Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chicago, Buffalo, or Los Angeles? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Chicago, Buffalo, or Los Angeles?

Comments

• Kris, not quite.

• @Kris said: Probably about just as well as Level 3 support in a VPS company that has all eggs in a basket at ColoCrossing... Flawlessly.

Ha. I still don't understand who you thought I was trying to defend.

• KrisKris Member
    edited April 2013

@Microlinux said: Ha. I still don't understand who you thought I was trying to defend.

No one. I can imagine that's one hell of a hard job by the way you mentioned it. The week with a network switch issue after the "IPv6" router upgrade was pure hell. If I could handle that (and knew telco / TDM) then the stress level wouldn't get to me based on my experience handling the support tickets then.

I worked at what I thought was one of the worst providers.. but even they didn't drop Level3 all together and start adding every which network but quality.

@Francisco - Only get Level3 routes when the origin / destination is L3 single homed. If it can take a cheaper way, it will... i.e: Backhauling Colorado to SJ, to cross the country again.

• @Kris what is the port of arguing with Chris or about this matter? I think it's well known what's happening and what's happened. You won't change anything either way.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Kris said: The week with a network switch issue after the "IPv6" router upgrade was pure hell.

When was this? I know I had a multi hour outage in January that I'm fairly sure is because they changed around carriers and forgot to get my subnets added to upstream prefix lists.

They told me it was because our BGP session got dampened from dropping routes so much. I pulled uptime stats on my session, though, and it showed that everything had been fine and dandy for the whole month w/o a single drop.

I never dug for more info, though, and was just happy that Alex got it resolved within an hour.

Francisco

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Because @Kris is as stubborn as @Cvps_chris ?

• KrisKris Member

@concerto49 said: @Kris what is the port of arguing with Chris or about this matter? I think it's well known what's happening and what's happened. You won't change anything either way.

I just had a problem when he called me out (under his other username mikehighend... confirmed last year via IP logs) about ColoCrossing's "premium" network. He started the personal attacks.

Any provider / user knows Buffalo's network quality, and what's truly going on behind the scenes. I decided to say nothing, Chris is defending Buffalo as a stellar network.

70 ticket replies in one day, most having to due with 'slow loading websites' or 'network issues' point to - it not just being me.

I didn't start any of this, Chris just popped up on his alt. username and decided to start the personal attacks.

When I was dealing with the issues first hand, it's hard to hear "great blend of network, we've seen no issues"

I guess this is why Jon needs to keep him on a leash, on the ice, and off the computer. Nothing good can come out of Chris being online.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2013

@Mikho,

Not stubborn, just trying to correct his misguided opinions ;)

@Kris said: I just had a problem when he called me out (under his other username mikehighend... confirmed last year via IP logs)

I only have one account, once again hes incorrect. Who has me on a leash, are you retarded or have an anger problem? Nothing you have said in this thread about me is true. Not even close.

• KrisKris Member
    edited April 2013

@Francisco said: When was this? I know I had a multi hour outage in January that I'm fairly sure is because they changed around carriers and forgot to get my subnets added to upstream prefix lists.

Worst network issues were end of December / January, end of January to be precise.

Network issues / dropped connections. Then the day when they played with routing (pubcrawler and I were talking in a thread) - Where it went TATA -> Telia -> TATA and finally Telia via TATA.

That was the day they back-hauled bandwidth to route through SJ / Palo Alto (and couldn't figure out how) resulting in some laughable routing.

It was a mess, their network mix is more like musical chairs. I've never seen the mixes / routes change so often, and from what I've seen, on not only an even-odd, but by /24 in some instances.

EDIT: The "optimized" routing was end of January - just a few weeks ago their "IPv6" switches were installed resulting in downtime. The network issue started then, guessing they used a bad wire when linking us up. Wish they would have checked instead of fighting every which way to not check their hardware.

• KrisKris Member

@MikHo said: Because @Kris is as stubborn as @Cvps_chris ?

Because I don't like a bullshitter defending one of the worst data centers I've dealt with due to screwing with their network ?

They both brought up the personal attacks, from working at a company with 7 nodes in Buffalo, I've seen my fair share of constant network issues / customers asking to move locations due to the slow connections.

Hard to defend your server / network when GTMetrix / 3 other sites are sent to you showing a simple CMS page was taking 8-10 seconds to load.

