Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

your opinion on VPS vs dedicated (for app use in Asia)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

your opinion on VPS vs dedicated (for app use in Asia)

seizureseizure Member
edited November 2016 in General

bear with me as i'm new to this.

i'm developing (in VN) and testing an app in Asia... (SG/HK)

currently we're using a test server with 1GB ram for our app's DB/auth/storage. it is an OpenVZ VPS account and it works fine for testing.

for initial production use, we're considering migrating to another OVZ account with more memory (Couchbase recommends 16GB of ram).

i then thought that we should be getting two VPS for redundancy - located on physically separate servers.

the best pricing (high ram SG accounts) i've seen currently are about $35/month/OVZ account for 8GB of RAM.

i understand that KVMs appear to be more "reliable" than OVZ, however the options for SG KVM seem limited - a little more than double the price of OVZ at about $80/month/SG account.

as i'm working on quite a small (personally funded) budget, i'm unsure if this is the right step forward...

instead of considering 2 x OVZ, should we get only 1 x KVM? or would we be better off getting 1 dedicated server? (this would likely cost us about $200/month for a dedicated SG server with 8GB of ram, something we're unable to afford right now unless absolutely necessary)

if it makes any different - we were previously using AWS and it was costing us about US$35/month, AND we don't have a big budget to work with at the moment.

any advice or leads greatly appreciated - SG preferred, but anything in Asia with reliable routing to VN would work too.

(the internet connection in VN to the US goes down on a regular basis for a whole host of reasons)

Comments

• niknik Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2016

Well that totally depends on what you are building. What technology are we talking about? How many requests per second/minute do you expect?

• We can actually do it both in Singapore and Hong Kong (direct china route).

Feel free to get in contact with us via email or live chat.

• we're building what i think can be described as a generic e-commerce app.

we were previously prototyping with AWS (dynamodb + s3 + cognito) + AWS SDKs.

we're currently testing on a Debian VPS (Couchbase will handle db and auth and storage) + REST APIs (ruby).

we've configured our db to use only 512MB of ram atm.

• If you can loadtest your Dev server and see if it serves fine, may be for the moment you can just upgrade to a 2core/2GB KVM and run it for 4-6 weeks monitoring loads at all time and see the spikes or worst any services going down. If you hit a bottleneck upgrade to 4GB RAM KVM and so on... that's the best way to scale up and save costs if you can afford some "teething period"

• @mehargags i suspect "incremental upgrading" is what i'll have to do to keep costs down, as you have suggested.

if anyone has further recommendations, either on a service or perhaps another developer with experience/insight, please feel free to pipe up.

• My (context less) thoughts:

If you're willing to trade some latency, why don't you try with a EU option. I think in general latency from SG to EU should be pretty decent/reliable/consistent. My thinking (esp. in the early days) is that you can trade off a bit of (network) speed for a better experience (esp. when you consider better RAM/caching etc. on the stack).

Take a look at https://www.scaleway.com/pricing/ (caveat I've not used it personally but considering that it is an online.net related company it should be at least reliable and around for the longer term). They have a 32GB 8 core instance that is cheap (of course it's not the best of breed CPU) but you can quickly give it a spin and see if it works for you. Even if it is slow (network wise), the huge memory will help you test/iron out issues before you put serious money into a local instance nearer SG.

This way you'll save the big $$$ for when you're really tested and know that it's worth spending the money.

My $.02.

Hope it helps.

• i appreciate your candor. i agree and add that speeds from SG to most parts of the world are pretty acceptable.

however, the issue is... i'm developing from Vietnam. internet access here can be very trying... even on fibre.

there are outages that come with no warnings, or notices in a language that i don't understand...

i will check out your recommendation (at first glance, it looks very well priced). thank you!

• go leaseweb sg