Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Host a small html site on my iPhone?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Host a small html site on my iPhone?

WHTWHT Member

I know this will be in the future normal but am not able to find any tutorial how can I turn my iPhone into a webserver and host a small html site.

We have our phones 24/7 on (100% uptime) and we do not use it.

Thanks

Comments

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

I'm guessing that first of all you'd need a dynamic DNS client, since your IP will always be changing (at least mine does on my cell).

Also, I don't really think this is possible without jailbreaking, as (as far as I know) the iPhone doesn't allow apps to run indefinitely in the background, and it will close them after a while they've been inactive, to save up power and make room for active apps to run in bg.

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed
  • How would you deal with your dynamic ip?. You would never be able to use Wifi again for a start.

Doubt you will have any luck with Ios, maybe a hacked android?

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Haha, something new every day, can I host my website in bluetooth speakers? Haha

• You can host your website on a surveilance camera.

Thanked by 2WHT ManofServer
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@tr1cky said:
    You can host your website on a surveilance camera.

These cameras do use static IP address and depends on camera, they do use small local web server.

• adxnadxn Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2016

try to host ur site in a toaster! those pony pictures will never load tho!

• WHT said: We have our phones 24/7 on (100% uptime) and we do not use it.

You massively fail to understand how standby works on ARM based CPUs and how iOS handles your background app. Your phone shuts down nearly entirely until a counter runs up and it picks up mail and similar (also SNS), a webserver would not respond to the first packet at all unless you keep the phone permanently on (which means on-on, not standby on, app not foregrounded but as mental image that fits).

I back then had nginx on my original iPhone, was pretty simple considering Cydia had the usual gcc/make/g++ packages and a root shell (oh dear alpine... some will get it :p).

If you want something more interesting to use Linux on get a Nokia N800/N810/N900 (old, cheap) or a Nexus 4/Nexus 5 and run Sailfish which essentially is Debian in some way.

https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations

https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris

• WHT said: I know this will be in the future normal but am not able to find any tutorial how can I turn my iPhone into a webserver and host a small html site.

Thanks

You have 100% network uptime? I know I don't, and I wouldn't want to be restricted in my movement because i was worried about moving out of signal range. Seems a daft idea to me.

That said, have a look at this, I installed it a while back for banter: http://ios-webstack.tk/install

Thanked by 1WHT
  • Yes it's possible. Using OpenVPN to provide a static internal IP and then having a jailbroken iPhone running Nginx and PHP through Cydia. 100% possible and yes I have done it when you need a monitoring script locally and you don't always have your laptop. Yes it could have been on a remote server but what if that went down?

• William said: Cydia had the usual gcc/make/g++ packages and a root shell (oh dear alpine...

Heh... Heh.. I remember running tcpdump on mine.

• WHTWHT Member

@Nekki said:

WHT said: I know this will be in the future normal but am not able to find any tutorial how can I turn my iPhone into a webserver and host a small html site.

Thanks

You have 100% network uptime? I know I don't, and I wouldn't want to be restricted in my movement because i was worried about moving out of signal range. Seems a daft idea to me.

That said, have a look at this, I installed it a while back for banter: http://ios-webstack.tk/install

This looks great! Thanks.

• I have seen websites hosted on android phones but not iPhones.

• As above, don't think it's possible due to Apple locking it down - maybe on Android but then you've also got the issue of the times when your phone is moving and therefore will be changing IP's constantly as it switches cell towers etc and it's not static so its near impossible.

• Oh, holy hell, ignore the peanut gallery. There are tons of existing apps that provide services via a web server (e.g., File Hub). All you have to do is find one that will present files in a way you can use, or get a custom app written. Leave it in the foreground and turn off iOS sleep and you should be fine. Network-wise, even with DHCP I've never seen an IP address for one of my devices change.

Still, I'd sell the phone and buy a RPi if I were looking for a web server on the cheap.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Waiting for offers.

• @raindog308 said:
    Waiting for offers.

I have some iPhone 4Ses. $7?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

OpticalSwoosh said: I have some iPhone 4Ses. $7?

How much is hosting on them, and do you offer custom ISOs?

• @William said:

WHT said: We have our phones 24/7 on (100% uptime) and we do not use it.

You massively fail to understand how standby works on ARM based CPUs and how iOS handles your background app. Your phone shuts down nearly entirely until a counter runs up and it picks up mail and similar (also SNS), a webserver would not respond to the first packet at all unless you keep the phone permanently on (which means on-on, not standby on, app not foregrounded but as mental image that fits).

I back then had nginx on my original iPhone, was pretty simple considering Cydia had the usual gcc/make/g++ packages and a root shell (oh dear alpine... some will get it :p).

If you want something more interesting to use Linux on get a Nokia N800/N810/N900 (old, cheap) or a Nexus 4/Nexus 5 and run Sailfish which essentially is Debian in some way.

https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations

https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris

Shhh! Don't tell Apple's secret!