Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some question about OverZold
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Some question about OverZold

johnlth93johnlth93 Member
edited April 2013 in General

I wanted to know if it's an ideal move to setup a production web server on overzold
As they said themselves, they are overcommiting the resources
Will that be any sort of set back? Like performance issue/downtime/etc

Comments

• Well, its all dependent on your definition of production.

They beauty of OpenVZ is that your resources are there when you need it, and when not needed are allocated to someone else. There's a major difference between overselling and overloading. I personally have not used Oversold VPS (nor would I really purchase one), but from knowing Prometeus I'm sure the quality of the Overzold node would be great. Now the resources would be there if you need it, but you won't be able to use it all the time.

That being said, depending on the your production web server as long as it doesn't take up too much resources for a long period of time I'm sure its perfectly fine.

• As they said themselves, they are overcommiting the resources

Their definition of "overcommitted" would be considered "undercommitted" by 90% of other openvz hosts. :) There hasn't been any performance degradation or downtime on my Overzold VPS since I got it 3 weeks ago. By contrast I have a 3GB ChicagoVPS in Atlanta and the iopings have dropped from near 10000 to under 2000 since I got it and it rebooted twice last week.

• just do it dude

• I'm using it for hosting my blog. But maybe in the future I will reinstall it and use it for giving free hosting for my friend. :)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Time will tell, so far nodes are ok.
    We had two different reboot, one last week and one today on different servers, for both down was 5-10 minutes

We see some reboot random on every .32 kernel. This is one of the reason some provider are stuck with .18 kernels.

• only time will tell then hmm

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2013

@DomainBop said: Their definition of "overcommitted" would be considered "undercommitted" by 90% of other openvz hosts. :)

Indeed... Actually, Overzold is now overcommited more than 2 times, but:
    load average: 0.93, 1.37, 1.30 on a 24 logical cores server
    Mem: 65778244k total, 39806252k used, 25971992k free, 4878640k buffers
    [root@pm38 ~]# free -m
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 64236 38933 25302 0 4764 20256
    -/+ buffers/cache: 13912 50324
    Swap: 32255 0 32255

One of the lower mem servers, full...
    The spurious reboots are plaguing all OVZ we have (all have .32 kernel) but it is more likely on servers with more VPSes because I believe there are certain apps that trigger it in certain conditions, therefore, the more threads, the more likely a reboot.
    This is why our Biz servers have 16 GB ram, the fewer VPses there the less chances for a lock-up, however, we did have reboot on pm18, even so...
    others have almost 200 days uptime, impressive for OVZ with .32