Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

vmware vps creating smaller vps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

vmware vps creating smaller vps?

Hi,
I'm getting a 8Gb VMware based vps.
win2008/win2012 will be installed on this VPS,
and I'm thinking maybe creating a smaller vps under this "big" vps by using VMware station?

(not for resell, only for my learning purpose for Linux as I'm new to it, and reinstall for the 8Gb vps charges A LOT, that's why I need to create smaller vps under it for practice)

so my question would be:

1. is that possible to create smaller vps under my VM based "big" vps?

2. if smaller vps is possible, is it also VM based or OpenVZ?

please let me know,

and thanks.

Comments

• inb4 arubacloud reseller.

• @Error404 said:
    inb4 arubacloud reseller.

can you describe it more precisely please?

• If nested virtualization is allowed by provider yes, you can do that.
    But it may be better the other way - linux on "big vps" and windows in kvm vm... i am not sure if vmware player/workstation will run inside vm....

• What provider are you using?

• @Gamma17 said:
    If nested virtualization is allowed by provider yes, you can do that.
    But it may be better the other way - linux on "big vps" and windows in kvm vm... i am not sure if vmware player/workstation will run inside vm....

I tested on win2008 and it's saying something like virtualization (cpu vt?) not enabled, damn, so I paid like a few bucks to get centos installed,

now I'm frustrated, afraid of crashing this centos again then paying bucks to get re-installation...

Any tutorial on how to install kvm/vm vps on this "big" one? now I'm running cantos6 64bit VM based.

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited November 2016

First of all you need to be really sure that your provider allows nested virtualization, because it is often prohibited.
    If it is allowed you can just do "yum install @virt*", "yum install xorg-x11-xauth", start and enable libvirtd daemon ("service libvirtd start" "chkconfig libvirtd on"), then install xming on your pc ( i assume windows here...), enable X11 forwarding in putty and start virt-manager. You will have gui from here...
    You can also check /proc/cpuinfo, vmx should be present in cpu flags....

• @Gamma17 said:

you hints are quite detailed,
    Thank you heaps, gonna check with provider on nested virtualization first...