Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Home Server Recommendations
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Home Server Recommendations

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some suggestions for a motherboard & CPU to replace one of my aging home servers. The machine is running an older AMD Hex Core CPU and MSI motherboard, both serve my needs well enough but as of late the old girl has been running into a lot of issues with the system locking up.

Here are my desires/requirements

• Intel CPU
  • Any motherboard (Huge plus it has IPMI, but I am not holding my breathe)
  • Cheap (I don't want to spend too much)
  • Supports 32GB of RAM
  • It doesn't need to be new (Refurb, Ebay, etc. all fine)
  • Needs to support either PCI Express 8x Port OR 8x SATAII/III Ports
  • Support 8x 3.5" Drives (I already have a chassis, PSU, etc. - noting in case a rack mount is recommended)
  • The system will be running Windows Server
  • Power Efficient (Needs to downclock well and conserve power ~14 hours a day)
  • It doesn't need to be quiet, but I don't want a space shuttle taking off either

Thanks guys!

Comments

• if you already have the chassis you will find in ebay start from 50$

• @cociu said:
    if you already have the chassis you will find in ebay start from 50$

Thank you, but that really doesn't help me at all.

I am looking for actual hardware suggestions.

• Go for a G3258 and overclock it to around 4.4Ghz and you got a 4790k single threaded wise (same single thread performance).

• IHaveADarkPassenger said: The machine is running an older AMD Hex Core CPU and MSI motherboard, both serve my needs well enough but as of late the old girl has been running into a lot of issues with the system locking up.

Fix the reason for the lockup.

I know, you were looking forward to a new toy, and this is a good excuse. :)

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • @Ole_Juul said:

IHaveADarkPassenger said: The machine is running an older AMD Hex Core CPU and MSI motherboard, both serve my needs well enough but as of late the old girl has been running into a lot of issues with the system locking up.

Fix the reason for the lockup.

I know, you were looking forward to a new toy, and this is a good excuse. :)

Unfortunately it's the motherboard, hence why I am looking to replace the whole setup.

The AMD CPU also does a poor job with Plex, it takes all 6 cores to stream a 720p TV show as of late...a lot of complaints on the Plex forums about it too.

It also uses an Nvidia chipset which hasn't had a driver update in a very long time and is likely part of my issues with the system locking up..poor compatibility with the newer versions if Windows.

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions, much appreciated!

• Depends how much CPU you need,

I use a Asrock C2750-D4I but if you want to stream plex you may find the CPU doesn't have enough grunt, in my case most of my devices can direct play and even when transcoding is needed it's unlikely my server will be serving more than a single stream so I can get away with it. (Also my server is remote)

This is running on Proxmox with the Plex server in one VM and the storage server in another!

• @dragon2611 said:
    Depends how much CPU you need,

I use a Asrock C2750-D4I but if you want to stream plex you may find the CPU doesn't have enough grunt, in my case most of my devices can direct play and even when transcoding is needed it's unlikely my server will be serving more than a single stream so I can get away with it. (Also my server is remote)

This is running on Proxmox with the Plex server in one VM and the storage server in another!

Thanks! I find it rather amazing how expensive those Atoms are these days.

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited November 2016

@IHaveADarkPassenger Yes quite pricy for an Atom, but I needed the sata ports, so it was either that or go for a raid/hba card.

Finding an ITX server board with the right amount of I/O and IPMI wasn't that easy and the number of sata ports was why I went for the ASrockRack board over a supermicro, I didn't want fancy raid or anything just for it to present the drives as JBOD.

Also having IPMI with full KVMoIP functionality (Including virtual media) has saved me a trip on at least a couple occasions

Using it an a Silverstone DS380 case