Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Block specific countries from accessing a wordpress website
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Block specific countries from accessing a wordpress website

Hi,

How can I block specific countries from accessing my wordpress website? I was looking at cloudflare but the enterprise plan is to expensive. I am looking for a low end solution. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Comments

• You can use .htaccess to block IPs of countries that you don't want. I use this one.
    http://www.ip2location.com/free/visitor-blocker

Thanked by 1ehab
  • I am using apache.

@CasualCanvas said:
    You can use .htaccess to block IPs of countries that you don't want. I use this one.
    http://www.ip2location.com/free/visitor-blocker

Does it need to be updated?

• You can do it with free plan of cloudflare. Use the firewall tab add the country name select block option and add. You will have to repeat this step for all the countries you want to block.

• WebGuru said: You can do it with free plan of cloudflare

You can only do javascript challenge, or captcha challenge. Can't block em no longer.

• @Foul said:

WebGuru said: You can do it with free plan of cloudflare

You can only do javascript challenge, or captcha challenge. Can't block em no longer.

What about using something like this

$block = ['US', 'UK'];
    if (in_array($_SERVER['HTTP_CF_IPCOUNTRY'], $block)) {
        die('BLOCKED!');
    }

Thanked by 1Foul
  • Hi,

I use plugins wordpress, called iq block country

• Blocking an entire country? Isn't that a little overkill?

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2016

@black said:
    Blocking an entire country? Isn't that a little overkill?

I hear Vpnostan is blocked by many hosts, not the best traffic coming from there. The ISP do not verify their customers and somtimes let them do silly stuff.

• black said: Blocking an entire country? Isn't that a little overkill?

Censorship is still a thing.

• @black said:
    @Ole_Juul said:

black said: Blocking an entire country? Isn't that a little overkill?

Actuallt i am going to block all countries except one.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@drdrake said:

@black said:
    @Ole_Juul said:

black said: Blocking an entire country? Isn't that a little overkill?

Actuallt i am going to block all countries except one.

That would be a whitelist then :P

Francisco

• BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2016

You could use something like Rage4 or CloudFront and set the IP to 127.0.0.1 for example and then set a GEO record for just your desired country to the actual IP. That's similar to what we do, and it's quite effective. It's not a complete block, but you could then still add an extra layer into the PHP code or something.

• @black said:

Sometimes it's generous. I block most of LACNIC, because they are a poorly run registry that seems to actively allow the use of human shields when it comes to abuse. Whether it's a region or country doesn't matter to me. I look for patterns of abuse, and take action as necessary. If you're in a IP range that is dirty, you can either act to clean it up or act to move, or pay me to accept the shit traffic. Empty complaints will fall on deaf ears.

• imho it is much better to filter access by iptables: get country-IP database (i.e. from maxmind) and either use geoip-match or load IPs you want to block/allow into ipset...

btw such a filtering is never 100% accurate, as some providers (typically telco-ops) get trans-country assigned IPs...

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul