Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I get a better deal than this?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can I get a better deal than this?

adrockadrock Member
edited April 2013 in General

I currently have a seedbox which i believe is a shared dedicated server. I get 300GB storage, 9TB traffic a month, and it just runs rtorrent and rutorrent. It costs me $34 a month.

Now my typical traffic is only around 1TB a month, and i figured it might be cheaper to 'roll my own' as it were. Does anyone know of any plans, VPS or even low end dedicated boxes which come in around that price with hosters who are happy/comfortable with that sort of use? I'm aware my usage is pretty low, i'm on that particular plan for the storage rather than the bandwidth or other system resources. apart from the disk space it's a bit overkill. In theory if i had my own i could migrate odds and ends off my current VPSes, but as they're all low end annual plans it's not really part of my considerations.

Comments

• wdqwdq Member

I have heard of many people using BuyVM for a seedbox host. They have a 256MB/250GB/2.5TB KVM plan under their KVM/storage section.

• I honestly would ask them, for instance we at www.gaugedhosting.com do not block torrenting as long as it does not affect the servers overall performance but there are many who will shut you down or limit your bandwidth if you use too much.

• You are downloading torrents, or seeding?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

9TB is a lot of traffic for $34/m. Unless the network isn't that good, then I'd say you can easily find a better deal.

• ill get a pony storage for this. its kvm and lots of disk space

• @jcaleb said: ill get a pony storage for this. its kvm and lots of disk space

And cheaper some more.

• Kimsufi 2G?

• IvanIvan Member

Check out some of these Kimsufi plans, they're great for using as seedboxes. http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/kimsufi.xml

• @superpilesos said: Kimsufi 2G?

yeah, all io for yourself only. no sharing

• As a fellow seedbox user, I can vouch for Kimsufi. I've been with them for more than a year and you really get your money's worth. It also helps that a lot of the seedboxes on private trackers and such are from OVH, so the connectivity is great. I'm mostly using it for archiving purposes nowadays, but I used to seed a lot on it and the speeds were great.

Not long ago, I was exploring the possibility of getting a VPS plan with less RAM and a larger hard drive than the Kimsufi offers, but ultimately wasn't able to find anything for the same price. I'm still keeping my eye open, so if anybody can match the Kimsufi offer I'm all up for it.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Chronic said: anybody can match the Kimsufi offer

Highly unlikely, Hetzner might do, but their network is not so great.

• @adrock - You are getting ripped off and you are probably paying for an ovh / kimsufi shared dedicated that retails for $20 USD with 1 TB of disk space.

• @Chronic said: It also helps that a lot of the seedboxes on private trackers and such are from OVH, so the connectivity is great.

Yeah, this is really the best part

• adrockadrock Member
    edited April 2013

@rds100 said: You are downloading torrents, or seeding?

both, but not in vast quantities. tends to be a sudden spike in activity every so often e.g. yesterday i did ~10GB down, 40GB up, but that's the first activity on it in a week.

@jcaleb said: ill get a pony storage for this. its kvm and lots of disk space

do you have a link for pony storage. my google-fu is weak and i'm just getting equestrian transportation and housing.

@superpilesos said: Kimsufi 2G?
    @teohkay said: Check out some of these Kimsufi plans, they're great for using as seedboxes.

They look pretty good for the price. I see their servers with 200Mbps or 300Mbps are significantly more, is that a common thing? The one i mentioned in the OP is 300Mbps which I hit in my peaks of activity, albeit very briefly. In the example above of traffic yesterday, my download speed was 30-32MB/s, but waiting longer wouldn't be a killer as anything i'm in a rush for would still need to come down my ~15Mbps home connection.

I take it it's a case of picking distro of choice, install rtorrent and rutorrent (did deluge get any better in the last few years?) and away i go? I've not configured them myself before, but i suspect i can copy a lot of config elements from the seedbox i use currently.

lastly, out of curiosity, has anyone ever come across a seedbox-specific distro or liveCD?

• blergh_blergh_ Member
    edited April 2013

@adrock
    BuyVM's storage = Pony

As for Kimsufi, you get what you pay for. But if your plan is to only use it for seeding and downloading then it will do.

There are no seedbox-specific distro, but what you can do is use say Debian with some minor filesystem-tweaks. There are autofetch-scripts for irssi that work on basically any distro.

• I think I'll probably dummy the software up on a debian VM this weekend and see where i get to.

pardon my ignorance, but where does irssi come into it?

• that does look pretty nifty, thanks.

• @adrock

There's plenty of automation scripts available for SeedBoxes, I personally use this one on my Kimsufi 2G.

• I think I installed Deluge, it was a much nicer install than rTorrent was, has it's own repos too. :)

• @ElliotJ
    It's the same script as the one i linked above.

@eastonch
    Deluge is a memory hog, PoS

• @Blergh_ The Kimsufi runs a few low-traffic websites, Deluge has been alright for me so far.

• I use https://www.seednet.eu/ for a torrent box (they have a VPS plan)

£17.99 for unlimited BW 230GB and split it with a friend. Its a bit of an overkill but it works well.

• Any location preferences?

• IvanIvan Member

Hmm, if I want to use Kimsufi for some light-once-in-a-while seeding and run it as a web server, would it be alright? How much daily & monthly traffic is Kimsufi able to handle? Just asking.

• @teohkay said: Hmm, if I want to use Kimsufi for some light-once-in-a-while seeding and run it as a web server, would it be alright?

Depends on what server you get but yes.

@teohkay said: How much daily & monthly traffic is Kimsufi able to handle?

Um... I believe you get 10TB of bandwidth per month? Honestly don't worry about it unless you are planning on using the entire 10TB.

• IvanIvan Member

@HalfEatenPie
    Right. Thanks, I'm planning on getting the mKS 2G in the "near" future as a starter dedi server. But I also might consider BuyVM since Francisco once mentioned torrents are allowed. I feel like Kimsufi has more "bang for the buck", but I'm just getting some opinions here.