I'm not here for any personal vendettas, Chris started that - but I would like the lack of transparency on their network addressed.

@CVPS_Chris
    Just messing around :)

@Kris
    You made your point and chris doesn't care.
    Wheres my "beating dead horse" image when i need it

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@Mikho,

Where is the Thank button, much needed :)

@CVPS_Chris
    I'll settle for a $40/year with included cPanel :)

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Hi Everyone,

ColoCrossing has consistently reinvested in our products and services. Over the past few months we have added multiple transit providers to the Buffalo network; and we will continue to do so. We welcome any and all intelligent discussion about our service and will actively work to resolve and improve any routing issues.

There is a significant cost to operate a network with multiple (in our case, 4) transit providers. It would be cheaper for us if we simply increased our usage over 1 or 2 carriers. Instead of choosing that path we've opted for more diversity and redundancy by adding separate carriers.

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that we've considered adding CenturyLink (Savvis). The conversation I had with Fran about that topic took place before we added both XO and Cogent, so our intent is clear. In this case both XO and Cogent were able to deploy our 10ge circuits much faster than CenturyLink, which at this pace probably won't be done for another few months. For the record, we do not utilize any sort of preferential routing on a per customer basis; all customers should share identical routing/performance experiences. The only exception to this which I can remember is with BuyVM when their prefixes weren't being properly accepted by two of our carriers due to a bug in RADB. That's long since been corrected.

HVH had a few machines experience network issues in Buffalo a few weeks ago when a single access layer switch was replaced in the cabinet housing their servers. The issue ended up being dust in the optic on 1 of the 2 10ge uplinks to that cabinet. The little bit of dust created input drops and resulted in the issue Kris speaks about. The issue was confined to a single cabinet. These sorts of things stink when they happen, but they happen. We worked as quickly as possible, in a professional manner, to address and resolve the problem.

As for Kris specifically, your actions as a representative of HVH have been absolutely deplorable. The nasty and juvenile things which you've said to my staff via the support system and instant messenger have made me sick to my stomach. I am glad that you are no longer with HVH and I will not share any discussion or discourse with you now or in the future. It never pays to be a prick, especially the malicious type you displayed with us over and over.

If anyone else wants to discuss things further I invite you to contact me via email (jbiloh-at-colocrossing.com) and I will be more than happy to chat. Thanks guys :)

PS: We moved Portal to a brand new web cluster. It's much faster now. Update your DNS and you won't see that "we've moved" page anymore.

Jon

• @jbiloh great to finally see you here to attend to the -drama- fun.

• KrisKris Member
    edited April 2013

@jbiloh said: As for Kris specifically, your actions as a representative of HVH have been absolutely deplorable. The nasty and juvenile things which you've said to my staff via the support system and instant messenger have made me sick to my stomach. I am glad that you are no longer with HVH and I will not share any discussion or discourse with you now or in the future. It never pays to be a prick, especially the malicious type you displayed with us over and over.

Sorry it took us threatening to not order any more servers for you to actually respond. First time I've heard such a detailed response. I didn't think "network uplink issue" sounded correct. A poorly run data center with dust in the cabinets makes more sense.

@jbiloh said: HVH had a few machines experience network issues in Buffalo a few weeks ago when a single access layer switch was replaced in the cabinet housing their servers. The issue ended up being dust in the optic on 1 of the 2 10ge uplinks to that cabinet. The little bit of dust created input drops and resulted in the issue Kris speaks about. The issue was confined to a single cabinet. These sorts of things stink when they happen, but they happen. We worked as quickly as possible, in a professional manner, to address and resolve the problem.

Since when has personally replying saying, "these are considered Colo hardware" and we will charge remote hands to check - It took a week for you to figure out you had dust in your switch, and wonder why I called out Chuck on why you shouldn't retrofit an office into a "data-center"

Chuck IMed Ernie saying "he messed with tech settings that caused issues" - I IMed him personally letting him know what I think about you, you violating US trade embargos, and your cheap network which is barely band-aided together.

@jbiloh said: If anyone else wants to discuss things further I invite you to contact me via email (jbiloh-at-colocrossing.com) and I will be more than happy to chat. Thanks guys :)

Jon is great at replies when it comes to ordering new servers. If you need help, not so much.

Any care to respond on your poor network, per /24 routing, random adds of BroadbandOne and XO.

