Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

European Fiber Cuts
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

European Fiber Cuts

SpiritSpirit Member
edited December 2011 in General

I noticed IPv6 from some of my Netherland VPSs up and down most of the night, sweden seems unlinked from EfNet/IRCnet few hours already, some german VPSs have issues too and I just got notification from chvps (swiss):

We are experiencing problems with several of our upstream providers in Europe at the moment due to some fiber cuts between Amsterdam and London. We are receiving partial BGP tables from Hurricane Electric and TINET causing routing issues to certain parts of the world. While the network is up at the moment, you will see some instability due to the shifting routes.

Hell of a night for european backbone providers this moment.

Thanked by 2Infinity Jacob

Comments

• Dayumm, This is not good.
    Any news on what upstream providers are having this Issue and if it is affecting everyone globally?

• i currently have 120 messages in inbox from pingdom

merry christmas

• We are receiving partial BGP tables from Hurricane Electric

That's never happened before.

LOL

• The end is now....
    XD

• Yeah, I noticed my German (Inception) VPS could not communicate with a server in Kansas for about 15 minutes. I was confused as I could access the server from home just fine! It did not last long though for me thankfully.

• Hmmm maybe I shouldn't have cut that cable with my swiss army knife?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2011

@luma said: I noticed my German (Inception) VPS could not communicate with a server in Kansas

You mean Netherland Inception Hosting VPS? It seems like IPv6 there is still down.

/me poke AuroraZ :-)

• Looks like a localized IPv6 issue. All IPv4 VPS we have in Europe operating 100%

• That would be because I clipped the blue wire and NOT the red wire. ALWAYS the blue NOT the red.

• @AuroraZ said: That would be because I clipped the blue wire and NOT the red wire. ALWAYS the blue NOT the red.

I thought it was the black wire...

• That would take both out. Black is USUALLY ground. Not always though, depends on whom does the wiring I guess. Want to take one half out cut the red or blue.

• japonjapon Member
    edited December 2011

@AuroraZ said: Black is USUALLY ground.

Woho! Ground is green/yellow in the EU. Black/brown is the pole/phase, blue is neutral.

• Sheeeesh I was just joking around. I didn't and wouldn't cut someone line. Had nothing to do with what had actually happened was just trying to bring a little levity into a bad situation was all.

In the U.S. Black or Green can be ground. Depends on what you are working with and whom did the wiring. It is always best to find a schematic if you can, and know how to read them, before messing with any electrical. I think I will go back to saying nothing again.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Lol.

• classic scene of a movie

What cable to cut?

• classic scene of a movie
    What cable to cut?

I'll cut all of them.