect)
  • The installation of wordpress (creation of database / installation of phpmyadmin etc ...)

In addition, I already have an active domain name at namech3ap. How should I do so that the domain name points to the ip address of my vps?

Is it possible to have cloudfare as protection? In order to avoid the ddos and remain anonymous compared to the ip address of my vps.

Thank you for your reply

Comments

• are you a journalist?

you can set this up with vpssim or centminmod, in addition you can change the ssh port and also install fail2ban, change root user

for your wordpress you can install ithemes security or bulletproof security plugin, etc .

• Ensure you run all updates from the base OS, Install a Text editor like Nano for ease of chainging config files.

Install something like Virtualmin (free from https://www.virtualmin.com/download.html), a Hosting Control panel. they come with everything you need to host and run a website, Apache, MySQL, Postfix email etc. all in one install.

You can also install CSF firewall to work with Virtualmin (https://download.configserver.com/csf/install.txt)

theres tons of online help and information for both systems. you can have your VPS up and running in about 1 hour

Create Child Nameservers and set them point to your VPS IP (you do this through your registra) then set your nameservers at your registra to point to those NS tags you just created. and ensure you add the A records to the DNS for the site so it all points correctly.

Or you can set up a DNS forward with a site like cloudns.org pointing to your VPS and set your nameservers to point to the cloudns servers

• @mobb said: sensitive computing.

By sensitive computing do you mean hosting illegal software (inferred from your #warez tag)?

• mobbmobb Member
    edited November 2016

@lustix : Not journalist :)
    @EZnetHost Thank you for your answers,
    @JustAMacUser : No I do not host any malicious software, I just post articles relating to sensitive computing.

• @mobb said:
    However, I am not an expert at configuring a vps.

Then prepare to become one, or hire someone who is. There is no universal way to configure a server, so tutorials will only get you so far, and they also usually start with the expectation that you have some admin-fu (e.g., rm -rf / is mentioned as a joke when it comes to troubleshooting).

In addition, I already have an active domain name at namech3ap. How should I do so that the domain name points to the ip address of my vps?

Using whatever interface or API they have that allows you set the DNS A record. But, seriously, hire someone who knows what they're doing if you don't even know how to point people to your VPS in the first place.

Is it possible to have cloudfare as protection? In order to avoid the ddos and remain anonymous compared to the ip address of my vps.

To the extent that their CDN allows. Nobody here can guess at what you're actually trying to accomplish that is so very, very sensitive.

• When your computing is sensitive...

• @impossiblystupid: Thank you for your comment, I am not a novice there a vps configuration expert. But I do not want to make a mistake in a configuration or forget some things in parameters. I would therefore pay someone to perform all these tasks properly.
    @deadbeef: Nice ! kid...