Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Register.com scammers!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Register.com scammers!

DrukpaDrukpa Member
edited April 2013 in General

I have a domain at register.com and now I want to transfer it to another registrar. Tried to obtain the auth code, received a mail saying I have to call them. I called them and their system says the wait time is 24 minutes. That's 24 minutes of International call charge. I am not from the US/Canada.

These ******** are scammers! Nowhere have I seen that we have to call the registrar to get the EPP code.

Renewal charges for a .com domain seems $38!!

Anyone experienced the same?

To anyone who is trying to buy something from register.com, save yourself the headache and buy it from somewhere else.

Comments

• That is horrible, have you tried using maybe a Google Mail account to call? Not sure if that is limited to US/Canada users only.

However, please let us know if you do get that EPP code, I do have a domain with them and was actually wondering that myself.

Don't give these guys your phone number either, you will receive many, many, many calls. :D Pretty sure it's in their ToS/AUP that they release client information to third parties.

• @Drukpa said: These ******** are scammers! Nowhere have I seen that we have to call the registrar to get the EPP code.

You probably should have read their terms of service, which states:

Authorization Code
    To transfer a .com, .net, .biz, .info, .name, .org, or .us domain name you will need an
    authorization code. An authorization code is a unique code assigned by registrars to
    .com, .net, .biz, .us, .info, .name, and .org domain names at the time of registration. 
    To obtain the authorization code for your domain, contact Register.com at one of the
    following numbers:
    ● Toll free within the U.S. and Canada: (877) 866-0045.
    ● Outside the U.S. and Canada: (902) 749-2056.

Not sure how they're scammers for not being able to read their TOS....

• Annoyingly difficult yes, scam not so much.

Terrible registrar is terrible, what did you expect?

• That's what happens to CheapStakes.

They attract a lot of cheapstakes by providing domains at such low rates, most of them forget about the crazy renewal price they ask after a year. :|

• You can call the usa free number from skype if you live anywhere

• DrukpaDrukpa Member
    edited April 2013

@superpilesos said: You can call the usa free number from skype if you live anywhere

Thanks for your helpful suggestion. I called using Skype and got the auth code fairly easy, after waiting 25 minutes. Add 10 minutes more if your native language is not english and if your domain contains some hard to pronounce words.

I wonder why they take the trouble to annoy people when they could have just given users the feature to see/change the code themselves from their panel, after all I don't see any useful feature this phone call givers in terms of security.

@Damian I didn't think I had to read their TOS for a very common task as buying a domain. Do you spend 30 minutes reading every TOS of everything service that you buy/subscribe to?

• @Drukpa said: Do you spend 30 minutes reading every TOS of everything service that you buy/subscribe to?

Usually; I don't like surprises.

Additionally, it rarely ever takes me 30 minutes to read such a document, so if your reading comprehension isn't high enough to skim over a document, you can send it to me and i'll let you know if there's anything scary in it.

• xNEOxNEO Member

They make troubles to keep you stay.

• BTW, how much was your initial registration?

• @Damian said: Additionally, it rarely ever takes me 30 minutes to read such a document, so if your reading comprehension isn't high enough to skim over a document, you can send it to me and i'll let you know if there's anything scary in it.

If you are to skim over a document, whats the point in reading it. You have a high probability of missing out important things, after all, they use the TOS to take advantage of lazy users. They will go out of their way to make it hard to find important information in the TOS too, so that users will miss those parts if they skim over the document. Tricks of lousy businesses!

• @Damian said: BTW, how much was your initial registration?

It is not my domain. I was asked to transfer it by a client. I don't know how much he paid. He probably paid more than $10. He's not the kind of guy who's a cheapskate, and not computer savvy too. He must have landed there through some advertisement or something.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@Drukpa

Use Skype :D It's a toll free number.

• They caught me in a special $1 deal last year and it came to renewal and they charged me $38 even though I removed auto renewal.

I had them call me from America and I got a refund on my renewal fee. ;)

Shoot them an email if you want a refund - you'll lose the domain though.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2013

Throwing out the 'scam card' because you did not read their terms before buying from them is just ignorant, it is a free market you could have bought it from anyone if you did not like their terms.