Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tower coolocation in the Netherlands
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Tower coolocation in the Netherlands

NihimNihim Member
edited November 2016 in Requests
Looking to colocate this Dell tower server using the dual Xeon 5100, with 8 disks in it, at a DC in the Netherlands.

Speed / traffic: 500Mbit+ / 3TB+

Tower is in NL and could be paid for with most methods including bank wire.

Also how much would the "handling" fee be if sent or dropped at the DC.

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Bumped on Nihim's behalf - there was a technical problem, so let's start his timer fresh.

Thanked by 1Nihim
  • Surely you can find something better than that Xeon 5100? A blood Intel core i3 or i5 would probably out perform it

• Nihim said: using the dual Xeon 5100

Not a good idea, 120W for CPU alone...

• @William @OpticalSwoosh

problem is the tower is already owned since years ago. Excluding performance, but just electricity consumption will it be impossible to colo it?

• ChrisMillerChrisMiller Member
    edited November 2016

problem is the tower is already owned since years ago. Excluding performance, but just electricity consumption will it be impossible to colo it?

Impossible. No. Sensible.. Also No due to the cost. You would be better off buying a used 2U with an E3 for your drives then to colo that.

• contact these guys if you dont find anything suitable, they cool.

• KnownHostChrisM said: You would be better off buying a used 2U with an E3 for your drives then to colo that.

Hell, even a newish ATOM beats a Dual 5110 and uses 15(!)W TDP instead of 120W...

Nihim said: problem is the tower is already owned since years ago

Yes, i know, we also have a rack full of Xeon 51xx that did cost surely more than a million back then (a huge HP blade system) - Point is: this is trash. Simple as is: DDR2 (worst case even FBDIMM), FSB (no QPI), PCIe 1.1 (2.0 only by scaling/PLX).... aside of the power usage 4U for 2k CPU benchmark points (my tablet does 3k and my laptop 8...) are worthless, especially in NL/EU where rackspace is not cheap.

Thanked by 1Nihim
  • LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

A box with those hardware specs will have quite some operational costs. Especially power costs of such server are pretty high. On top of that the costs of 4U to 5U of rack space. Most hosting companies don't want towers in their 19" racks either because of the looks and mouting issues.
    Why not considering to shop around for a dedicated server with plenty of storage? Might be cheaper at the end!

Thanked by 1Nihim
  • Thank you all for the answers. If I proceed with it, will invest first on a new server.

• well, I was looking at an avoton c2750 MB and realized I know shit about good models and all.

So can you recommend a new or used server board with:

• better cpu than the xeon 5100
    • low watt usage (on idle especially) is really important
    • min of 8 sata ports
    • no defined price range, obviously prefer to spend less but I am expecting certain degree of quality so no problem to spend something extra if it's worth it

I know that's pretty generic but I would appreciate any suggestions

@William and @LiteServer

• Why do you want to colo that thing? You can get a c2750 dedi at online.net/scaleway in NL or FR for a fraction of what you'd pay for a rack slot anywhere.

https://www.scaleway.com/pricing/

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@willie said:
    Why do you want to colo that thing? You can get a c2750 dedi at online.net/scaleway in NL or FR for a fraction of what you'd pay for a rack slot anywhere.

https://www.scaleway.com/pricing/

You missed the part where he's looking to stuff 8 drives in it, doesn't just need the CPU, sounds like he needs a killer backup box.

• Harambe said: You missed the part where he's looking to stuff 8 drives in it,

Oh yes, I didn't see that further down in the thread til just now. Yeah he needs a lower powered cpu board. @Nihim do you already have the drives? If not and if you can use DE hosting, Hetzner storage servers (SX series) are quite attractive.

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

@Nihim said:
    well, I was looking at an avoton c2750 MB and realized I know shit about good models and all.

So can you recommend a new or used server board with:

>
    • better cpu than the xeon 5100
    • >
    • low watt usage (on idle especially) is really important
    • >
    • min of 8 sata ports
    • >
    • no defined price range, obviously prefer to spend less but I am expecting certain degree of quality so no problem to spend something extra if it's worth it
    • >

I know that's pretty generic but I would appreciate any suggestions

@William and @LiteServer

What kind of drives/sizes would like to have in this server? Or will you be sending your own drives? In case you'd like to use your own drives; I assume they are 3,5"?
    In top of that; what a mount of RAM would need to be installed in this server?

We have some Xeon E3 or equivalent servers that could do the job! :)

• NihimNihim Member
    edited December 2016

I guess I didn't make myself clear for yet another time.

Right now I am talking about purchasing a server motherboard with the above requirements as a home server (1Gbit residential), that's why I asked for low watt usage, or colo it to a DC.

Since I would be upgrading from the tower server mentioned on the first post, yes I already have the disks. 8x 3.5" Seems that is all I will keep from the old server.

So @Willie yes I do have the drives.

@Liteserver right now I am looking for tips on purchasing, though you are welcome to pm me with the price for those servers you mentioned, 16-32GB ram and handling fee for 8 disks shipped or dropped to your DC.

tldr; I want to buy a used or new, server MB with the above requirements, from ebay etc. or local NL shop. with the purpose of having it as a home server and potentially at some point colo-ing it.

• joerijoeri Member, Host Rep, LIR
  • williewillie Member
    edited December 2016

I remember @William built some storage servers with c2750 motherboards that weren't horrendously slow (considering 8 cores) and were quite low powered. Wonder what kind of boards those were.

• niknik Member, Host Rep

@willie said:
    I remember @William built some storage servers with c2750 motherboards that weren't horrendously slow (considering 8 cores) and were quite low powered. Wonder what kind of boards those were.

There are Supermicro and AsRock Rack boards with C2750.