Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

shopping around for providers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

shopping around for providers

I am currently using Delimiter for a few different servers and DigitalOcean for another server. I am looking to potentially consolidate down, ensure I am getting good deals, and of course good performance.

I took a look at some of the top providers, but it doesn't look like one place will be able to cover some of my needs while keeping costs anywhere near what Delimiter has to offer.

I wanted to see if any folks here had suggestions on a provider that might hit my needs, or if I already hit the jackpot with Delimiter.

Here is the breakdown of what I have and what I am using:

DigitalOcean

• $10 per month droplet
    • Hosting a small website
    • Could potentially downgrade to the $5 droplet based on current memory and CPU use

Delimiter

• L5520/16G

• $200 annually / ~$17 a month
    • 120 GB SSD
    • Windows Server hosting SQL and a web application
    • This has to be Windows to function (unfortunately)
    • Really only needs 2 CPU cores and 4 GB of RAM to function, but the bigger box was cheaper for some reason
  • L5630/24G

• $468 annually / $39 a month
    • 250 GB SSD
    • Windows Server hosting a few game servers, TeamSpeak, Plex, and some random scripts
    • I have thought of reimaging this and making it a VM host to segregate out some of the functions into different VMs
    • Memory usage is fairly low here, biggest memory hog is the few game servers. CPU and bandwidth matter most for the Plex server
  • StorageVPS

• 2 TB of storage
    • $168 annually / $14 a month
    • This is used to host the media for Plex, along with backups from the other servers

Comments

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited November 2016

Must be Genius!

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Just so I have this right.

2 x windows licenses

2 x dedicated servers with SSD's and a total of 28GB Ram

2 x VPS minimum 2TB storage.

$80 p/month

I could not touch it.

Personally I would probably looking for a 32GB server with 2 SSD's in Raid 1 and 2 x 2TB in Raid1

Thanked by 3GCat teh_g doughmanes
  • Buy 1 dedi with 64GB RAM or 2 with 32GB and virtualise everything?

Thanked by 1teh_g
  • @AnthonySmith said:

2 x windows licenses

$80 p/month

I could not touch it.

Personally I would probably looking for a 32GB server with 2 SSD's in Raid 1 and 2 x 2TB in Raid1

Windows Servers licenses are covered. I also could drop one of the Windows Servers and run Linux on it. Only reason I did Windows on there was for pure laziness.

@OpticalSwoosh said:
    Buy 1 dedi with 64GB RAM or 2 with 32GB and virtualise everything?

I was thinking of doing that. Not sure if I can beat the price I have now with one beefy server.

• IThinkUFailedIThinkUFailed Member
    edited November 2016

@teh_g said:

@AnthonySmith said:

2 x windows licenses

$80 p/month

I could not touch it.

Windows Servers licenses are covered. I also could drop one of the Windows Servers and run Linux on it. Only reason I did Windows on there was for pure laziness.

@OpticalSwoosh said:
    Buy 1 dedi with 64GB RAM or 2 with 32GB and virtualise everything?

I was thinking of doing that. Not sure if I can beat the price I have now with one beefy server.

This is by no means a complete list but it's just some that I can think of off the top of my head.

QuickPacket - In Atlanta @qps so they can see this

ReliableServers (Check their WHT threads as they're always happy to discuss pricing and such) based in Picastaway NJ

ReliableSite - @MrRadic same as above and also have a Miami location.

VirMach - they resell HudsonValleyHost E3's for a pretty cheap price and might be worth a look at usually in Buffalo though.

HudsonValleyHost - Same as above @VSNX_Nick

Wholesaleinternet might also have some stuff you could look at

Datashack/NOCIX - Pretty much same as WSI(WholeSaleInternet)

Maybe Joes DC could be good?

Zare - if the UK is okay for you. @Zare

WorldStream are also reasonably priced.

@Clouvider may also be able to help in Enfield, London if that works.

Psychz might also be able to help @PhotonVPS

Of course don't forget about people like OVH and possibly Online.net. If you go for the latter make sure to use something like Proxmox as it'll make your life a bit easier with management :)

I hope this is a bit of help at least.

EDIT: Storage VPS look at https://openvz.io/ they're owned by Iniz @kt

Thanked by 2Clouvider teh_g
  • bersybersy Member
    edited November 2016

teh_g said: StorageVPS

2 TB of storage

$168 annually / $14 a month
    This is used to host the media for Plex, along with backups from the other servers

@AshleyUk (ZXHost) 2TB storage offer might still be valid.

teh_g said: DigitalOcean

$10 per month droplet

Hosting a small website
    Could potentially downgrade to the $5 droplet based on current memory and CPU use

If you are looking for a more affordable options, check ProviderServise and AboveClouds (OpenVZ, hourly billing, only UK location) for example.

Thanked by 1UltraVPS
  • @teh_g is Canada an option for you or it must be within USA?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Thanks for mentioning @IThinkUFailed :-)

Thanked by 1IThinkUFailed
  • teh_gteh_g Member
    edited November 2016

@IThinkUFailed
    Thanks for the huge list, I will have to do some research

@rivermigue said:
    @teh_g is Canada an option for you or it must be within USA?

Aiming for North America in general. I need to be able to stream via Plex whenever I travel here in the states.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/96495/29-95-cheap-dedicated-servers-six-core-xeon-16gb-ddr3-ram-unmetered-bw-free-ipmi-free-ssd

Maybe you can do something with that, seems like there is some wiggle room to add a few disks and stay on budget?

• @teh_g said:
    @IThinkUFailed
    Thanks for the huge list, I will have to do some research

@rivermigue said:
    @teh_g is Canada an option for you or it must be within USA?

Aiming for North America in general. I need to be able to stream via Plex whenever I travel here in the states.

Hope it's a bit of help. Don't forget to check out the other brands OVH offer such as Kimsufi and SoYouStart.

• @teh_g If you are interested, I can offer you the following in comparison to DO (Excluding SSD)

2xE5-1620v2 @ 3.7Ghz cores
    1.5GB RAM DDR3
    60GBHDD
    1xIPv4
    10xIPv6 (More on demand)
    4TB BW/m
    100mbps port
    $10USD/m
    KVM virtualization

Let me know if that works for you!