Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can i host mail server on same domain and under different IP?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can i host mail server on same domain and under different IP?

postcdpostcd Member
edited November 2016 in Help

In cloudflare DNS zone, there is MX record for domain.com -> mail.domain.com
and A record for the mail.domain.com is set to the webserver's IP

Good, but i would like to manage (send/receive) mail on different server than one where domain.com has its website.

So i just need to point A record for the mail.domain.com to different IP and set rDNS/PTR of that IP to mail.domain.com, set mail server's hostname to mail.domain.com and when someone open mail.domain.com in webbrowser, it will ask my mail server to show webpage?

So the result would be i am protected from cloudflare IP leak thanks to MX record pointing to the different server than domain.com is hosted i assume?

So this way each subdomain of the domain.com can be hosted on different server

Then i will instruct my website to send mail thru mail.domain.com SMTP and that is all needed? Assuming i will setup mail account, DKIM, SPF on the mail server, i would like to use https://mailinabox.email/ installator for the mil server setup, looks nice. Thx

Comments