Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can l5420 Can handle 100k users with wp
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can l5420 Can handle 100k users with wp

pardeeppardeep Member
edited November 2016 in Requests

Hi,

I was planing to start a website where from the first week i will be getting 100K users a day in the evening times.

so i will be using wordpress with daily 100 post appox and vestacp default configuration and below is my preferance

Dual L5420
8Gb ram
240 GB SSD

Does dual 5420 and 8 gb ram can handle 100k users or i need to go for a higher configuration cpu.

so i need suggestion for choosing a dedi for my need.

Thanks

Comments

• Maybe. You probably need to provide much more information to get any sort of useful answer.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • @Microlinux said:
    Maybe. You probably need to provide much more information to get any sort of useful answer.

sorry may i know information related to so that i can update it. as i have very low knowledge on this

• How certain are you of the traffic? Are you buying the traffic?

As to WordPress, install a good caching plugin and you should be fairly safe, however you will likely need to adjust Nginx/Apache to ensure you have enough connections allowed.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

So 100k users, 100 new posts p/day, a full vesta stack (for some reason), the answer is yes it 'can'

With very little knowledge, probably not, not at any sort of speed you would be happy with at peaks.

That's only 1.16 pages served per second which you can manage if you do it right.

Don't take offence but it seems apparent that you don't even know what you don't know so I think the chances of doing it well are slim.

My advice, hire someone to setup proper caching and optimization, and do a good database optimization, forget vesta CP it is useless bloat for a single site.

A 1 time fee will remove all barriers and headaches by getting it right the first time, not sure if it the sort of work @joepie91 takes on but his rates are fair.

• IHaveADarkPassenger said: How certain are you of the traffic? Are you buying the traffic?

No actually! just direct traffic as this is org based website.

yes i have modified max allowed connection in nginx and mysql too. but does l5420 cpu with 8gb is enough for this for the max users listed above

• @AnthonySmith said:
    So 100k users, 100 new posts p/day, a full vesta stack (for some reason), the answer is yes it 'can'

With very little knowledge, probably not, not at any sort of speed you would be happy with at peaks.

That's only 1.16 pages served per second which you can manage if you do it right.

Don't take offence but it seems apparent that you don't even know what you don't know so I think the chances of doing it well are slim.

My advice, hire someone to setup proper caching and optimization, and do a good database optimization, forget vesta CP it is useless bloat for a single site.

A 1 time fee will remove all barriers and headaches by getting it right the first time, not sure if it the sort of work @joepie91 takes on but his rates are fair.

I will look into this, yup offence. as i don't know about full configuration

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

pardeep said: yes i have modified max allowed connection in nginx and mysql too. but does l5420 cpu with 8gb is enough for this for the max users listed above

Are they spread even over the day, do you get peaks, if so what is the average peak, what is the maximum simultaneous traffic at any given time?

What plugins are you using?

Do you have any caching set up?

Are you behind Cloudflare?

There is a LOT to consider, the way your asking you might as well be saying can I travel from London to Manchester in under 2 hours and giving absolutely no information.

The answer is 'yes in theory'

• I never understand with 100k users a day you cant but a discrete banner ad on the bottom of the page and afford a small E5 from WSI or E3 from OVH. Why is everything L5420 or 3 million users on a Atom 230. Give yourself some head room if this site earns money and use a few servers because I don't want to read how your server is down and you are loosing £3million a hour because you got a $20/month server.

End of rant

• @OpticalSwoosh said:
    I never understand with 100k users a day you cant but a discrete banner ad on the bottom of the page and afford a small E5 from WSI or E3 from OVH.

Most people grossly over-estimate the amount of traffic they are going to get.

It seems this person believes that as soon as their site is up, the Internet will beat down the door, shutting down servers. Yet, they are here getting advice.

• L5420... did you hear the word 'AES-NI' before @pardeep ?

Nah, not realistic on this scale though the system is old... it probably works on a recent/ok configured stack (that numbers are not really high) fine.

Thanked by 1OpticalSwoosh
  • @Microlinux said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:
    I never understand with 100k users a day you cant but a discrete banner ad on the bottom of the page and afford a small E5 from WSI or E3 from OVH.

Most people grossly over-estimate the amount of traffic they are going to get.

It seems this person believes that as soon as their site is up, the Internet will beat down the door, shutting down servers. Yet, they are here getting advice.

Then why don't they create a scale-able solution using digital ocean or any other hourly provider and use 2 load balancers. Would ensure near 0% downtime and be better suited to local audiences due to the local datacentre. I'd ask the OP to PM me and I can assit in doing this.