Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need some feedback on our new informational site.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need some feedback on our new informational site.

KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
edited December 2011 in Help

So I've been working on this site off and on since we started. I never really had much time to invest into it until something happened last week that raised the priority a bit. The URL is http://drgn.biz and it's primarily an informational site so that the main site doesn't get to crowded. There is 1 main reason I have decided to make 2 separate websites:

Security. The main website includes our WHMCS install and a few static HTML pages so the less stuff on it, the less surface area to attack. I also am hosting the 2nd site remotely (Hostigation) and prefer to keep our WHMCS information in-house.

The site is powered primarily with MyBB and some custom coding, I do have LimeSurvey installed, but I will be removing that in favor or utilizing MyBB's poll feature (albeit much more limited, but it will serve it's purpose I'm sure). I will be testing the DNS failover tonight to make sure that SecureDragon.net will failover to Drgn.biz in the event our main webserver becomes unavailable so hopefully this site will be more useful than our Twitter page.

Please leave your feedback about the site so I can work on improving it. (We already have a new theme developed but will not be rolled out until later on both websites so no need to comment on the theme.)

Comments

• +1 for using dnsmadeeasy and having a backup plan to communicate with your customers even when your main site (or datacenter) are unavailable.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • bretonbreton Member
    edited December 2011

Drop one of your servers so we could check whether the status is determined correctly~

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@breton said: Drop one of your servers so we could check whether the status is determined correctly~

LoL. Unfortunately that's not an option but I can assure you it's accurate. :)

• KuJoe: SolusVM shows I'm on fire0002. 'Uptime' inside the VPS shows it's been up for 27 days. But http://drgn.biz/status/ shows only 20 days uptime for fire0002.....

edited December 2011

If you were live migrated then your uptime would transfer over even if the new node hasn't been up that long. When we replaced FIRE0001, FIRE0002, FIRE0003, and FIRE0004 all VPSs that were able to be live migrated were (some VPSs using ntpd, certain iptables modules, and other scripts that utilize the node's hardware clock could not be live migrated).

• OK, guess I was live migrated :) Thanks for that.

Another question... how does your current RSS feed carry over to drgn.biz ?

I'm currently subscribed to https://securedragon.net/announcements.php in my RSS reader. In the event of an outage (that affected me and also securedragon.net) I guess I wouldn't get updates. It would be great if there was a single status feed mirrored across both your domains.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Great idea, and nice info.

I feel I should mention that more Pokemon were added to the site...

• KairusKairus Member
    edited December 2011

@KuJoe said: I feel I should mention that more Pokemon were added to the site...

Lol I like it.

Maybe you'll consider changing your logo to:

http://static.desktopnexus.com/thumbnails/13467-bigthumbnail.jpg

edited December 2011

I was considering that... :D Charizard FTW! :)

@sleddog said: Another question... how does your current RSS feed carry over to drgn.biz ?

We originally had the announcements RSS being posted automatically on Drgn.biz but unfortunately, all of the RSS plugins turn buggy after a while and start pulling in duplicates or in the incorrect order or something annoying. As it stands now, when I post an announcement on SecureDragon.net, I am then posting a new thread on Drgn.biz with a summary and link to the announcement.

I'm currently subscribed to https://securedragon.net/announcements.php in my RSS reader. In the event of an outage (that affected me and also securedragon.net) I guess I wouldn't get updates. It would be great if there was a single status feed mirrored across both your domains.

All announcements on SecureDragon.net and all threads created in the Secure Dragon News and SD_Dev are pushed to our Twitter (@SecureDragonLLC) so following us on Twitter is probably your best bet, but you will most likely see duplicate information. During any maintenance I try to keep update posted via Twitter also but I might try to utilize Drgn.biz more now. I will put some more thought into it and try to eliminate so much overlap.

I really like using WHMCS's announcement feature but I like having the announcements in the form of a forum thread to allow discussion about them but Twitter is also nice because it's quick and easy for me to push updates during maintenance or instances where time is an issue.