Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best commercial monitoring system - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best commercial monitoring system

2»

Comments

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

uptimedoctor.com has worked pretty well. I think it is owned by HyperSpin, because the PayPal payments are to HyperSpin.

Thanked by 1Foul
  • @hawc said:
    Solarwinds N-able

Was thinking Solarwinds seen as I've used it for years but it's bloody expensive!

Like mentioned pinguzo probably ;)

• At my previous job we used SCOM (MS System Center Operations Manager) to monitor ~1000 Windows servers, ~100 *nix servers, switches, SANs, etc, across 5 datacenters.
    If you are willing to spend the $$$$ and time to set it up, and integrate it with you ticket-system, mail/sms systems, it's a superb tool.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

noen said: MS System Center Operations Manager

That's the evolution of MSMQ right? I remember using it on win 2k server 16 years ago :) probably overkill :)

Thanked by 1Foul
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

SCOM is a nightmare in my experience, we use it at work to "monitor" about 10k servers and it throws way too many false alarms for my liking. The GUI is horrible also and unusable unless you have a lot of time and patience to handle a single task (putting a single server in Maintenance Mode is a journey in itself). And regardless how much hardware you throw at it, the slowness is still painful.

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
    edited October 2016

@KuJoe said:
    SCOM is a nightmare in my experience, we use it at work to "monitor" about 10k servers and it throws way too many false alarms for my liking. The GUI is horrible also and unusable unless you have a lot of time and patience to handle a single task (putting a single server in Maintenance Mode is a journey in itself). And regardless how much hardware you throw at it, the slowness is still painful.

It has not improved much then haha, was it msmq or msqm I forget, how time fly's.

• @Foul said:
    I paid them 2,000 annually a few months ago for 200 hosts. So far they're working great for us.

We're using Datadog at my job, and we're just trying to set up an annual subscription. However, we'll be in a range of 6,000 dollars for 35 hosts, so I'm very interested in understanding how you came to such a low price.

Is this some custom plan you negotiated with them?

Thanked by 1Foul
  • quicksilver03 said: we'll be in a range of 6,000 dollars for 35 hosts,

We've been with them since 2011, the pricing scheme has been updated to nefarious prices.

We're price locked into our old price when they used to be cheaper.

If you need a really good person to chat with about DDHQ // Get in touch with jason.yee[at]datadoghq[dot]com

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

We've used both prtg and zabbix for awhile now. Zabbix is extremely powerful if you're willing to consider hosting it yourself.

• cloudstats.me

jbiloh said: We've used both prtg and zabbix for awhile now. Zabbix is extremely powerful if you're willing to consider hosting it yourself.

I used to run prtg, I found it took a lot less admin time than zabbix in a constantly evolving infrastructure, prtg would always be my first choice for self hosted.

• We use uptimerobot and updown.io as secondary but use Site24x7 for uptime and server monitoring and have been very impressed, the UI takes some getting used to but once it's setup it works very well

• Does anyone know of a monitoring service that has bandwidth monitoring per process?

• @camjac251 said:
    Does anyone know of a monitoring service that has bandwidth monitoring per process?

How, precisely, do you expect something external to do that?

• @WSS said:

@camjac251 said:
    Does anyone know of a monitoring service that has bandwidth monitoring per process?

How, precisely, do you expect something external to do that?

My bad, I thought this was a different thread. I had meant to ask about linux server monitoring services (such as Pinguzo, NodeQuery and NixStats), instead of url uptime monitors.

Happy NecroDay!

I guess if you were prepared to put some effort in you might be able to get a Zabbix agent to do that, maybe with an atop capture.

Not something I would want to get involved in though on any scale.

Thanked by 2Clouvider WSS
    edited February 2017

Anyway, as this has been dug up from the dead now, I should add my conclusions.

PRTG is number 1 for self hosted but also ********* expensive if you do not have access to good licensing.

Monitive is currently the best hosted general monitoring solution by a million miles, thanks @Oliver for the lead on that one a while back.

The one that is most aligned with the hosting world I have seen is being developed by @Awmusic12635 thanks for the early access and opportunity to input, its probably going to be the one I pay for when it is finished.

• I'll have to dig at Monitive- I've never given it more than a cursory glance. I still run Monit for my stuff, and it works pretty well for threshholds, levels of priority/etc.

• pingthat.com from Stablehost is very excellent. Very accurate.

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2017

Is Boundary still a thing? I knew one of the implementers slightly. Looks like it redirect to an BMC site now, so maybe it got acquired. May have always been too expensive to think about at the low end, but:

http://www.bmc.com/truesightpulse

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

AnthonySmith said: PRTG is number 1 for self hosted but also ********* expensive if you do not have access to good licensing.

100 sensors in the free version, get a couple of windows installs and spread the sensors between multiple hosts.