Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Beginner Coder]Looking for Feedback on my Website
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Beginner Coder]Looking for Feedback on my Website

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited November 2016 in General

So I did tell you guys, I do Webdevelopment as a hobby, right? :D

Anyway I am still a beginner when it comes to hardcoding but I tried to scramble all my knowledge I have so far of programming languages and web frameworks/libs (HTML, CSS, JS, jQuery, Bootstrap) together and create an own Animelist :) Ultimately I want it to work like MyAnimeList but I have waaays to go^^
Anyway looking for feedback and what to improve. Also please TEST the site for it's functionality :P
As I learn more about Webdevelopment I plan to add a user login area, an episode counter...&much more ofc! Gimme your ideas!

Website (live version): http://web.nicos-web.com

GitHub (full source): https://github.com/NicolasLoew/webprojects/tree/master/MyAnimeList

Comments

• Why do you have a login / register function that ties to nothing?

Thanked by 2GCat Ympker
  • It's alright for starters

• For a project that's based off the bootstrap framework it's a good way to get "started."
    But you should really look into how to make your own custom sites without the help of additional frameworks. Gives you a better understanding about CSS/HTML etc. Also don't be afraid to sketch out on paper what you want a site to look like. Sometimes that's always a good method for physical representation to help you keep on track!

~ Beard

Thanked by 2GCat Ympker
  • Do you have an anime database ? If not, that's where I'd start.

I personally do :

1. database;

2. sketch;

3. html/css/js;

4. PHP (setup routes and work with the db);

5. combine the PHP with the template.

My projects are usually small. I use Silex (PHP Framework) with Twig for templating (makes it easy for step 5).

Themes for bootstrap : https://bootswatch.com

Color schemes : https://coolors.co

Starting point : http://www.initializr.com

Try not to use Bootstrap's components for now and don't focus much on the colors/borders etc ... Keep it simple.

Good luck!

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Good start keep going! :)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • VitaVita Member
    edited November 2016

It's good to be a beginner at "hardcoding". :)

P.s. avoid it ;)

• So much nice feedback :)
    Thanks guys! This is awesome!
    Scratching out my layout on paper sounds fun tbh xD Will do that some time for sure!

@AlyssaD said:
    Why do you have a login / register function that ties to nothing?

Because I tried to put as much of my knowledge in this as I can. For now it doesnt matter that the login function has no other function than the mere feature to login itself.
    As I havent learned about using MySQL and PHP for now this is about as much as I can achieve (register + login). Obviously it only works with browser cache so if you used inkognito mode it will be all cleared the next time you open your browser.

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

It's quite good as for beginner, keep going ;) However there are some small design details I recommend to fix. And as you know from Steve (I think you got it, but if not - Steve Jobs) all small details matter. For example tabs when hover are really light and blend in with text. White top border of table also does not look good.

It's always good to take the brake after you are done and after it recheck website for all small details :)

• edited November 2016

Good for starters.

• Minify your CSS and JS if you can.
    • Your tabs are unreadable when hovered on. It's sad that Bootstrap 3 is in LESS and not SASS, but try learning SASS and work on Bootstrap 4 with support for SASS for the recolors.
    • Clicking "Cancel" on the first prompt box at Login will still ask for a password. It should exit if a user picks Cancel.
    • Standardize your indention size. Some are indented at two spaces, others at one. Stick to a size and use it throughout your code.

Those are all at the top of my head. Won't comment on the font choice since it's a personal preference anyway.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • It's the best way to learn. The nice thing about learning client-side stuff is that you can look at how every other website and deconstruct what they're doing.

Thanked by 2Ympker netomx
  • A bit of work needs to be done on the login system: I just registered with a blank username and blank password.

Validation can't hurt? ;)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Thanks for all the feedback yet again! :) For all those that are wondering what happened to the website: I have uploaded another of my projects (a Patatap clone) for testing purposes^^ The GitHub link is still active though :)

• Maybe you could host your projects in subfolders so you don't have to overwrite everything :)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Looks good.
    Great start.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @dodedodo said:
    Maybe you could host your projects in subfolders so you don't have to overwrite everything :)

Good idea mate :) Thanks!

@perryoo11 said:
    Looks good.
    Great start.

Thanks for the feedback Sir :)