Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Large RAM openvz providers that let you malloc() upto plan limit
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Large RAM openvz providers that let you malloc() upto plan limit

vimalwarevimalware Member
edited November 2016 in Requests

Setting aside well-provisioned providers like Ramnode and liteserver.nl,

How is everyone's experience with various established hosts (3yrs minimum) for 2GB-8gb openvz plans?

In particular, I'd like to know about these few openvz sellers

Time4vps

SSDnodes

Prometeus openvz

Any others, feedback welcome from users who have actually used ram-heavy workloads on these 2GB + openvz plans.

Personally, I prefer KVM, but sometimes I have to recommend something ridiculous on a budget.

Edit: think of this as more of a 'name and shame' for openvz providers who do dodgy things when you try to use plan resources, (aside from cpu, of course) .

Comments

• Not openvz, but might fit your bill: wishosting.com kvm hdd plan at 6gb ram for 6usd/month

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • unless specified otherwise you should be allowed to use 100% of the disk and ram allocated to your vps.

Even though iniz is not on your list, I've been with em for 4 years now and I can vouch, they are simply awesome for ram heavy workloads.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2016

Phoenix or UK of any use? you are very welcome to use 100% of the ram 100% of the time:

Phoenix: https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?gid=26

UK: https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?gid=22

1 - 6GB plans, I could do an 8 on the same price scale if required.

If KVM does turn out the be of more interest the following offers are available right now also:

PHOENIX

UK discount for first 3 months.

Thanked by 2vimalware yomero
  • For the purposes of this survey, I'm biased towards owned-hardware sellers.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

See, most providers using openvz uses so because of ease of overselling. Which is why they are cheaper. Not because it's OVZ, but because of overselling.

• I tried overzoldby prometeus and i had good experience. My app is eating at least 3gb

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • I signed up aroundb2 weeks ago with inception. Performance is snappy

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @jcaleb said:
    I tried overzoldby prometeus and i had good experience. My app is eating at least 3gb

Always a safe bet. This (professional ssd) seems to be the latest avatar of that lineup : http://www.prometeus.net/site/vps.php

• @vimalware said:

@jcaleb said:
    I tried overzoldby prometeus and i had good experience. My app is eating at least 3gb

Always a safe bet. This (professional ssd) seems to be the latest avatar of that lineup : http://www.prometeus.net/site/vps.php

It doesnt feel that snappy though. But it is ok, depending on use case. Mao I think always advice not to use itfor production but I did.

• Prometeus usually dont have stock. My advice, try inception for a month. I am with them on ovz, it feels snappy. So go test ityourself if you will come to same conclusion. Then if happy go for yearly to get discount. Plus I dont think Ants will go anywhere in the near future.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Clouvider said:
    See, most providers using openvz uses so because of ease of overselling. Which is why they are cheaper. Not because it's OVZ, but because of overselling.

Which is fine because the only way it becomes a problem is if everyone on a node joins together to maliciously attempt to OOM the box. I'd bet everything I own on the idea that they cannot do so without coordination and malicious intent on a responsibly oversold node.

Thanked by 2vimalware Clouvider
  • The "50offuk3mo" promo code shows up as "50offuk3mo - 50% Recurring Discount" at checkout. Is it really recurring or does it end after 3 months as the code name suggests?

• Direvps let me use the whole 4gb and all cpu for a whole month when i signed up with them. It is ok, but doesnt feel fast. I think no secret that its oversold so much

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

ucxo said: The "50offuk3mo" promo code shows up as "50offuk3mo - 50% Recurring Discount" at checkout. Is it really recurring or does it end after 3 months as the code name suggests?

Sorry bad use of the image, it is 3 months.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2016

@jarland said:

@Clouvider said:

Which is fine because the only way it becomes a problem is if everyone on a node joins together to maliciously attempt to OOM the box. I'd bet everything I own on the idea that they cannot do so without coordination and malicious intent on a responsibly oversold node.

Did not imply it's wrong. Merely that no one will be in position to technically guarantee ability to allocate all visible memory when overselling even a little with OpenVZ.

• @Clouvider said:

@jarland said:

@Clouvider said:

Did not imply it's wrong. Merely that no one will be in position to technically guarantee ability to allocate all visible memory when overselling even a little with OpenVZ.

Does KSM work with OpenVZ? - If so provider will same some memory that way, at expense of CPU.