Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why doesn't anyone here use opterons?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why doesn't anyone here use opterons?

skirtTightskirtTight Member
edited April 2013 in General

Title.

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2013

I think there are more, we had also but moved it back to its corporate cluster and replaced everything with intels in the VPSes for the masses business. Was a beast 48 real cores.

• RophRoph Member

Might have something to do with how AMD is still rocking 32nm, like it's three years ago.

• budingyunbudingyun Member
    edited April 2013

OVH use it.

• @Roph said: Might have something to do with how AMD is still rocking 32nm, like it's three years ago.

You're supposed to go for the best price/results ratio afaik

TDP is a factor too. A 4 sockets 48 cores beast is producing some heat.
    But, yeah, amd is very stable and cheap for the power. Just you have to stick with it if you intend to build large clusters, I am not sure it is a good idea, even if i am AMD fan.

• We use AMD's line extensively in supermicro systems, and have been very happy with the results...

• It's AMD and I use Intel! (just a personal preference) :)

• Amd needs to increase its focus back to servers.. Slightly older models now.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

I have one node with dual Opteron 4274 HE's (16 cores total). For the core count and the fact that I can pack in 256GB of RAM I am not unhappy with the purchase.

• Oliver you should upload a passmark results on one of those :>

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

The node's busy, so no sorry. :)

Besides I don't want to scare people. A wise poster here once said that anything but Xeons don't look professional and can make clients run away!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

ProviderService does.

model name : AMD Opteron(TM) Processor 6272

Actually I take using AMD as a sign that a provider actually knows what they're doing, as opposed to "herp derp, no one's been fired for buying Intel yet".

• ksecksec Member

@Roph said: Might have something to do with how AMD is still rocking 32nm, like it's three years ago.

Well assuming we are talking about Intel E5 grade CPU, which is up to today still based on 32nm as well.

• Because they are slow cores.

• Is IPXCore using AMD?

• taronyutaronyu Member
    edited April 2013
    • 1 for my internet
  • AmfyAmfy Member

@taronyu said: Is IPXCore using AMD?

As far as I know, he has some Nodes with AMD CPU(s)

• If the 96M nodes are AMD's I change my opinion about AMD's right now.

• I don't use them because I had a amd home computer that was slow

@superpilesos said: I don't use them because I had a amd home computer that was slow

One of these ? http://www.homecomputer.de/
    Slow computer can be from many causes, most frequent low ram, then slow or fragmented hard disk (for windows), misconfigured one (IDE emulation), malware, things like those.
    Any modern CPU (post 2006) should be enough for the way the computer feels even with w7, no matter the make.
    Sure, for mining bitcoins, will probably be very slow, but for browsing and everyday activities, will do.

• @superpilesos said: I don't use them because I had a amd home computer that was slow

Oh, this is why people were avoiding AMD. Because @superpilesos's computer is slow!

• That wasn't a serious response.
    Many applications are still not making use of multiple cores, I'd prefer 4 of intel's fast E3 cores than 16 2ghz amd

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Maounique said: Sure, for mining bitcoins, will probably be very slow, but for browsing and everyday activities, will do.

I thought I read that the latest bitcoin client doesn't even support CPU-based mining anymore...only GPU-based.

Regardless, the world seems to have moved beyond CPU, GPU, and even FPGA for bitcoin mining: https://www.weusecoins.com/en/mining-guide

• We use both E3's and Opterons. I can't really say that one or the other is better or worse. E3's are intentionally crippled to only address 32gb of ram, but none of our servers have over 20gb of ram in use, so it ends up being a non-issue.

Opterons have more true cores, but at a slower clock rate. If you need high clock rate CPUs, go with E3s. If you're selling to a parallel processing crowd (think VPS), go with Opteron.

Someone on here posted that VPS companies aren't "serious" because they generally aren't using E5's.... I don't see the point in using E5's unless you enjoy throwing money away, since with the exception of @miTgiB, it seems like most E5's are crippled with SATA drives. Like putting a Ferrari engine in your Daewoo.

• E5 does not perform well for the price imo. I`m buying E3 V2 CPUs at the moment.

• @superpilesos said: E5 does not perform well for the price imo.

This is our opinion too. If there's anything we need that an E3 cannot handle, it gets an Opteron instead. I've been quite pleased with Opteron 6348's.

• wilbowilbo Member

Datashack can't seem to keep Opertons in stock. I was watching one for weeks to order, but they never got any in stock.

• marcmmarcm Member

@Damian - This has been our opinion as well. E3's score far better in UnixBench, and for anything else the Opterons provide a good bang for the buck. We don't have any Opterons yet, however we will soon enough. The E5 doesn't provide great value for what it costs.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I recall KiloServe used 48-core beasts. Their VPSes were indeed very speedy (I had one for ~1 month).