Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ansible for DevOps - book on server automation - $0.99 through Nov 28!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ansible for DevOps - book on server automation - $0.99 through Nov 28!

geerlingguygeerlingguy Member
edited November 2016 in General

I wanted to post this offer here since I think it would be a great companion to using LEB servers (half of the servers I use in my day-to-day are LEB providers, with the VPSes managed by Ansible).

Ansible for DevOps is currently $0.99 on LeanPub

I've been updating the book continuously since I started writing it in 2014, and will continue to update it as long as I'm able (meaning you'll always have the best guide to using Ansible for automation!).

Even if you don't want the book, check out some of the examples I have for automating many common server configurations—Ansible for DevOps Examples.

Comments

• (Note that I tried posting in the 'Offers' section of the forum, but was getting the error: "You do not have permission to start discussions in this category"... Hopefully this is the right place!

• good to know there is an ansible guru here. I will check out the examples and later the book. Thank you.

• @ehab said:
    good to know there is an ansible guru here. I will check out the examples and later the book. Thank you.

"Guru" might be pushing it a bit :D — one thing I learned while writing the book is that most authors are on the same level as normal users of the same software... they just take a little more time to learn the background on everything, and also to (hopefully) make their examples work in more than just one environment!

Thanked by 2vimalware deadbeef
  • Looks nice, I've been using SaltStack for automation for a while now, might be nice to learn a new tool so bought a copy

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

+1 on your book. It has been an excellent resource.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • @ALinuxNinja said:
    Looks nice, I've been using SaltStack for automation for a while now, might be nice to learn a new tool so bought a copy

I've been meaning to take another look at Salt sometime, but love hearing from others coming from Puppet/Salt/Chef if the book is helpful, or what kind of changes would be helpful. Most readers come from shell scripts and duct tape, so the book caters to them pretty well already. Please feel free to email/tweet me or open issues on GitHub if you have questions or suggestions!

Thanked by 1PrincessOfCats
  • i really like the examples! good luck with sales!

• Bought it.

• @Zen said:
    I just bought it, been meaning to get stuck in with Ansible for a while!

geerlingguy said: shell scripts and duct tape

Muahahaha

99.9% of the tech world is built that way :)

Thanked by 1Zen
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited November 2016

Thanks @geerlingguy! Your videos got me started with Ansible and now I'm at a level where I have done a full infrastructure overhaul of a company using it!

• For a buck you can't go wrong. I've grabbed a copy ;)

• Was just thinking about deploying my stuff w/ ansible today. This is fntastic!

• Already had bought the book - while I haven't really put much time on it, I can attest that @geerlingguy has put a ton of hours/work on it. So, especially for that price, it's a steal!

Thanked by 1GCat
  • @deadbeef said:
    Already had bought the book - while I haven't really put much time on it, I can attest that @geerlingguy has put a ton of hours/work on it. So, especially for that price, it's a steal!

(And I'll keep putting more work into it, too :D)

Thanked by 3Junkless deadbeef GCat
  • Bought a copy,

Great work @geerlingguy

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Bought!

One thing I've struggled with in Ansible, mainly because I haven't had time to study it, is using it for cpanel-boxes where I am not root. So I have an account with six different users, and I want to use ansible to do the same thing in each one...but it needs a different user for each since they're different accounts.

It ends up being a very ugly hosts file with :vars and all that. I suspect there's an easier way to do it.

• Good stuff

• just after purchasing :)
    well done for putting this together!

• Purchased

• Probably the best force-multiplier deal that saves you time.

More time = more money =more black Friday impulse purchases :D

• Got it. :)

• thanks for the heads up.. never really got my head around ansible which is unfortunate as one my Centmin Mod LEMP stack users released an ansible wrapper for Centmin Mod https://github.com/jeffwidman/ansible-centminmod which i never got to fully appreciate or try yet :)

Thanked by 1apidevlab
  • @raindog308 said:
    Bought!

One thing I've struggled with in Ansible, mainly because I haven't had time to study it, is using it for cpanel-boxes where I am not root. So I have an account with six different users, and I want to use ansible to do the same thing in each one...but it needs a different user for each since they're different accounts.

It ends up being a very ugly hosts file with :vars and all that. I suspect there's an easier way to do it.

@raindog308 - Are you able to use become to run certain tasks as different users? Or do you mean you need to run a specific playbook multiple times on a server, once for each user? There are a few ways you can make either of those things work without hacking inventory much :)

• And I just purchased my first legit book online.

• Sady said: And I just purchased my first legit book online.

Same here ;)

• Sady said: And I just purchased my first legit book online.

Yep me too

• Purchased. Thanks for the great deal.

• apidevlabapidevlab Member
    edited November 2016

@Sady said:
    And I just purchased my first legit book online

Excellent find :)

@eva2000 said:
    thanks for the heads up.. never really got my head around ansible which is unfortunate as one my Centmin Mod LEMP stack users released an ansible wrapper for Centmin Mod https://github.com/jeffwidman/ansible-centminmod which i never got to fully appreciate or try yet :)

That's a plan :)

• Grabbed a copy :)

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited November 2016

@geerlingguy I'm reading chapter 10 to see how to automate the updates and I have a quick question on strategy.

I have a set of servers that perform the same work (and need the same kind of commands to be run - except for updates), but some of them are ubuntu and the rest are centos.

Is it saner to configure them into two different groups [cache-ubuntu], [cache-centos] and then run my future playbooks separately for each group or is the proper way to create a playbook that manages the update task for both OSs at the same time and have a single group [cache]?

Edit: Nvm, found my answer in Chapter 3 :) Cheers.