Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Searching for dedicated Windows machine, preferably Frankfurt Europe
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Searching for dedicated Windows machine, preferably Frankfurt Europe

matijamatija Member
edited November 2016 in Requests

Hi everyone,

I'm searching trough forest of topics already but I hope there's more to choose from.

Moving to new server in a few weeks and here's the specs I need:

• Dedicated server
  • Windows Server 2012 R2
  • 4 cores single CPU
  • 8GB RAM (minimum)
  • 120GB SSD (minimum)
  • 5 IPv4
  • 5TB monthly bandwith (minimum)
  • Preferaby Frankfurt (connection to CIX)

Price range up to 50 EUR + VAT (without Windows license)

I'm running several business webapps, so reliability of network/provider is a must. I'm avoiding resellers.

So far I've pinned down:

• Aruba (not ideal latency to their Italy datacenters, they don't offer dedicated in Germany)
  • online.net (same as above, plus issues with SSD in one thread on LET)
  • LeaseWeb (pricey plus no option to have own Windows license)
  • KMS-Hosting (don't have SSD)

Any advice where to look next? Thanks

Comments

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

Hetzner is the way to go

Thanked by 2matija BeardyUnixGuy
  • Hello,

I would recommend IP Projects (make sure to check out their server auction at http://restposten.ip-projects.de). I use them myself for some business webapps. Their website is in German, however you can contact the support in English. I higly recommend them. Most servers can be upgraded as well if that's necessary. You can install your own Windows over a KVM over IP, which they provide for free for the initial install. Here's a video of the DC that they're using:

Thanked by 1matija
  • matijamatija Member
    edited November 2016

@exception0x876 said:
    Hetzner is the way to go

Any chance you know whether they offer Windows with own license? EX41-SSD seems perfect.

• @matija said:

@exception0x876 said:
    Hetzner is the way to go

Any chance you know whether they offer Windows with own license? EX41-SSD seems perfect.

No, but you got KVM for free for install yourself your own OS.

Thanked by 1matija
  • exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@matija said:

I believe they offer KVM for installation whatever ISO you've got. So that will allow you to use your own license.

Thanked by 1matija
  • @matija You can request a LARA (KVM over IP) at any time for free from Hetzner, which allows you to install an OS with your own ISO and license key.

Thanked by 1matija
  • @ascendrix said:
    Hello,

I would recommend IP Projects (make sure to check out their server auction at http://restposten.ip-projects.de). I use them myself for some business webapps. Their website is in German, however you can contact the support in English. I higly recommend them. Most servers can be upgraded as well if that's necessary. You can install your own Windows over a KVM over IP, which they provide for free for the initial install.

Looks very promising and latency is lower than Hetzner. Top of the list at the moment :) Thanks

• @matija Yes, their network is top tier. Another plus is the fair use bandwidth. They also peer with many ISPs in DACH such as DTAG or Swisscom AFAIK.

Thanked by 1matija
  • ButtersButters Member
    edited November 2016

ip-projects is really good, datafabrik.de also (brand of meerfarbig.io like colorhost.de and btw servercow hosts also there) may you can ask for a custom offer, older/used hardware or something like that

@matija
    are you a DTAG user?

• @Butters said:
    ip-projects is really good, datafabrik.de also (brand of meerfarbig.io like colorhost.de and btw servercow hosts also there) may you can ask for a custom offer, older/used hardware or something like that

Thanks, will take a look at those, although I'll probably go with IP-Projects

@matija
    are you a DTAG user?

No, I'm not from Germany, nor use german hosting provider ATM

• @matija and @Butters In my experience IP Projects is really a solid choice and they're the most flexible provider I've ever worked with. They can actually customize the hardware for you (even older servers) and setup a VLAN across multiple racks. On top of that the IP prices are very reasonable (if you need an IP block) and it can be SWIP'd to your RIPE ORGid.

• You may contact me: [email protected] - We have some fitting machines available.

• Just a quick update, I decided to go with IP-Projects and their i7 dedicated (32gb ram, 2x256 ssd, 5tb bandwith). Satisfied so far, great customer support. Thank you all, especially @ascendrix