Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VOIP service providers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VOIP service providers

We're happy with our VOIP provider but the most expensive aspect of their service is extensions. We're looking to add a few extensions and I want to shop around.

What we need:

• 5 SIP extensions
  • 2 UK landline numbers
  • 2 call groups
  • Voicemail
  • Call recording (we pull the recordings off their servers every day to save £)
  • About 10 hours of calls (plenty of international, mobile etc.) per month

Not interested in hosting this ourselves or relying on a very small business in general but I would like recommendations for established VOIP companies.

Comments

• I've been using OVH VOIP for personal use (single line only) and can't complain. Perhaps you can find a suitable solution wiht them? https://www.ovhtelecom.fr/telephonie/ (for 0.99€/m I got 1 landline number and free calls to landlines, rates to mobile numbers are okay as well)

• jh said: What we need

Sonetel provide everything needed for create own virtual phone system

• eloftyelofty Member
    edited November 2016

removed

• why aint hosting your own Service? ... $2-$3 KVM VPS, opensourse XIVO and a termination and origination provider like AvneoDirect .. rock solid phone solution... unlimited lines, extensions, auto-attendant etc for pennies on the dollar ..

I'm running one on virmach, OVH and digital ocean .. all works great

Thanked by 2elofty DragonDF
  • Noobie friendly tutorial http://nerdvittles.com/?p=20177

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • eloftyelofty Member
    edited November 2016

@borngreat said:
    why aint hosting your own Service? ... $2-$3 KVM VPS, opensourse XIVO and a termination and origination provider like AvneoDirect .. rock solid phone solution... unlimited lines, extensions, auto-attendant etc for pennies on the dollar ..

would you recommend xivo over freepbx? I dont like that travellinman firewall crap that nerdvittles always adds on, I can never get it to work on dynamic ip isp's

• @Mathias said:
    I've been using OVH VOIP for personal use (single line only) and can't complain. Perhaps you can find a suitable solution wiht them? https://www.ovhtelecom.fr/telephonie/ (for 0.99€/m I got 1 landline number and free calls to landlines, rates to mobile numbers are okay as well)

The pricing is spot on. How much are the calls to US/Canada. Are the SIP PoPs anywhere near Seattle/NA or is it strictly French PoPs?

• jhjh Member
    edited November 2016

Thanks. I'd seen Voipfone.

borngreat said: why aint hosting your own Service? ... $2-$3 KVM VPS, opensourse XIVO and a termination and origination provider like AvneoDirect .. rock solid phone solution... unlimited lines, extensions, auto-attendant etc for pennies on the dollar ..

borngreat said: Noobie friendly tutorial

Because when our phones don't work, I don't want to learn that it Johnny's 16th birthday party and he and is mates will be home late (but don't tell their parents).

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

We've been selling VoIP for going on 3 years, but since you seem not to favour small companies - we started out with AA.net.uk for our first VoIP line a good 5 years or so back. They were excellent, I believe they have hosted PBX too, call recording etc.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Voip.ms ?

• Yes I'll definitely recommend XIVO, it's the gold standard now and I already moved all other installation to it.

@elofty said:

@borngreat said:
    why aint hosting your own Service? ... $2-$3 KVM VPS, opensourse XIVO and a termination and origination provider like AvneoDirect .. rock solid phone solution... unlimited lines, extensions, auto-attendant etc for pennies on the dollar ..

would you recommend xivo over freepbx? I dont like that travellinman firewall crap that nerdvittles always adds on, I can never get it to work on dynamic ip isp's

• borngreatborngreat Member
    edited November 2016

• @borngreat said:
    Yes I'll definitely recommend XIVO, it's the gold standard now and I already moved all other installation to it.

@elofty said:

@borngreat said:

Thanks for the reply. I'll see if i can get my provider to add the iso for me to install.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Mathias said:
    I've been using OVH VOIP for personal use (single line only) and can't complain. Perhaps you can find a suitable solution wiht them? https://www.ovhtelecom.fr/telephonie/ (for 0.99€/m I got 1 landline number and free calls to landlines, rates to mobile numbers are okay as well)

Not available in UK anymore, as they did terminate their VOIP/SIP services a several years ago.

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member
    edited November 2016

I've used Dial9 in the past, very good for UK.

Would be cheaper to get two numbers and have them pointed to your own server, 3CS is pretty good.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Contact me if you need any advice. We're using VoIP in our office and we know an excellent provider for trunk, then you'd only need to setup Asterisk rtc.

Cheers

• didlogic are a good trunk, used them for years, nice and cheap too :)

• @WebProject said:

@Mathias said:

Not available in UK anymore, as they did terminate their VOIP/SIP services a several years ago.

It is still available. You just have to use the French site. You can order lines from FR, BE, NL, UK, DE, ES and CH.
    But support will be in French only.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2016

@Mathias said:

@WebProject said:

@Mathias said:

It is still available. You just have to use the French site. You can order lines from FR, BE, NL, UK, DE, ES and CH.

Last time I have spoke to OVH, they told me that I will need to have French address in order to purchase SIP/VOIP services. Good news, if it's possible to order outside of France.

Updated:
    Tried to register and it's redirect me to ovh.co.uk website.

• @WebProject said:

@Mathias said:

@WebProject said:

@Mathias said:

Last time I have spoke to OVH, they told me that I will need to have French address in order to purchase SIP/VOIP services. Good news, if it's possible to order outside of France.

Updated:
    Tried to register and it's redirect me to ovh.co.uk website.

Weird. I don't live in France (I live in Belgium 50km from OVH HQ) and could order it just fine. Strange stuff... (I do have a .fr account and not a .nl/.ie one)