Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Short Term fast Backup Storage Provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Short Term fast Backup Storage Provider

BigBBigB Member
edited October 2016 in Requests

Hello

I need to make a Backup of a Dedicated Server (ovh France) so I can reinstall and restore the files later.

My Current Backup Solution would not be fast enough for a quick up and download of all Data.

Requirements:
I only need the space for a couple of Days.
2TB Storage Capacity
Fast network speed to France ovh (min 100Mbit)
Easy to mount in Linux.

//EDIT:
Please no private offers.

Thanks for your help.

Brian

Comments

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Ive got space on a box within the gra datacenter, make me an offer.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

You might want to move your files to a separate partition and do reinstall. I believe OVH reinstaller does not zero out the disks, so you should be able to recover the data just by recovering the partition manually. Proceed with a caution though.

• @exception0x876 said:
    You might want to move your files to a separate partition and do reinstall.

Thanks, but i want to clean everything.

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

How many days ? I have 4Tb spare space at online.net

• @cfgguy said:
    How many days ? I have 4Tb spare space at online.net

@pbgben said:
    Ive got space on a box within the gra datacenter, make me an offer.

Thanks Guys, but i would prefer a stable product from a Company.
    I may possible need it again in future.

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

No problem. I was giving it for free :) Good Luck hunting

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2016

If you're willing to spend a bit you could get an ARM server from OVH's SYS brand for a month. Their $16 ARM server has a 2TB disk and 250Mbps I believe? https://www.soyoustart.com/us/server-storage/

Edit: Nevermind, didn't see the wait time on setup for the ARM servers :(

• Get hetzner, and cancel it before due date.

• Prices i found:
    DO: Droplet+2TB Storage 7.32$ / day
    Scaleway: VC1 + 2TB 2.064$ / day

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep
  • @BigB said:
    Prices i found:
    DO: Droplet+2TB Storage 7.32$ / day
    Scaleway: VC1 + 2TB 2.064$ / day

Yep, going with someone like DO or Vultr is what I would suggest in this case.
    As you are going to need it only for a short time, this should give to the best flexibility and price-performance ration I guess.

• runabove vps-hdd lab https://www.runabove.com/VPS-HDD.xml

2TB hourly billed, sums up to ~$1 per day. can't tell if new subscriptions are available though.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

time4vps 2tb plan is 8 eur/month

• @Falzo said:
    runabove vps-hdd lab https://www.runabove.com/VPS-HDD.xml
    2TB hourly billed, sums up to ~$1 per day. can't tell if new subscriptions are available though.

Thanks, That would have been perfect, but sadly they don't take new subscribers :(

• Hubic gives free 50GB, is that enough ? or you can buy more. Should be fast being from the same parent

• @mehargags said:
    Hubic gives free 50GB, is that enough ? or you can buy more. Should be fast being from the same parent

Hubic is pretty much worthless..

The bandwidth is limited to 10 Mbit/s upstream and downstream.

• Just came to my mind: What about the backup storage OVH itself provides? As far as I know, they come with 500GB by default - can't this be extended?

• @Bochi said:
    Just came to my mind: What about the backup storage OVH itself provides? As far as I know, they come with 500GB by default - can't this be extended?

Yes but only 5TB for 48€/mo or 10TB for 72€/mo

• @BigB said:

@Bochi said:
    Just came to my mind: What about the backup storage OVH itself provides? As far as I know, they come with 500GB by default - can't this be extended?

Oh my, then forget about the suggestion! :D

• @BigB said:

@Falzo said:
    runabove vps-hdd lab https://www.runabove.com/VPS-HDD.xml

Thanks, That would have been perfect, but sadly they don't take new subscribers :(

I might be able to help you out on this, any specific date or time period in mind for this?

• @BigB said:

@Bochi said:

Again... it depends how much (in GB) data are we talking about. 1GB@10mbps isn't much slow but 1000GB@10mbps will certainly be a snail. Best bet would be a standby VPS

• @mehargags:

BigB said: Requirements: I only need the space for a couple of Days. 2TB Storage Capacity Fast network speed to France ovh (min 100Mbit) Easy to mount in Linux.

;-)

• @Falzo said:

@mehargags:

BigB said: Requirements: I only need the space for a couple of Days. 2TB Storage Capacity Fast network speed to France ovh (min 100Mbit) Easy to mount in Linux.

;-)

missed that.. ;)

• vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep

Have 5tb spare space on ovh gra on raid 5. Drop a PM for test it before buy

• I had very similar needs a couple weeks ago - the best solution I came across was: https://www.hetzner.de/ot/hosting/storagebox/bx40 - 2TB for $9.90

I was maxing out my bandwidth transferring files to it from within hetzner (500mbps) as well as from kimsufi (100mbps)

• Try the arm servers from soyoustart, they are cheap and fast.

https://www.soyoustart.com/us/server-storage/

i´ve got 70mb/s inbound and 1gbit outbound,

• danninovdanninov Member
    edited October 2016

Try Hetzner Online Server Auction:
    Intel Core i7-3770 16 GB 2 x 3 TB € 26.89