Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS + Ubuntu 16 Server + Desktop + Remote Desktop = Suggestions?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS + Ubuntu 16 Server + Desktop + Remote Desktop = Suggestions?

Hi Guys,

I am looking to setup a desktop environment on Ubuntu 16 server (KVM VPS) and am in need of suggestion which desktop environment to use as well as the best method to connect to it.

Key desires..

• Light weight
  • Remote Desktop ability without "lag" (Ideally something that's nearly as smooth as remote desktop for windows)
  • Runs on Ubuntu 16 (I can be flexible though, but prefer Ubuntu 16 if possible)

Thanks!

Comments

• I very much enjoy NoMachine + LXDE for a lightweight, responsive desktop. I can help you with a from scratch install and configuration script if interested.

• Openbox works as good but is much lightweight.

• I have found XFCE + x2go to be a good solution which would fit your needs

• Thank you everyone!

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2016

I agree with @Nekki, NoMachine is a good choice if you want something simple. I have a few clients that use it and love it. I've always just stuck with gnome/vnc though for the few times I needed a quick temp setup.

• @MikeA said:
    I agree with @Nekki, NoMachine is a good choice if you want something simple. I have a few clients that use it and love it. I've always just stuck with gnome/vnc though for the few times I needed a quick temp setup.

Thanks! I plan to give it a whack later this evening.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited October 2016

If your client PC has good CPU, I recommend X2Go. It is based on Nomachine 3.x code, but it is highly improved. However its CPU usage can get quite high since its transferred data isn't just image frames so it requires some client processing.

If you have slow CPU on your client PC, you might want to switch to VNC. For example I use tigerVNC client/server at my work with Raspberry Pi 2 as a client machine and it works quite well.