Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does SolusVM Supports Multipel LVM with KVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does SolusVM Supports Multipel LVM with KVM

Hello,

As the title says, does SolusVM supports multiple LVM for creating guest VM with KVM virtualization??

I am considering setting up a small server with 2xSSDs and 2SATA in RAID1. So planning to keep OS/DB on SSD and Files on SATA for all guest VPS.
i.e. on guest VMs,
/ is on SSD LVM
and /home/ is on SATA LVM.

This only for my own sites and sharing with a friend.
I have not used KVM setup in the past so not so sure if that is something possible easily. SolusVM is not really a must. Can you other panels as well. Just looking for a nice GUI to manage things. (Server will only be hosting 6-8 vps)

Thanks

Comments

• Your question is not whether SolusVM supports creating KVM guests on multiple LVMs but whether having more than one LVM will be a problem. The answer is no, you just have to configure SolusVM to create the KVM images on the LVM you want.

Or am I misunderstanding?

Thanked by 1Umair
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

It does support it however you cannot automate it.

Thanked by 1Umair
  • I don't need automation for that. As long as can work without any problem.

So if I am understanding it right, you mean I will need to mount the 2nd drive/lvm-partition to the VM manually.

I dont think Solus has any option in the VM creation process where you can select you want the VM on SSDLVM or SATALVM

Right?

• Virtualizor has by-default support for it & you can also do it with proxmox too. Not sure if SolusVM has that feature on GUI but you can do it on SolusVM as well.

Thanked by 1Umair
  • You would have to change the LVM in the node config, create the required disk, and change back to your default.

Thanked by 1Umair
  • DETioDETio Member
    edited November 2016

Can I also mention to check VirtEngine?

We support multiple LVM :-)

You can install our OpenSource edition this Week (Mon-Tuesday): http://docs.virtengine.com for free.

Thanks,
    Jonathan P

edited November 2016

DETio said: Can I also mention to check VirtEngine?

You can install our OpenSource edition this Week (Mon-Tuesday): http://docs.virtengine.com for free

Thanks, Jonathan P

Can you create a package that gets xxGB from 1 VG and xxGB from another or so that certain packages go on 1 VG and certain ones go on another?

Your full commercial release is due within 10 days so probably best to wait for that.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited November 2016

AnthonySmith said: Can you create a package that gets xxGB from 1 VG and xxGB from another or so that certain packages go on 1 VG and certain ones go on another?

Your full commercial release is due within 10 days so probably best to wait for that.

Currently with Ceph you can add a cluster of HDD's for storage, and SSD's for compute. Thus if you want to achieve high availability, the additional copies are only stored in HDD drives. This is for the complete edition in public clouds but is available opensource for private clouds.

We'll be testing mass deployments with our Automated Launcher this week. We will be deploying our own hardware and providing access to anyone who wants to test.

Our opensource edition is considered late beta (we expect it to be fully stable by January 1st 2017).

We have to just updated the packages one more time and it will be ready for deployment if you follow our documentation (open source edition), this will be done this Monday-Tuesday.

@DETio said:

AnthonySmith said: Can you create a package that gets xxGB from 1 VG and xxGB from another or so that certain packages go on 1 VG and certain ones go on another?

Currently with Ceph you can add a cluster of HDD's for storage, and SSD's for compute. Thus if you want to achieve high availability, the additional copies are only stored in HDD drives. This is for the complete edition in public clouds but is available opensource for private clouds.

We'll be testing mass deployments with our Automated Launcher this week. We will be deploying our own hardware and providing access to anyone who wants to test.

Our opensource edition is considered late beta (we expect it to be fully stable by January 1st 2017).

We have to just updated the packages one more time and it will be ready for deployment if you follow our documentation (open source edition), this will be done this Monday-Tuesday.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1927380/#Comment_1927380

You just cant seem to make up your mind eh...

• DETioDETio Member
    edited November 2016

We'll be testing the Automated Launcher internally, once the automated launcher is sufficient for public use then we will release our public cloud edition & private cloud enterprise edition - which should be within the next 10 days.

In the mean time you can install the opensource edition or contact us and our team will install it for you.

We'll keep everyone updated through our mailing list :)

• @AnthonySmith said:

@DETio said:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1927380/#Comment_1927380

You just cant seem to make up your mind eh...

It's just going to flop at this point

• @DETio said:
    Can I also mention to check VirtEngine?

You can install our OpenSource edition this Week (Mon-Tuesday): http://docs.virtengine.com for free.

Thanks. But I am looking for something "simpler" as I only need it for 1 or may be 2 servers.

• @Sady said:
    Virtualizor has by-default support for it & you can also do it with proxmox too. Not sure if SolusVM has that feature on GUI but you can do it on SolusVM as well.

Interesting to know that.
    I knew proxmox can do that but I am more of a CentOS guy :)

I have never looked into Virtualizor in details. May be need to do that.

• @Umair said:

@Sady said:
    Virtualizor has by-default support for it & you can also do it with proxmox too. Not sure if SolusVM has that feature on GUI but you can do it on SolusVM as well.

Interesting to know that.
    I knew proxmox can do that but I am more of a CentOS guy :)

I have never looked into Virtualizor in details. May be need to do that.

I used to be CentOS guy too but since I have gotten into Debian/Ubuntu, I no longer use CentOS unless server is going to be deployed with Centminmod/cPanel.

I would rather use Proxmox instead of Virtualizor.

Thanked by 1AshleyUk
  • Sorry to bump this up

I just had a convo with SolusVM support.
    First they said SolusVM will not work 2 LVM setup. (i.e. adding 2nd disk from a different LVM)

When I mentioned "virtualizor can do it" they replied yes you can have 2nd disk. Without giving any info. No idea why the different answer.

Also they are suggesting to use CentOS 6 for node OS. Don't you think newer kernel and CentOS7 will give better performance ?