Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MySQL as a service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MySQL as a service

Hi,

Are there any good LET providers that provide MySQL as a service? I know VPSdime does, but any other good ones out here?

Of course, there is AWS RDS, but I hate having my $$ go to AWS when it can be used to support a small business.

Thanks,
-Adam

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited October 2016

"Even metadata is encrypted"

Thanked by 4joeri rm_ Unixfy netomx
  • What exact specs of mysql db you need? Any specific database service like mariadb? What is your budget? Why not to get simple shared hosting with enough resources dedicated on DB?

• WildFired said: What exact specs of mysql db you need? Any specific database service like mariadb? What is your budget? Why not to get simple shared hosting with enough resources dedicated on DB?

I don't have strict budget right now. I m just trying to get a sense of what is out there. I suppose I could get shared hosting account that has a mysql DB, but most of the shared I have looked into don't allow remote connections into their DB instances. (perhaps I am wrong here, does anyone know of a good shared acount that does not mind an external vps connecting?)

If I am going to suggest more details, here is my wishlist:

[1] between 15-30 a year (which is about what my vps's cost)
    [2] east coast near to Florida
    [3] automated backups.

• adamMc said: (perhaps I am wrong here, does anyone know of a good shared acount that does not mind an external vps connecting?)

Anyone using cpanel?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

adamMc said: I don't have strict budget right now. I m just trying to get a sense of what is out there. I suppose I could get shared hosting account that has a mysql DB, but most of the shared I have looked into don't allow remote connections into their DB instances. (perhaps I am wrong here, does anyone know of a good shared acount that does not mind an external vps connecting?)

For $15/yr (plus I think $1/mo for offloaded SQL) you can get a BuyVM VPS and they do allow remote on their MySQL under a "just don't be a jerk" policy.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Get a Buyshared account and use it for mysql only, just edit the remote setting to allow your server's ip. For $15/y, you get 20GB.

Thanked by 1netomx