Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open-source WHM Reseller Backups
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Open-source WHM Reseller Backups

So, I've been looking at CPBackup but it seems they're charging for it now (no more free licenses). WHMEasyBackup also offers the same thing, but it's $10 for a license.

In case anyone needs something similar, I made a similar script: WHM AutoBackup. It's open source and viewable on GitHub.

Hope it helps out resellers. Screenshot is from a BuyShared reseller account I use to host clients I work with.

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I don't have any use but it looks good. Have any donation link?

Thanked by 1definitelyliam
  • Nice job. Put up a donation link, you never know :)

• @MikeA said:
    I don't have any use but it looks good. Have any donation link?
    @FlamesRunner said:
    Nice job. Put up a donation link, you never know :)

Heh. Donation link added to the README. Thanks!

• I looked at it just quickly (but haven't tried it, yet) and I'm just wondering one thing; does it leave any traces on the cPanel server with regards to backups, or does it "clean up" after itself and only push the backups to the destinations, without leaving large archives in every homedir or wherever?

Thanks!

• @k0nsl said:
    I looked at it just quickly (but haven't tried it, yet) and I'm just wondering one thing; does it leave any traces on the cPanel server with regards to backups, or does it "clean up" after itself and only push the backups to the destinations, without leaving large archives in every homedir or wherever?

Thanks!

It's basically a wrapper for the cPanel API 1 Fileman::fullbackup function. I think it doesn't clean up after itself if the cPanel API does not, since the script itself does not bother with logging in to the user's account and deleting it.

If I remember correctly, if you create a Full Backup in cPanel as a normal user and you use remote destinations, it deletes the archive after transfer. Although it's been a while since I've managed sites from cPanel (I use a VPS for mine, these are just for my clients) so that may be incorrect.

• @definitelyliam said:

@k0nsl said:
    I looked at it just quickly (but haven't tried it, yet) and I'm just wondering one thing; does it leave any traces on the cPanel server with regards to backups, or does it "clean up" after itself and only push the backups to the destinations, without leaving large archives in every homedir or wherever?

Thanks!

It's basically a wrapper for the cPanel API 1 Fileman::fullbackup function. I think it doesn't clean up after itself if the cPanel API does not, since the script itself does not bother with logging in to the user's account and deleting it.

If I remember correctly, if you create a Full Backup in cPanel as a normal user and you use remote destinations, it deletes the archive after transfer. Although it's been a while since I've managed sites from cPanel (I use a VPS for mine, these are just for my clients) so that may be incorrect.

Added a cleanup script just in case. Although it doesn't take into account WHEN you made the backup, just deletes all backups in a home dir (if any).

Didn't bother adding a date range checker for backups, it just deletes any backup file it finds when you run the cleanup script. I suppose a date checker isn't too hard to add in the future (probably using the Carbon library or something) but for now, if a need arises, the cleanup script does its job.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • I created php script have better improvements and the php script called everyweek by cron job to backup all accounts on a storage VPS using ftp , the reseller account is also from buyshared and I used cpanel API so the backups is not saved on the cpanel and only in the VPS,, the next step I want to create a script to compare daily backups on the storage server and save the changes only to cleanup some space, even if the VPS is 512gb for 17a
    Euro/year from time4vps

Thanked by 2Mridul Acacy
  • Good work mate. Cheers :)

Thanked by 1definitelyliam
  • @Jorbox said:
    I created php script have better improvements and the php script called everyweek by cron job to backup all accounts on a storage VPS using ftp , the reseller account is also from buyshared and I used cpanel API so the backups is not saved on the cpanel and only in the VPS,, the next step I want to create a script to compare daily backups on the storage server and save the changes only to cleanup some space, even if the VPS is 512gb for 17a
    Euro/year from time4vps

/derail

Congrats on making a script, care to share?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Very cool!

Francisco

• Added a retrieval script to work around the API not sending files to the destination.

Right now I have this running via cron to save backups to a folder, then copied over to a Backblaze B2 bucket via rclone before being deleted from the server. Hack-y but it works.