Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runnin WP site on 256 or 512 MB RAM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Runnin WP site on 256 or 512 MB RAM

netbearnetbear Member
edited December 2011 in General

Hi every1. I am new to VPS hosting & i want to move one of the blog hosted on free blogger platform to a selfhosted Wordpress.

Currently the blog receives around 25k-30k/ day visitors with 75k page views /day.I have designed a minimalistic WP & will be installing it.The blog will be updated once every 2 days.

Could you tell me whether to go with 256 MB or 512 MB RAM?

Comments

• Are you running any caches, or just a straight WP installation>

• I'm not really sure but i think 256mb should be enough if u tune it decently (nginx, caching plugins for wordpress, etc)

Did you check that the free blogger platform lets you make a backup of the database?

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Well, it also depends on what webserver you will be using,
    If you use apache you'll need more than 512 MB RAM if you get so many hits,

and as @Damian4IPXcore asked, are you using any caching plugins or memcache(d) ?

and which OS will you use ?

All these factors make huge differences in VPS's.

• Why not start of with 256MB and upgrade if needed?

• @qenox said: Why not start of with 256MB and upgrade if needed?

This is a good point actually. If 256 isn't enough, just ask your provider for an upgrade to the 512 package. This would also be a good test to see how flexible and how willing-to-serve-you your provider is.

• I also agree with the two above or you could split it in the middle.
    get 372MB instead of 256MB or 512MB.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I'd go with 256, if you use the right software and config that should handle it just fine, after all as others have pointed out you should be able to upgrade.

• As said earlier, this is a new WP installation on a new VPS

@Damian4IPXcore said: Are you running any caches, or just a straight WP installation

I plan to use a caching plugin

@SpeedBus said: Well, it also depends on what webserver you will be using,If you use apache you'll need more than 512 MB RAM if you get so many hits,and as @Damian4IPXcore asked, are you using any caching plugins or memcache(d) ?and which OS will you use ?All these factors make huge differences in VPS's.

The VPS provider says they will install CentOS 5.X / Debian / Ubuntu & I also plan to install nginx for webserver, as many recommend it for speed

@EaseVPS said: I also agree with the two above or you could split it in the middle.

This also sounds good as the VPS providers also has a 384 MB RAM box too.May be i could try it initially & see how it goes

@netbear : Seems to be good, I prefer CentOS, but Debian uses less RAM, so you could use that, and nginx works great, try the 384 MB RAM Plan, it should work well, with the caching plugin.

• @SpeedBus said: Seems to be good, I prefer CentOS, but Debian uses less RAM, so you could use that, and nginx works great, try the 384 MB RAM Plan, it should work well, with the caching plugin.

Thanks, how much webspace would this config (nginx,Debian,VZ panel,MYSQL,WP files) consume you think? Would 10GB of space be enough?

• @netbear said: Thanks, how much webspace would this config (nginx,Debian,VZ panel,MYSQL,WP files) consume you think? Would 10GB of space be enough?

Yes more than enough.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@netbear said: VZ panel

Elaborate on that please.

@netbear : The OS will take 1.5 GB at max, unless you update everyday. Wordpress = 400 KB ? and your database, You'll end up using about 3 - 4 GB once you have installed all the software required. With a good 6 - 7 GB Left for storing the growing database :)

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Did you check that the free blogger platform lets you make a backup of the database?

If the free blogging platform in question is wordpress.com, then the answer is no although you can export out the content. Be sure to clear out your spam queue though before doing so. We (meaning both wp.com as well as the wpmu sites we host) had a lot of problems with that as those spam comments come along with an export and that will easily quadruple if not more the size of the export.

There are though a couple thousand wordpress multiuser installs out there though that operate as free blogging sites.

• VZ cpanel - its Virtuozzo control panel

@ztec said: Yes more than enough.

Gr8.thanks for comment

@SpeedBus said: The OS will take 1.5 GB at max, unless you update everyday. Wordpress = 400 KB ? and your

Thanks again

Now things seem to be clear to me.

• @SpeedBus said: With a good 6 - 7 GB Left for storing the growing database :)

The database won't use that space. Your uploaded files maybe.

Wordpress uses like 10 MB.
    And the OS, in Debian, again, I can shrink up to 350MB for all the php/mysql platform. (presumptuous mode, lol).

• @yomero said: Wordpress uses like 10 MB.

File caching will add to that total as well although no extreme amounts.

@yomero said: The database won't use that space.

I've seen a couple databases at about a half gig in size. That's why I mentioned the spam queue clearing as that's usually the cause.

• @drmike said: That's why I mentioned the spam queue clearing as that's usually the cause.

Yeah, but still won't use gigs of space, and, in an active blog I guess you will clear that spam :P (probably there is a plugin to auto clean? )

• @yomero said: probably there is a plugin to auto clean?

I believe the software itself autocleans after 15 days. Of maybe it's Akismet/Typepad that does it. I do recall an autoclean.

I've seen some very large exports over the years. Also some DDoS attacks where the botnetwork just spams a site and you wind up with thousands of comments in the queue.

• @EaseVPS said: I also agree with the two above or you could split it in the middle.

Did you use Google to perform that complex arithmetric calculation? If so you'd better double-check with Yahoo or Bing. :)

• Sensible thing to do is to start of with 512MB monitor the RAM usage then reduce the server spec if you are not using all the RAM.
    The time wasted finding out why things are not working properly must be worth more to you and your users, than the few dollars saved from going cheap first time around. I get the impression that a lot of LEB users don't put a hard cash value on their time.

• @sleddog said: Did you use Google to perform that complex arithmetric calculation? If so you'd better double-check with Yahoo or Bing. :)

LOLz! 384

• 128 MB is fine for wordpress if you set it up properly :)
    Have a look at my scripts, they can help!

• Does choice of Linux OS affect the performance? My provider says they can install only CentOS & dont have Debian template?Will it affect the performance of the box?

Can I install Debian linux myself after getting the box or only the provider can install it.

If you get a VPS control panel (SolusVM) then you can install any OS (which the provider offers), If your provider does not offer Debian.. well, there's nothing much you can do, CentOS is not that bad..

• @SpeedBus said: If your provider does not offer Debian..

If you can't find Debian, what else will you soon not find? I hope this provider had a really nice deal!

• @netbear said: My provider says they can install only CentOS & dont have Debian template?Will it affect the performance of the box?

What provider is this? And no, performance will be the same.

• 256MB should work out just fine for you, however although you can fine-tune your RAM usage, you can't do much about the disk speeds.
    Your main concern should really be the CPU/Disk speeds, as they'll be the bottleneck with a dynamic, database powered site on a LEB.

• I don't think 256MB will cut it. Considering that you have 25-30k visitors per day and around 75k of page views, I'm pretty sure you're not just serving text jokes and small icons on your site, which means you're probably loading some images, videos or music as well. Regardless if they are hosted somewhere else, you'd also have to consider the plugins you'll need for keeping a wordpress blog working properly, unless you want to do everything manually. You'll probably need daily backups, spam control, and visitor tracking, and those plugins will surely eat a bit more slice off your RAM than necessary. Not to mention space, and you'll probably need what the people here suggested, more than 10GB. I think for a heavy traffic site, 1GB to 2GB of RAM is more than enough, especially if you count the sudden spikes in memory coming from rogue plugins.

• @Paul said: I'm pretty sure you're not just serving text jokes and small icons on your site, which means you're probably loading some images, videos or music as well

static files. That doesn't use RAM.