Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Klaba: OVH to increase prices because 'cost of RAM is increasing' - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Klaba: OVH to increase prices because 'cost of RAM is increasing'

2»

Comments

• jiggawattz said: How much value does ECC really add? (Mind you: I don't run anything personally that needs ECC. To me, ECC adds no value.)

For servers with a low amount of memory (up to 32gb I would say) there's not much value added.

The more memory-sticks you have in a server, the more ecc ram makes sense because just one faulty stick will cause crashes etc.

For servers with 8+ memory sticks I would say it is a must-have, otherwise you could run into a lot of instability issues.

Thanked by 1jiggawatt
  • jiggawattz said: Or in other words: If ECC boxen increased in price by 30% - how much demand realistically do you reckon would shift away to non-ECC? (assuming everything else stays the same)

None. E5 and X/E/L Xeons cannot natively run non-ECC ram easily (yea, yea, the Mac Pro and Intel's Skulltrail is an exception, but this has limits also.)

ECC is also required for any real business, especially now that larger storage arrays are commonplace and ZFS/CEPH do rely on error correction (not as much anymore, but still.).

jiggawattz said: How much value does ECC really add?

Enourmous once your entire filesystem dies because of a single dead bit.

jiggawattz said: I predict OVH will raise prices across the board by at least 20%

Unlikely as that brings prices over the competition.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited November 2016

Pre-announcing it may be to help clear out some old stock. Aren't they due a new 'range'?

Thanked by 2Waldo19 jiggawatt
  • @jiggawattz said:

How much value does ECC really add? (Mind you: I don't run anything personally that needs ECC. To me, ECC adds no value.)

LOL. I have no words. There is no realistic price increase that would force me away from ECC.

Just a friendly reminder that LE* is 0.0001% of the market.

Thanked by 1jiggawatt
  • I couldn't ever justify using non-ECC RAM for a server build. Parity aside, the lower fault rates alone make it much cheaper in the long run. We're dealing with servers here, presumably with important data.

Thanked by 1jiggawatt
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2016

iwaswrongonce said: LOL. I have no words. There is no realistic price increase that would force me away from ECC.

Then why do you even come and post here, if LET is so insignificant and you're personally so much more premium than anyone else?

Thanked by 3jiggawatt J1021 sin
  • jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited November 2016

ricardo said: Pre-announcing it may be to help clear out some old stock. Aren't they due a new 'range'?

Yeah this is probably how they do Black Friday: instead of dropping the price, they threaten you with a future price increase.

@iwaswrongonce said:
    LOL. I have no words. There is no realistic price increase that would force me away from ECC.

I don't dispute the value of ECC to many consumers and demand is probably what is driving high prices - but I wonder how much OVH serves those consumers. It seems to me that those requiring ECC would tend go with AWS, Rackspace, etc etc. If a crash because of a bad bit is disastrous to you - do you put it on an OVH dedi to begin with (ECC or not?)

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2016

Just bought 25x8GB DDR3 ECC unbuffered last few days the costs seems high since last time We try.

• ZareZare Member, Host Rep

There is a huge shortage on 16GB DDR4 ECC VLP Unbuffered UDIMMS. These are required for the MicroCloud chassis's that OVH and lots of other hosts (including us) have started using.

We have had VLP DDR4 Unbuffered memory on order since the start of last month and it won't be fulfilled for another 4 weeks. (we were told a 7-10 day lead time). So something big happened.

We're being told its because Sony/Microsoft/Apple/Google etc are buying the memory supplies up for consoles/phones and Crucial are the only large supplier of said memory.

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • @Zare said:

So something big happened.

Trump is president. Thats big enough.

• Whatever price increases that occurred.... Shouldn't te> @graphic said:

@Zare said:

So something big happened.

Trump is president. Thats big enough.

Or orange enough.

• It appears the prices have already increased on Kimsufi range of servers, at least one of them. I purchased the KS-4C a few months back for $24/month, but it's now showing as $32.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2016

@leckley said:
    It appears the prices have already increased on Kimsufi range of servers, at least one of them. I purchased the KS-4C a few months back for $24/month, but it's now showing as $32.

Thats CAD not USD I guess.

KS4-C is still 21.99EUR

• leckleyleckley Member
    edited November 2016

@Neoon said:

@leckley said:
    It appears the prices have already increased on Kimsufi range of servers, at least one of them. I purchased the KS-4C a few months back for $24/month, but it's now showing as $32.

Thats CAD not USD I guess.

KS4-C is still 21.99EUR

It appears the Kimsufi website is broken, you change the flag and the language is updating but it's showing the incorrect USD amounts. The order form itself is still showing $24 USD though...so no price increase then.

• @jiggawattz said:
    I don't dispute the value of ECC to many consumers and demand is probably what is driving high prices - but I wonder how much OVH serves those consumers. It seems to me that those requiring ECC would tend go with AWS, Rackspace, etc etc. If a crash because of a bad bit is disastrous to you - do you put it on an OVH dedi to begin with (ECC or not?)

People say this, and I don't get why. Look at AWS uptime. Look at AWS prices. Then look at OVH uptime, and OVH pricing. We have chosen OVH for the vast majority of our infrastructure.

Also, the concern is less about a crashing server and more about a bit flip. Server crashes we can handle. But silent data corruption would present serious issues for us.

Thanked by 1jiggawatt