BTW, I quit HudsonValleyHost because of the constant issues related to your data centers. I got tired of asking for traceroutes to have normal speeds. The LTO offers have handcuffed Ernie into one of the worst data centers I've ever seen.

You should be ashamed of yourself, not sure how you sleep at night running the scam operation you call ColoCrossing.

• Why is everyone using Colocrossing anyway? A year ago, maybe a little less or more, no one had heard of them

• @jbiloh said: For the record, we do not utilize any sort of preferential routing on a per customer basis; all customers should share identical routing/performance experiences.

But why do you do it in Buffalo :( I want to like it but asking my vps provider for a different IP because an odd or even one is lower ping due to routing. My Chicago servers is great though

• KrisKris Member
    edited April 2013

@superpilesos said: Why is everyone using Colocrossing anyway? A year ago, maybe a little less or more, no one had heard of them

Jon Biloh lured in numerous providers with seemingly good / unbeatable deals and bandwidth / contacted many personally with offers.

Bait and switch. Few months in he drops Level3, adds Cogent, oversells his bandwidth, and had my login disabled after I told Chuck what I truly thought about your data center over AIM.

Thanks you twat, that really helped when we had another reboot needed, probably due to your brilliant quality hardware.

Few months working with machines at your low quality data center could make anyone mad. Sorry if Chucky boy didn't like his IMs.

Doesn't change the fact your bandwidth is garbage, you do route on a per customer/ range basis.

BTW: I was actually nice to techs who helped out, but as I said, I did call out techs who made up support replies. I was brought in to HVH to call you out on your support replies / made up issues after 4 hours of downtime.

@Spencer said: But why do you do it in Buffalo :( I want to like it but asking my vps provider for a different IP because an odd or even one is lower ping due to routing. My Chicago servers is great though

That's a load sharing technique between transit providers. Nothing more. You can email [email protected] with inbound/outbound trace routes if you believe there is an issue.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited April 2013

@jbiloh add noction irp or internap fcp to do the load sharing and we'll be happy :)

@concerto49 said: @jbiloh add noction irp or internap fcp to do tge load sharing and we'll be happy :)

We're actually working on some really cool stuff. Maybe that will be in our future.

• @jbiloh said: CenturyLink, which at this pace probably won't be done for another few months.

An optimist, ha!

@Microlinux said: @jbiloh said: CenturyLink, which at this pace probably won't be done for another few months.

An optimist, ha

They are brutal man!

@jbiloh said: There is a significant cost to operate a network with multiple (in our case, 4) transit providers

Yep. As I said, I didn't want to bring cost/etc up since it may make people freak out.

The prefix thing sucked ass and seems to be a recurring thing with most providers we work with. I've considered buying a RADB account but at $1k/y it seems like a lot for a service i'd use literally a couple times.

Francisco

• If you guys really have a serious issue with your provider, why you don't just backup your files inside and move to another service?
    Did a lowendbox monthly fee really makes you a poor person so you can't just move?

In my opinions, if most of you have a serious issue and just move, those services you've left will collapse by itself. Just a time game.

@Francisco said: Yep. As I said, I didn't want to bring cost/etc up since it may make people freak out.

The prefix thing sucked ass and seems to be a recurring thing with most providers we work with. I've considered buying a RADB account but at $1k/y it seems like a lot for a service i'd use literally a couple times.

Francisco

Exactly. We're spending big money to make all of our networks even better. Some folks suggest that we're making decisions with only cost in mind -- clearly that is not the case. If it was I would be running HE. Not 4 separate tier 1 carriers. :)

• @Francisco said: Don't get me wrong, I get a price that Jon likely makes $5/m off me in profit but would we use the location again? Probably not. It's unlikely we'll be racking much more gear over there either and will instead just shove off some to Europe. It's still stable but a lot of that is because Anthony & I planned out the nodes differently than we have in Vegas.

@Francisco buyvm is going to invade Europe?

@Kris said: Bait and switch. Few months in he drops Level3,

For what it's worth, while we were told Level3, I personally knew that there was no way Jon would be able to keep that promise in place unless Level3 gave him $1/mbit on a 10gig commit like they do in some markets.

It's still a good deal. While colo@ came out at the same price but a better network, Jon sweetened the deal on some other things that we've made good use of.

Francisco