Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LVM Snapshot
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LVM Snapshot

dnwkdnwk Member
edited April 2013 in Help

Is it possible to take a LVM Snapshot and restore it on another VM? I am exploring if there is a way that I can move all my data/setting/programs to another VM.

Comments

• jhjh Member

This is the sort of job

dd

is meant to do :)

• You need root access to both of the physical hardware nodes to do this (Or a host prepared to do this for you), but as @jhadley said, DD is all you need.

• EvixoEvixo Member

@dnwk said: Is it possible to take a LVM Snapshot and restore it on another VM? I am exploring if there is a way that I can move all my data/setting/programs to another VM.

As long as you have root access to the node, yes.

• The best way to do it is using block level syncing. dd will copy empty space as well.

• @serverian said: The best way to do it is using block level syncing. dd will copy empty space as well.

That's what you want if you're restoring to another LV which is the same size

• EvixoEvixo Member

@GetKVM_Ash said: That's what you want if you're restoring to another LV which is the same size

As long the LV is not smaller than it's original, there shouldn't be any problems.

Also, if you transfer the image over the network, you should pipe it to 'lzop -1' to shrink the image to what you actually use, instead of the LV size.

• http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/206140#Comment_206140 works for kvm to kvm transfers as long as the destination has the same amount or more disk space than the source

• dnwkdnwk Member

Thanks

• dnwkdnwk Member

Oh, I don't think I can reboot into Rescue ISO. Is it possible to run while system is running?

• jhjh Member

@dnwk said: Is it possible to run while system is running?

No