Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

irc == Ddos in the UK?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

irc == Ddos in the UK?

24khost24khost Member
edited April 2013 in General

So I am doing some research with all the hosts latley that have had to pull out of the UK from getting Ddosed to death

DotVPS = Allowed IRC
EaseVPS = Allowed IRC
NodeDeploy = Allows IRC
Inception = Allows IRC
StomVZ = Does not allow IRC
UGVPS = Allowed IRC

If you can think of some others just trying to see if there is a pattern.

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

Wow, case solved.

Lets me see, they also all provided:

OpenVZ
    UK Servers
    Ram
    SolsuVM
    Hard drives
    Etc...

• I dont think its related.. Of course it is going to seem that way if the majority allowed IRC.... IRC is totally unrelated. The attack was moving across the subnets, not targeting one VPS.

• Its not just the uk providers who allow IRC, so why should this be a reason at all?

• bnmklbnmkl Member

It is the BBC.

• Just researching. As to see if there is some common link.

• @bnmkl said: It is the BBC.

I don't think that they could afford these attacks. They barely got any money left after Cameron's cuts. haha

• @24khost said: As to see if there is some common link.

There is a common link, they all sell servers in the United Kingdom.

• LukeTLukeT Member

Can't be exactly related to one thing. IRC may well be part of it yet I've been with 2-3 premium/managed hosts and they have no issue what so ever.

• I am trying to figure out something a little research. Something that ties this all together. To me there has to be something that makes sense. Random attacks don't make sense.

• @Benedikt said: I don't think that they could afford these attacks. They barely got any money left after Cameron's cuts. haha

The Royal Wedding, Jubilee and the Olympics ran them dry.

• @LukeT what hosts that are premium/managed do you speak of. I want to read the TOS.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Benedikt said: I don't think that they could afford these attacks. They barely got any money left after Cameron's cuts. haha

Ahahaha. :D

• @24khost said: To me there has to be something that makes sense. Random attacks don't make sense.

I agree with you, but don't you think its just a costumer moving from one provider to another? Or, as many others mentioned before, a competitor wants to say who's the daddy.

• marcmmarcm Member

Phoenix VPS = Allows IRC

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@marcm said: Phoenix VPS = Allows IRC

• LukeTLukeT Member

@24khost said: @LukeT what hosts that are premium/managed do you speak of. I want to read the TOS.

Uh SWBroadband + WebFusion are the ones I remember

• bnmklbnmkl Member

Haha, @Benedikt & @MrAndroid. Good !

• @marcm Phoenix VPS = UK????

• edited April 2013

Phoenix VPS is Phoenix AZ AFAIK. From what I know of the DDOS protection possibly secured servers specifically.

• @ShardHost My point exactly is with UK hosts, trying to find the common bond.

• Wow, case solved.

Lets me see, they also all provided:

OpenVZ

UK Servers
    Ram
    SolsuVM
    Hard drives
    Etc...

You left out the most important similarity between all of these hosts: they all provided IP addresses and the attacks all targeted IP ranges!

Simple solution: ban IP addresses and the DDoS problem is solved!

• @DomainBop funny!

Now being serious. Any other LEB providers I am missing from the UK that may have been ddosed?

• NickONickO Member

http://www.lowendbox.com/tag/uk/

Phew, that was hard.

@24khost said: Any other LEB providers I am missing from the UK that may have been ddosed?

• I went through that list and looked for ones I could remember being ddosed. Any that were ddos'ed that I didn't list?

• @24khost said: Now being serious. Any other LEB providers I am missing from the UK that may have been ddosed?

Although I think this is a pointless exercise, should maybe make a list of UK providers that have not publicly announced DDOS and compare.

Is this not just the case of poor DC choices? How transparent have DCs been with these providers?

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited April 2013

I want these to stop just trying to figure out what they all have in common besides the stupid answers people have posted. I want to know why other providers who are not LET members are not having as many problems.

• LeeLee Veteran

@ShardHost said: Although I think this is a pointless exercise, should maybe make a list of UK providers that have not publicly announced DDOS and compare.

Yeah, let's make a target list ffs, seriously, not all providers think it's a good idea to Shout about it.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@ShardHost said: should maybe make a list of UK providers that have not publicly announced DDOS and compare.

Then post them here so they know who they've missed.

• LukeTLukeT Member

Is it just hosts in RapidSwitch + UKServers getting attacked? I've noticed most going towards RapidSwitch but correct me if I'm wrong :p

• I don't believe in random acts. There is always motive or a reason. I know that people think that the irc thing is crazy, but there is a reason that Hostdime, Burst, Phoenix Nap don't allow irc.