Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Cancellation - Do they Prorate ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Cancellation - Do they Prorate ?

I have a server with Hetzner from serverbiddin which was activated on 20th April 2014. I may not need this server beyond this month and so when I go into check cancellation it says earliest possible date is 20th Oct, 2016

Incase I need some more days and choose 30th Oct, do they Prorate? per day ? or will I be charged for the whole month ?

@Falzo @Amitz ... any pointers ? Raised them a ticket but the answer was robotic rather than helpful.

Appreciate your inputs

Comments

• No. You miss cancelling before the renewal date, they charge you for the complete month.

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • K4Y5 said: No. You miss cancelling before the renewal date, they charge you for the complete month.

This. Sorry not to have better news, @mehargags.

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • I have had the opposite in the past, if you cancel ahead of the earliest possible date then you will be billed for the % of the month between your already "billed" period and your cancellation date.

Only thing's that are billed for a full calendar month are Licenses, this is talking about standard servers so not sure if any different on the serverbiddin.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • Do someone know something about their ddos protection ? It is good or?

• psss! I was pretty sure... they'll charge for full month. Let me wait for their "understandable" reply.

@emtecro their is a full thread for it... request you not to hijack this one

Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • Yes they do prorate.
    At least they did for me in February and Aprll this year.

• you need to cancel before a new invoice/billing occurs. if that happens also the cancellation date in robot will skip a month forward. until then you can cancel even on short periods.

but that wasn't the initial question at all ;-)

so if I am not totally mistaken, YES they will prorate in case you choose any date after the earliest given in their robot, just like @AshleyUK and @hostingwizard_net already pointed out. maybe they don't do for some addons like IPs, licenses and such, but I am pretty sure they do for the main service itself.

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • Really? They prorate? Strange. Never came across this with Hetzner before...

• @Amitz they have nothing to lose on this.
    if a customer decides on the 15. not cancel per 23. but 28. they will gain 5 days, so why not. ;-)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Don't forget to pay a bill either, unless you like laughing at debt collection agencies. They totally send one after you.

Thanked by 2Falzo Mathias
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited October 2016

jarland said: Don't forget to pay a bill either, unless you like laughing at debt collection agencies. They totally send one after you.

Which is quite common in Germany if you don't pay your bills.
    Sending a letter like this to a person in any other country is quite ridiculous of course, but those debt claims are normally sold "en bloc" to a collection agency without any differentiation. My company does the same. You don't pay your invoice? We remind you three times and if you do not react, then it goes directly to the collection agency and we receive a certain percentage of the original debt. The rest is up to the agency - they now own the debt claim and we are out.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jarland said:
    Don't forget to pay a bill either, unless you like laughing at debt collection agencies. They totally send one after you.

Agreed. If you make a contract with any business make sure to pay your bills and keep your part of that contract. Otherwise the other party will have every right to send collection after you.

If you choose to close contracts with business es in other countries make sure you understood the rules and legal terms there beforehand. ;-)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

You could get very unlucky like I did and get charged for months after you cancelled and then be told they cant reverse the charges despite admitting fault and then when you contact your bank they refuse to help because they "do not fight payments that are considered subscriptions".

• chxchx Member

• big company like hetzner won't do prorated refunds also can ask them via their billing department if they do refunds or not they could tell you more then we could

• They dont prorate refunds, they do however reduce the bill for next month in case you cancel halfway through that.

At least 30 days cancellation period if memory serves me correctly.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    You could get very unlucky like I did and get charged for months after you cancelled and then be told they cant reverse the charges despite admitting fault and then when you contact your bank they refuse to help because they "do not fight payments that are considered subscriptions".

Sounds like my servdiscount experience. Cancelled. Somehow didn't work (which they admitted was their fault) and they kept charging me for months. Very annoying.

• I once cancelled a regular server (not serverbid) a little bit after the cancellation date and they accepted it without charging for another month.

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited October 2016

Thanks everyone...
    Following the uncertainty if they'd prorate or not, I have indeed setup a cancellation request scheduled for 20th (my bill generates on 21st).

Though I do feel they would prorate as they were offering upto 31st in the cancellation date selection but I just got everything backed up and it isn't worth taking risk of! cheers :)

@Saragoldfarb said:

Sounds like my servdiscount experience. Cancelled. Somehow didn't work (which they admitted was their fault) and they kept charging me for months. Very annoying.

This concerns me... What do you suggest to make sure I'm not being charged after the cancellation. Don't want to get into the hassle of tickets and refunds

EDIT:
    Got a reply from Hetzner:
    In this case your server will billed for 10 days not for the whole month.

So YES Hetzner prorate your billing if needed... :)

• @mehargags said:
    Thanks everyone...
    Following the uncertainty if they'd prorate or not, I have indeed setup a cancellation request scheduled for 20th (my bill generates on 21st).

Though I do feel they would prorate as they were offering upto 31st in the cancellation date selection but I just got everything backed up and it isn't worth taking risk of! cheers :)

@Saragoldfarb said:

This concerns me... What do you suggest to make sure I'm not being charged after the cancellation. Don't want to get into the hassle of tickets and refunds

EDIT:
    Got a reply from Hetzner:
    In this case your server will billed for 10 days not for the whole month.

So YES Hetzner prorate your billing if needed... :)

Sounds like they recently changed their policies for the good.

Thanks for the update with the official confirmation.