Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

optimizing costs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

optimizing costs

Hello,

can you help me to optimize my costs regarding my needs?

I am running 2 wordpress meme blogs.

1st blog:
runs at digital oceans 10$ plan
5k visitors - 7/8k views daily

2nd blog:
runs at liteserver 768mb plan
1/1.5k visitors - 2k views daily

I was running both on the 768mb plan and was getting problematic.

should I melt it into 1 bigger vps (more cpu, more ram) ?

or run both on 2 seperate vps with lower specs?

I am using vpssim (nginx, mariadb, redis), because I am really lazy.

how would you run this show?

Thanked by 1bersy

Comments

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited November 2016

DO 10$ plan is a 1GB ram plan. It should be enough to serve just 8k views daily, even if those posts are photos. Even more the second plan. 2k views daily is really nothing, for 768MB plan.
    You should check your config. If WP is bloated with tons of, or problematic plugins, then, you will face a moment that even a 6GB SSD vps won't serve you smoothly. it is the nature of most of WP plugins, bad coded, recourse killers.
    If I were you, I would start to examine the structure of my WP sites, than moving them to other server.

P.S. you could fit both of your sites even in a decent (ssd, not oversold) 768MB vps if the websites were properly configured.

• The latter blog would probably fit on a shared host very easily. That would minimize your costs in that respect. Could you give us an idea on your bandwidth usage per month, cpu utilization and used memory? That will help people to give you a good suggestion on perhaps a single server or two smaller servers for your use case.

If shared hosting is an option then you might like to look at the LowEndBox posts I made.

Part 1 - Part 2

Also do you know what bottlenecks you were hitting when you merged them on the 768MB plan? Was it a CPU or memory limitation?

• lustixlustix Member
    edited November 2016

@jvnadr yes you are abs. correct, but I need to use a lot of plugins.

1st blog for example:
    grido theme, yoast seo, ithemes security, contact form, popup plugin, share buttons plugin, etc etc tons of usual stuff to run a meme site.

so you would consider one strong vps.

• This could run on shared hosting, we provide accounts with 1GB RAM and it's based on the LiteSpeed webserver.

PM me if you want to discuss.

• @IThinkUFailed said:

~250-300gb traffic monthly
    I was running out of memory, mysql needed to be restarted manually and logs showed me that the vps low on memory

• Like @Ishaq said, you can run that on a shared hosting but check the inodes limit and the available storage.

You can also get a VPS from OVH and use any cloud storage service (https://www.backblaze.com/b2/cloud-storage-pricing.html is good/cheap enough).

There is also one other way if you want to go cheaper with the storage, use Google Drive, you get 15 GB for free.

Finally, do you really need to use Wordpress ? Too many problems imo. That's a nice traffic you got there and I guess you're getting some $ out of it. Invest in custom script and you wont' regret it!

• niknik Member, Host Rep

1 GB RAM should be enough for your 2 sites. You can either buy more hardware or optimise your current stack, both will work, the one option will cost more money the other more time ;-).

• @lustix said:
    @IThinkUFailed said:

~250-300gb traffic monthly
    I was running out of memory, mysql needed to be restarted manually and logs showed me that the vps low on memory

If you're good with shared hosting then I would definitely suggest Ishaq's pageclick brand as it's pretty cheap and with LiteSpeed being added it's a touch better than before ;)

Do you utilize any form of caching currently? That could help to lower memory usage.

• lustixlustix Member
    edited November 2016

@dotted

I am afraid of getting kicked, because of high ram/cpu usage. And downtime would be good for my sites, since I get all of the hits from google.

For now I am earning 150-200$/ month and I think thats not worth to invest in something custom for now.

I think I will go for a higher spec plan on DO and melt them into one vps

@IThinkUFailed

memchache, redis cache, zend opcache

• @lustix said:
    @dotted

I am afraid of getting kicked, because of high ram/cpu usage. And downtime would be good for my sites, since I get all of the hits from google.

I don't think this would happen to be honest but I do understand your point of view.

For now I am earning 150-200$/ month and I think thats not worth to invest in something custom for now.

Good! At least you can splurge a tiny bit on a quality provider for these sites.

I think I will go for a higher spec plan on DO and melt them into one vps

DigitalOcean is a great choice but I definitely think your latter blog with 2k daily views would be fine on shared.

@IThinkUFailed

memchache, redis cache, zend opcache

Make sure your caching is configured optimally as that can really reduce your load.