Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Asia to Amsterdam
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Asia to Amsterdam

Hi,

does anyone here have advice on what VPS to get in the Netherlands that plays nicely with China Unicom?

Thanks!

Comments

• I could help if you are using China Telecom or China Mobile. CN2 direct peering with Germany then port forward to any Euro destination.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

@bryce are you in Amsterdam ?

• brycebryce Member
    edited November 2016

I am at /home. Can you rephrase your question? Do you want to meet up for coffee? :-)

China connectivity in any way is interesting, so feel free to share anything useful.

@bryce we have cloud locations at Amsterdam and Singapore i wanted to give you our looking glass urls to run some tests ?

• bryce said: China connectivity in any way is interesting, so feel free to share anything useful.

What budget do you have? 1EUR/Mbit is not realistic for quality CN BW outside of China Mobile, even in EU/US.

• yuri_kyuri_k Member
    edited November 2016

A key player in Central Europe is Interoute cloud, so maybe that could be suited for something in Amsterdam. There is peering to your requested internet service provider.

• yuri_k said: A key player in Central Europe is Interoute cloud

They do... what? 200 customers?

Interoute is primarily transit/transport and always was, yea their "cloud" looks nice as does DTAG and Telecom Italia but they are not end-user friendly and only target large enterprise even if that means half the infra is empty.

Interoute to CN is... ok, but not ideal either.

• brycebryce Member
    edited November 2016

@Ikoula yes please.
    @William very true. You are an expert on this, so I'd rather hear what you have to say than limit your advice by naming a number :-)

For me, budget depends on performance. To DO in the Netherlands is about 400ms right now. If it is either faster / lower latency or cheaper than their $5 VPS, that will do.

• bryce said: To DO in the Netherlands is about 400ms right now. If it is either faster or cheaper than their $5 VPS, that will do.

Are you after latency or quality? CN<->EU is nowhere latency optimized and the key routes to maintain quality switch often (FR-AE-IN, via red sea, via Russia, via US and there either JP, TW or HI/Guam...), for latency you have to at least use Asia or Oceania (or one of the stable LAX/SJC routes to CN).

• brycebryce Member
    edited November 2016

If quality means less congestion and packet loss and having that stable over time, I'll take it over latency any day.