Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colocrossing ipv6 support! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Colocrossing ipv6 support!

2»

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

angstrom said: Perhaps we shouldn't be too hard on jbiloh.

From what I can tell, IPv6 simply hasn't been a priority for CC. Their business and growth hasn't yet depended on IPv6. When this changes, they'll do something about IPv6, but apparently this isn't yet the case.

Perhaps, at various points in the past, CC really intended to introduce IPv6 soon (based on past remarks by jbiloh), but it appears that they then decided against doing so (maybe a case of shifting priorities). Such things happen.

As for that blog post, yes, it's ironic, but it doesn't say anything false.

yeah, i'm only having fun, the blog post is essentially the equivalent of Blackberry doing a blog post on the benefits of Android.

• sinsin Member

On a related note, IPv6 users that access Google is up to 14.19%

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

angstrom said: Perhaps we shouldn't be too hard on jbiloh.

From what I can tell, IPv6 simply hasn't been a priority for CC. Their business and growth hasn't yet depended on IPv6. When this changes, they'll do something about IPv6, but apparently this isn't yet the case.

Perhaps, at various points in the past, CC really intended to introduce IPv6 soon (based on past remarks by jbiloh), but it appears that they then decided against doing so (maybe a case of shifting priorities). Such things happen.

As for that blog post, yes, it's ironic, but it doesn't say anything false.

There are a lot of variables at play. As the Internet has evolved and the risk factors associated with having a growing network we've had to adapt to the changing landscape. We work hard to ensure our networks are online and performing well, and the track record suggests our methods produce positive results.

IPv6 will happen on the ColoCrossing network, but not yet. Currently out top priority is performance, reliability and security. Adding IPv6 doesn't benefit those goals (yet).

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

jbiloh said: Adding IPv6 doesn't benefit those goals (yet).

This is getting more bizarre as that pretty much contradicts the blog post haha.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:

jbiloh said: Adding IPv6 doesn't benefit those goals (yet).

This is getting more bizarre as that pretty much contradicts the blog post haha.

One's trying to cash in on page views/google searches, one isn't, pretty simple boss :P

Francisco

• emgemg Veteran

@Francisco said:

Remember, CC didn't build their platform from the ground up, they just have Rio's with maybe some upstream ACL's. If Rio hasn't released proper IPV6 support then there isn't much he can do.

With that being said, IPV6 based DDOS isn't all that common. The biggest flood I've seen over V6 was just around a gbit/sec or so. Normally it's < 100k PPS thrown from some booters using HE tunnels.

Francisco

Regarding IPv6-based DDoS, there is nothing technical that is stopping much larger attacks, other than the lack of native IPv6 at the bot level. Once IPv6 is widely deployed, and infected devices (bots) are able to support IPv6, then large scale IPv6-based DDoS will be just as easy for the attackers and just as prevalent as today's IPv4-based DDoS attacks.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@emg said:

@Francisco said:

Remember, CC didn't build their platform from the ground up, they just have Rio's with maybe some upstream ACL's. If Rio hasn't released proper IPV6 support then there isn't much he can do.

With that being said, IPV6 based DDOS isn't all that common. The biggest flood I've seen over V6 was just around a gbit/sec or so. Normally it's < 100k PPS thrown from some booters using HE tunnels.

Francisco

Regarding IPv6-based DDoS, there is nothing technical that is stopping much larger attacks, other than the lack of native IPv6 at the bot level. Once IPv6 is widely deployed, and infected devices (bots) are able to support IPv6, then large scale IPv6-based DDoS will be just as easy for the attackers and just as prevalent as today's IPv4-based DDoS attacks.

Yes, that's how it normally works :P

Francisco

• @jbiloh I think thats a bunch of bologni, alot of the ddos hardware out there support ipv6 including hardware like cisco, corero, incapsula and riorey.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

ldrrp said: @jbiloh I think thats a bunch of bologni, alot of the ddos hardware out there support ipv6 including hardware like cisco, corero, incapsula and riorey.

Not the way you think it does.