Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What makes windows faster?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What makes windows faster?

Hello.

I have a small windows VPS with 1 CPU (25%) core and 1GB Ram but it works to slow when I access via remote desktop.

What should I upgrade? More ram or cpu?

Comments

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

Can't you upgrade both? Task Manager and Resources Monitor should give you an idea what resource is heavily utilized.

• For W10 minimum RAM is 2 GB:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

And that is really minimum. With it, you can basically start OS and look around a little. For any app you want to run you need extra RAM...

• Just to add its SSD 60GB.

• @exception0x876 said:
    Can't you upgrade both? Task Manager and Resources Monitor should give you an idea what resource is heavily utilized.

Sure but it will not be cheap anymore.

• WeblogicsWeblogics Member
    edited November 2016

Biggest culprit with any version of Windows is the number of unneeded services running. Disabling these can have a dramatic improvement in performance. We have used these guides at work for years.

Windows services to tweak/disable

http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/

• Basic issue is the cpu core (25%). Of course, it depends on what core is that. A core2duo core or a xeon core?
    1GB ram could fit in many cases, depending on OS (Win 7, 10 server, 64 or 32?).
    And of course, on what are you willing to use this window vps. I have a windows 7 vps in a server of mine with access to a whole cpu core and 512MB memory, it works for browsing and ftping. I also have a 512 slice from Francisco, it is also working like a charm for what I am doing.

You could give us some more information on the specs of the server.

Also, for faster remote desktop, you could try anydesk. It's free and it is blazing fast.

• Jarry said: And that is really minimum. With it, you can basically start OS and look around a little. For any app you want to run you need extra RAM

My windows 10 installation on a core2duo E8400 with 2GB of ram is working great. Multiutasking with Photoshop CS6, Quark 8, firefox, WPS Office and a winamp instance running on the background for listening music. Of course, it is not as fast as a 6core machine with 16GB memory, but it definitely not be used just to "look around a litthe".

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Can you define 'slow' ?

If I accessed a windows server located in the west coast USA from the UK it could be the most powerful server in the world, it would still feel slow to me due to latency.

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • The only way to speed up windows is jump ship to linux :P.

Thanked by 1karjaj
  • pcfreak30 said: The only way to speed up windows is jump ship to linux :P.

Can you give me QuarkXpress, Illustrator and Vmix to Linux?

• Try teamviewer it's faster than RDP

• robohost said: Try teamviewer it's faster than RDP

Try anydesk, it's way faster than teamviewer! :)

Thanked by 1OpticalSwoosh
  • @jvnadr said:

robohost said: Try teamviewer it's faster than RDP

Try anydesk, it's way faster than teamviewer! :)

I tried all of them, but I honestly don't see how they are faster than RDP.

Thanked by 1KamA
  • jvnadr said: My windows 10 installation on a core2duo E8400 with 2GB of ram is working great

Windows 10 is pretty damn fast. Some of my family members had some old laptops that weren't running to well with Windows 7 and 8.1 and once I installed Windows 10 on them there was a noticeable improvement in regards to speed.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

What's the latency to the server?

• Four20 said: I tried all of them, but I honestly don't see how they are faster than RDP.

RDP is fast when used in LAN or very fast home connection (fiber etc.). When it comes to a simple ADSL, then, anydesk (and teamviewer) is using newer algorithms and techniques to compress the remote screen between the host and the remote machine. So, at least according to my experience, RDP has much slower response.
    There is also a benchmark (not independent, though, was run by anydesk) here: http://anydesk.com/benchmark/anydesk-benchmark.pdf

• sin said: Windows 10 is pretty damn fast. Some of my family members had some old laptops that weren't running to well with Windows 7 and 8.1 and once I installed Windows 10 on them there was a noticeable improvement in regards to speed.

Indeed. I run mostly windows 7 as I still think it is the most mature windows OS ever being released, after windows 95. Win 7 and 10 has no real difference in needing of resources, for day-by-day usage. What kills performance nowadays is much more the browsers (firefox or Chrome) or some software that became huge without any real need for (MS Office with tons of garbage specs and options) than OS itself...

• Buying a mac.

• setting the MTU's on certain OpenStack/QEMU based virtual Servers helps alot
    netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Local Area Connection" mtu=1454 store=persistent

• Screaming "f*ck Bill," and installing Hackintosh. Can't play games though, so I had to keep dual boot. Overall, MacOS Sierra has been amazing.

Don't even need to pick up my iPhone to send a text from iMessage, and Siri can do it for me too! :D

Auto-recognition of my graphics card (both AMD/Nvidia) was a nice touch