Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blocking P2P Traffic on OpenVPN Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Blocking P2P Traffic on OpenVPN Server

Looking at developing a VPN service in Australia. Due to the strict laws in australian im going to need to block P2P traffic (:() on the OpenVPN Servers.

Help will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2016

I couldn't give you an answer but a guess is that you'd need a third party firewall to filter all traffic. I doubt there's an effective way to do this without adding a point of failure. Why run the business out of Australia? Or are you saying you'll be running the actual servers in AU? If so there's more than just P2P you'll need to find a way to block.

Thanked by 1Gravely
  • @MikeA said:
    I couldn't give you an answer but a guess is that you'd need a third party firewall to filter all traffic. I doubt there's an effective way to do this without adding a point of failure. Why run the business out of Australia? Or are you saying you'll be running the actual servers in AU? If so there's more than just P2P you'll need to find a way to block.

Thanks for the feedback. I will be running the servers in Australia as a starter. Yeah i understand that there will be more to block but just wanted to start off getting p2p blocked :) Thanks

• @Gravely said:
    Looking at developing a VPN service in Australia. Due to the strict laws in australian im going to need to block P2P traffic (:() on the OpenVPN Servers.

Help will be greatly appreciated!

P2p is very difficult to block

You can block default torrent ports ...

And block major trackers ip and urls...

If you want to be an ass...you could just block all the ports except 443 and 80

That would surely block torrent and skype too

Though skype can work after little tweaking

• as others said you can't really block p2p in an on/off way. you can discourage the use though by blocking tracker and known supporting IPs. there are some ip/ipset lists available which are meant to whitelist on seedboxes, probably a good start to use these the opposite way and blacklist them ;-)

starting point: https://www.iblocklist.com/lists.php

another way is to try and drop packets on string matching packets, complicated and circumventable though.

good read: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/updating-iptables-to-block-torrent-traffic

Thanked by 1Gravely
  • VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@Falzo said:
    another way is to try and drop packets on string matching packets, complicated and circumventable though.

good read: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/updating-iptables-to-block-torrent-traffic

This method will likely block the majority of p2p attempts. If somebody really wants to torrent, this won't stop them, but the methods on the Digital Ocean post are likely to prevent the majority.