Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Test-server opinion: GoDad or NameC for budget $1/mth shared WP hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Test-server opinion: GoDad or NameC for budget $1/mth shared WP hosting

Background:
Tired of Xammp/NginX emulation on Windows. (I just received a RaspPi 3b2 and the plan is to eventually run Ubuntu/NginX locally).

This hosting will be for nothing more than a test server to view & tinker with a few WP website designs. Price seems reasonable (aka cheap) even by LEB standards :-)
Any reason NOT to get one from the above provider for $12 for the first yr?

Or did my comment about purchasing a Pi just answer my own question... Light a candle under my A$$, read the tutorials and re-learn the steps to create a separate working Linux server enviroment

Comments

• huh?

• UnixfyUnixfy Member
    edited October 2016

Please don't use all of those "abbreviations". Barely anyone can understand what you're saying.

So either way @IHaveADarkPassenger he's asking whether he should use GoDaddy, NameCheap, or his Raspberry Pi to host WordPress.

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited October 2016

@karatekidmonkey said:
    Please don't use all of those "abbreviations". Barely anyone can understand what you're saying.

So either way @IHaveADarkPassenger he's asking whether he should use GoDaddy, NameCheap, or his Raspberry Pi to host WordPress.

Well, I understood the GoDaddy & Namecheap part, but everything else read pretty poorly..maybe it just me.

I wouldn't advise using either of the two providers if performance is of any concern to you, neither are known for decent web hosting. GoDaddy has been working hard for the last year or so to completely revamp their hosting, but everything I have read leads me to believe they have a long way to go.

Another option imo would be www.podracks.co.uk - They do it for £15/year + 20% discount at present.

I have never used a PI, so not certain how well that would go, but I doubt "great" performance would be there either, probably just a headache.

What about setting up a VM on your PC (VMWare Workstation, Hyper-V, etc.)?

• cheap shared hosting you say ? Buyshared, ImpactVPS, Hostus, Hostmantis are all excellent options.

But if you really want to choose between GD and NC, Namecheap all the way.

• Buyshared all the way. @Francisco

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • If you want to make use the raspy, use it.

It can handle about 100 users / second with nginx. Depends on how much the tweak.

Currently I'm running it for local site (indonesian), a mining software(minera) and tor hidden service.

But if you want to spend more dollars to provider such namecheap, and with less management/headache/coding, you are always free to make the decission :)

• Don't forget @Ishaq's PageClick is also an option.

Go with shared hosting so you can focus on webdev-fiddling, and avoid sysadmin-headaches.

Thanked by 1Ishaq
  • +1 for PageClick, Havent treied Buyshared.

Thanked by 1Ishaq
  • Get one from buyshared. $5/year and rock solid. Great for messing around with some designs and no need to worry about any server administration.

Thanked by 1iSky
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

I use BuyShared for testing in a shared environment, no issues :)

Although I'm fancy and splurged on the $2/month reseller plan.

• +1 for ImpactShared.
    +1 for PageClick

You can't get more value for your money.

Thanked by 1Ishaq
  • +1 buyshared

• for buyshared.
  • +1 Buyshared